Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like hanging with friends and doing...stuff, but I find myself thinking of crazy, dangerous activities that my friends don't want to do. I like to run around and push the limits but I seem to always be the kid of the group. While my friends enjoy sitting around talking about things in an in-depth manner, I usually don't say much because I see it as a waste of time. Even watching TV has me squirming around. Don't get me wrong, I like small talk, meeting new people, making crude jokes, but not elaborating and going in-depth on the same subject unless I must.

You ESTPs know what I'm talkin about?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like hanging with friends and doing...stuff, but I find myself thinking of crazy, dangerous activities that my friends don't want to do. I like to run around and push the limits but I seem to always be the kid of the group. While my friends enjoy sitting around talking about things in an in-depth manner, I usually don't say much because I see it as a waste of time. Even watching TV has me squirming around. Don't get me wrong, I like small talk, meeting new people, making crude jokes, but not elaborating and going in-depth on the same subject unless I must.

Absolutely. The whole small talk thing gets old after awhile. It seems mundane and that even though you're talking with another person, it's like you're just reading off of a script and you don't add much to it. I guess that's where the jokes play in...to make the small talk more exciting. But it's hard to keep a serious conversation for a length of time. I fidget around, start looking around, but I keep my mouth shut because I don't want to be rude. Finally after awhile, I'll suggest we go somewhere and if they don't want to do anything, I'll just head for home or go for a jog.

You're going through the exact same thing I went through a couple years ago. I'm only 20 years old, but I started to really look inward and think about my behavior and what I did once I got out of high school. Was I different than a lot of my friends? Yeah. Is there something wrong with me because I just don't want to sit and talk all the time? Hell no! We desire action and that's what sets up apart in the social world and in the work world. We add more to the social experience by showing who we are as opposed to just saying who we are.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I agree, small talk gets old quickly. As for doing dangerous activities? Doing so seems quite illogical, given the risk involved. (i.e. base jumping, street racing, stealing, etc.) Unless I misinterpreted what you meant by "dangerous activities"

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I hate sitting around talking with friends when we could be out doing something better. I see chatting as a prelude to getting up, getting in someone's car and going somewhere to do something fun.

but when I'm bored at work (like right now) and want to talk, that's what forums/twitter/FB/texting is for.

·
Registered
703 Posts
While my friends enjoy sitting around talking about things in an in-depth manner, I usually don't say much because I see it as a waste of time. Even watching TV has me squirming around. Don't get me wrong, I like small talk, meeting new people, making crude jokes, but not elaborating and going in-depth on the same subject unless I must.

Adrenaline, seeing how much E you have explains what is going on with you. I am very close to I on the E/I and close to N on the S/N scale.

I do enjoy meeting new people, and I usually can find a common interest with them, but sometimes they just bore me to death. There was a lady on a rental car bus who wanted to talk. We exchanged pleasantries and then she went on about the weather on her vacations. "Sometimes it rains and sometimes it's clear", she said. Just for giggles, I asked her what she thought the weather would be like on her upcoming vacation, and she said, "I don't know. It may be clear unless of course it rains." That was the longest five minute bus ride of my life.

As a doer, I use conversations as planning stages for something to do. What was the best ride at this amusement park? Where was the nicest spot you have gone on for vacation? And because feeling is our trickster, I try to rely on others to help me out. How did you feel when you started out a business? What is like going through a death, a divorce ETC?

So for the most part, I use conversation as a means to laugh but also for data mining. I am always on the lookout for new ideas, fresh approaches, or under the radar information. I am not sure if you want to change with regards to in depth conversation or not, A, but if you look at a means to help you with future plans, it can be a powerful tool.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I agree, small talk gets old quickly. As for doing dangerous activities? Doing so seems quite illogical, given the risk involved. (i.e. base jumping, street racing, stealing, etc.) Unless I misinterpreted what you meant by "dangerous activities"
Well that makes sense since you aren't an ESTP.

God you have decided to come to the sensor side? I'm a bit surprised

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im in the sme boat as adrenaline & derosa90

small talk is boring, people keep blabbing about stuff that I really dont care about. So I try to addsome fun to the mix. I appreciate the friends I have but majority of the time all they want to do is "chill" at someones house and watch sports on TV. None of them skateboard, BMX, snowboard, go-kart race.I dont drink nor smoke therefore when they have parties it drains my energy. We have small tight-knit group of friends(5 of us total) and I feel like the oddball.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
God you have decided to come to the sensor side? I'm a bit surprised
That I did. So now you can say you're godlike. ;-P

I think I'm more SP than NT. In fact, if I didn't have a tedious, slow, boring desk job where I'm alone in the office the whole day (and sometimes night), I wouldn't even be on forums like this. :crazy:

·
Registered
94 Posts
small talk can bore me to death!! but i generally think thats becasue i find most people boring. like my friends...god love em but i mean allll they wanna do is sit on the couch at someones house and watch tv and talk, talk ,talk....i rather actually DO something! they dont even call me to go to the movies anymore becasue they know i wont go. i rather go bar hopping in hoboken or something lol im always coming up with diff things for my friends and i to do but they just look at me like i have 6 heads. lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
small talk can bore me to death!! but i generally think thats becasue i find most people boring. like my friends...god love em but i mean allll they wanna do is sit on the couch at someones house and watch tv and talk, talk ,talk....i rather actually DO something! they dont even call me to go to the movies anymore becasue they know i wont go. i rather go bar hopping in hoboken or something lol im always coming up with diff things for my friends and i to do but they just look at me like i have 6 heads. lol
I'm right with you man. Last night I met at a friends house for a game of fugitive. We had enough people to play but the majority decided we invite 2 or 3 people. Anyway, we ended up waiting for about an hour and a half sittin around and talking. The game of fugitive actually started 2 hours later than it was supposed to.:crying:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts