Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, the title box isn't big enough for this one :crazy:

Having thoroughly questioned every other part of my typing except the "I" it's time to correct that. The I/E dichotomy seems the easiest to self asses, but having thought similarly of J/P and been proven wrong maybe this is the same?

In light of this I am looking for any information about what happens when an extrovert withdraws completely from seeking external experience or social contact for years. I'm talking living the life of a stereotypical unhealthy, asexual INTx, living entirely inside their head to the point of lying to them-self about enjoying "doing" anything.

I'm not sure what this would be called to search it myself so any links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, the title box isn't big enough for this one :crazy:

Having thoroughly questioned every other part of my typing except the "I" it's time to correct that. The I/E dichotomy seems the easiest to self asses, but having though similarly of J/P and been proven wrong maybe this is the same?

In light of this I am looking for any information about what happens when an extrovert thinks that they are a drain on others and withdraws completely from seeking external experience or contact. I'm talking living the life of a stereotypical unhealthy, asexual INTx, living entirely inside their head to the point of lying to them-self about enjoying "doing" anything.

I'm not sure what this would be called to search it myself so any links would be appreciated.
I'm confused about your statement. Are you saying that you feel like you're a drain on others, or that others are a drain on you?

Normally, introverts feel drained themselves, rather than being draining on others. Introverts tend to really appreciate and be protective over their personal space where they can regenerate their energies through their introversions. The I/E function isn't about who you're with, it's about where you get your primary energy from.

From what you phrased (at least in my opinion), it looks like you are saying that you're a drain on others, when the real important question is what's draining on you? Do you get drained from too much time alone, or are you drained from too much time with others?

Best,
S

Reactions: suicidal_orange

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Considered INFJ?

On your actual question, really denying your extraversion as an extravert sounds strange to me. But if you are speaking more properly of social interaction, I can see that happening. From my own guessing I would suggest that such a person would focus their external attitude on other things than people to compensate. But I have no real experience of this.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silas the Idealist said:
The I/E function isn't about who you're with, it's about where you get your primary energy from.
Oh yes I know the theory, what I don't know is myself but I don't want to pollute this thread with personal details so I have removed what little there was from the OP. Suffice it to say that I rarely leave my room except to go to work but am far happier doing a job where the phone keeps ringing than one where it rarely rings, and if dragged out to town am usually there until the very end despite sitting in near silence feeling completely alien to the group.

Penchant said:
Considered INFJ?
Yes, strongly. But that hardly seems relevant... I/E and the functions will decide my type, not a description.

Penchant said:
On your actual question, really denying your extraversion as an extravert sounds strange to me
Indeed, which is why it's taken a year to question it!

Penchant said:
I go into seclusion when I feel like the world has drained me. I know ENFPs tend to do this.
I guess this is just for a couple of days/weeks rather than long term?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Er, the OP sounds a bit like depression, not introversion..... There are definitely depressed, withdrawn Es. A healthy, but still pronounced introvert may need a lot of alone time & space, but will still enjoy and even need stimulation outside of themselves. Not enjoying anything is a sign of depression, I think...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find the prospect very depressing. I went through a period years back where I was pretty withdrawn and depressed and it felt like being forced into a void. I'm not the most sociable and outgoing person in the world, but it depressed me to spend a single day alone.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes, strongly. But that hardly seems relevant... I/E and the functions will decide my type, not a description.
No, it really isn't. Just a thought I wanted to share...

As for deciding your type, I do certainly suggest that you look beyond type desciptions. But don't stop at looking at the dichotomies either. I/E just as P/J do not say very much in itself. If you are unsure about your type and are serious about really finding your best fit, do have a look the cognitive functions—dominant Te is not dominant Se is not dominant Ne is not dominant Fe, despite them all being E.

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OrangeAppled said:
Er, the OP sounds a bit like depression, not introversion..... There are definitely depressed, withdrawn Es. A healthy, but still pronounced introvert may need a lot of alone time & space, but will still enjoy and even need stimulation outside of themselves. Not enjoying anything is a sign of depression, I think...
Yeah, I'm certainly not happy. The question is can after long enough thinking negatively about traditional extroverted pleasures a person convince them-self they prefer spending time alone reading and thinking, and when they do get too annoyed with isolation go for a walk in the countryside rather than calling a "friend"? Maybe this would be better asked in the general psychology section...

Rasputin4 said:
I went through a period years back where I was pretty withdrawn and depressed and it felt like being forced into a void..
I was for a long time suicidally depressed, but now it does kinda feel like a void. Life must go on and must have a point yet I'm not inspired to find it.

penchant said:
As for deciding your type, I do certainly suggest that you look beyond type desciptions. But don't stop at looking at the dichotomies either. I/E just as P/J do not say very much in itself. If you are unsure about your type and are serious about really finding your best fit, do have a look the cognitive functions
The problem is intuition. I can read anything and relate it to myself. I am not trying to type myself at the moment, I am trying to improve my life. If I'm trying to be the best introvert I can be but I'm an extrovert I'm wasting my time!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

I'd put a thread in the ENTP forum and ask for help. The ENTPs seem to talk a lot about depression... :happy:

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I go into seclusion when I feel like the world has drained me. I know ENFPs tend to do this.
i just did this today. successive nights of partying with sensors left me feeling sucked dry- i'm the only person not going on the "partybus" and staying in my hostel room instead posting on pc.
i hate it when this happens. i feel like such a loner but i know as soon as i feel better ill be back on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts