Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has gotten me really into character typology for the last 6 months or so, and now that I am typing characters I am seeing that a majority of the INTJ characters make me face palm. There's this one my girlfriend says reminds her a lot of me (also when unhealthy,) and while I can see it to some degree it's not something to really be proud of. Anyone else think a lot of INTJ characters could be pretentious assholes or am I alone here?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
My girlfriend has gotten me really into character typology for the last 6 months or so, and now that I am typing characters I am seeing that a majority of the INTJ characters make me face palm. There's this one my girlfriend says reminds her a lot of me (also when unhealthy,) and while I can see it to some degree it's not something to really be proud of. Anyone else think a lot of INTJ characters could be pretentious assholes or am I alone here?
Most writers probably don't build characters based on personality theories. If they do, you will have an easier time typing the characters because the cause and action jive with the type's characteristics.

It's hard to type characters if there are multiple re-writes by different writers or by a team of writers for years (for TV series). This is why sometimes viewers find it jarring when a character would do something that didn't fit. Subconsciously we can recognize personalities from dealing with and knowing ppl in real life. We may see a TV character does something that seems off and can't pinpoint why we think it's "out of character". It's most likely writers not keeping the character coherent.

Movie characters can be a amalgamation of a couple of personality types.

As for INTJ negative stereotypes, it's unfortunate that the writers would zero in on the worst nerdy traits to get laughs from exaggeration. INTJs seem to have the most noticeable stereotypes. I bet ENFPs hate seeing the Manic Pixie Dream Girl stereotype on screen as if they are all tinkerbells. ;-)

Reactions: Goliath

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that actually makes a lot of sense. Characters are indeed fictitious, and thus cannot befit a true INTJ-personality. However, many INTJ characters on TV can be assholes and thus I have to cringe to some extent at them. It would just be more interesting to say, share a personality type with Captain America or someone relatively 'cooler' than most INTJs tend to be.

I mean, honestly. I just got into this within the last few months, but I think the only cool person INTJs have is Batman.

Yes, I read a lot of comic books I guess.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Simply because they make good Byronic heros. I don't watch TV, but fictional INTJs in general do seem to follow a certain patterns, or at least characters who are likely to be diagnosed as INTJs due to stereotypes regardless of their actual types. The patterns being: intelligent, confident, brooding, outspoken, dark, and tactless (but not necessarily without charm). This type of character can be very attractive. Think Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice), Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre), Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights), or Christian Grey (50 Shades) (thought some of their types may be disputable). As you can see, these types of characters can be very attractive, and they resonate with certain INTJ stereotypes. Thus, INTJ traits get blown completely out of proportion for the sake of wetting panties everywhere.
@Goliath

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simply because they make good Byronic heros. I don't watch TV, but fictional INTJs in general do seem to follow a certain patterns, or at least characters who are likely to be diagnosed as INTJs due to stereotypes regardless of their actual types. The patterns being: intelligent, confident, brooding, outspoken, dark, and tactless (but not necessarily without charm). This type of character can be very attractive. Think Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice), Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre), Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights), or Christian Grey (50 Shades) (thought some of their types may be disputable). As you can see, these types of characters can be very attractive, and they resonate with certain INTJ stereotypes. Thus, INTJ traits get blown completely out of proportion for the sake of wetting panties everywhere.
@Goliath
Well, I personally don't find any of those characters attractive being I am a heterosexual male, so I see nothing. I understand your opinion, however. Even though I find the sexuality of INTJs in media to be a pretty funny theory.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Well, I personally don't find any of those characters attractive being I am a heterosexual male, so I see nothing. I understand your opinion, however. Even though I find the sexuality of INTJs in media to be a pretty funny theory.
The Influence Of Lord Byrons Byronic Hero English Literature Essay
What is Erotic To Women Readers And Why We Love Jack And Mr. Rochester
Byronic Hero: Definition, Characteristics & Examples - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

Of course, I'm not saying that all INTJ characters are Byronic heroes, or all Byronic heroes are INTJs, but there certainly is overlap (AS I POINTED OUT ABOVE). And even though it may be a funny concept, INTJs still get laid, which is why they exist in such large populations in the first place (according to my calculation, there are 146 059 603 INTJs in the world, and one more is added every 11 seconds). Even if it isn't all of it, a large portion of type is heritable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Influence Of Lord Byrons Byronic Hero English Literature Essay
What is Erotic To Women Readers And Why We Love Jack And Mr. Rochester
Byronic Hero: Definition, Characteristics & Examples - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

Of course, I'm not saying that all INTJ characters are Byronic heroes, or all Byronic heroes are INTJs, but there certainly is overlap (AS I POINTED OUT ABOVE). And even though it may be a funny concept, INTJs still get laid, which is why they exist in such large populations in the first place (according to my calculation, there are 146 059 603 INTJs in the world, and one more is added every 11 seconds). Even if it isn't all of it, a large portion of type is heritable.
Were you also an English major in college? The Byronic hero is something I am familiar with. I can see some INTJ characters in this light, yes. But I find it funny nonetheless because there are many on TV who are socially unadjusted and that is the main reason for my disgust. (Along with some of the life choices they make.)

In any case, survival of the fittest I understand. I am indeed engaged, so clearly I agree with you on a real-life level. Nice calculations by the way. Impressive.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I don't watch TV.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I don't watch TV.
Me neither. I didn't know that there were other people in the world who don't watch TV.

I do watch Star Trek on DVD, though, and I facepalm about Picard's pointless romance with Doctor Crusher. You can just tell that it's one of those tropes where the female ends up saying "I caaaaaaaaan't." all the time for no reason. Come on, they are both single, they are good friends and a little bit in love, her memories of her dead husband never get in the way of her shagging some random guy, but .....she caaaaaan't. If I was him I would have moved on long ago.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Me neither. I didn't know that there were other people in the world who don't watch TV.

I do watch Star Trek on DVD, though, and I facepalm about Picard's pointless romance with Doctor Crusher. You can just tell that it's one of those tropes where the female ends up saying "I caaaaaaaaan't." all the time for no reason. Come on, they are both single, they are good friends and a little bit in love, her memories of her dead husband never get in the way of her shagging some random guy, but .....she caaaaaan't. If I was him I would have moved on long ago.
I've never seen Star Trek. I imagine I probably wouldn't like it. I don't like old-fashioned special fx (that's the main reason I can't get into Doctor Who. It's so cheesy).

But you're not alone! I don't like TV because it isn't interactive. I need to be engaging with the thing I'm doing or I get bored.

TV is brainless and not engaging. You just sit there and stare at a box. It kills me. I can't do it. AND THE ADVERTISEMENTS. I can't.

I hate ads so much.

I think because I shelter myself so much, I need some sort of way to extravert. And the internet fills that void for me. Because I can write and share my thoughts as they come. Very stream-of-thought.

And TV doesn't give me that outlet. It's all take and no give.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The main character on Bones has been said to be INTJ. In the first couple of seasons I could comfortably agree. From the third-fourth season on face palms have increased gradually. I no longer watch it though it used to be one of my favorite shows, partly because the writing quality has diminished, but mostly because the character of bones has become one lump of INTJ nonsense stereotypes. The producers refuse to say she has Asperger's, which just makes her character an obnoxious moron. (In gaming terms - superior intelligence and disturbingly low wisdom).

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
The main character on Bones has been said to be INTJ. In the first couple of seasons I could comfortably agree. From the third-fourth season on face palms have increased gradually. I no longer watch it though it used to be one of my favorite shows, partly because the writing quality has diminished, but mostly because the character of bones has become one lump of INTJ nonsense stereotypes. The producers refuse to say she has Asperger's, which just makes her character an obnoxious moron. (In gaming terms - superior intelligence and disturbingly low wisdom).
I always thought of her as an ISTJ. She doesn't seem like a very intuitive person to me.

She's incredibly slow-paced and detail-focused. If I were in her shoes, I would see like one thing and then immediately think "OH, THIS MUST HAVE BEEN WAHT HAPEPEND !!1"

And like no she ain't having that shit. She's like so. damn. slow. Has to take in all the details before she comes up with any ideas.

Also she just doesn't understand sarcasm at all. She is such a stick in the mud. Her partner is so sarcastic (I think his name is Booth?) and she never ever gets it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I always thought of her as an ISTJ. She doesn't seem like a very intuitive person to me.

She's incredibly slow-paced and detail-focused. If I were in her shoes, I would see like one thing and then immediately think "OH, THIS MUST HAVE BEEN WAHT HAPEPEND !!1"

And like no she ain't having that shit. She's like so. damn. slow. Has to take in all the details before she comes up with any ideas.

Also she just doesn't understand sarcasm at all. She is such a stick in the mud. Her partner is so sarcastic (I think his name is Booth?) and she never ever gets it.
She was not like that in the first season, and not so much in the second. She was funny and intuitive, just had a different approach to social interaction and not very emotional.
After that, I agree. And for some reason they started having her speak differently; that very slow, I-have-to-enunciate-every-single-word-in-a-deep-tone-all-of-a-sudden speech.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts