Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have unexplained "feelings" or "nausea" around certain people for no reason?

I have had weird feelings when sitting next to girls as well as being near guys with estrogen. I'm not sure if that means I am attracted to them or not. It feels kinda like a butterfly in your stomach type of feeling and a bit of tingling.. I don't know how to explain.

I mostly talk to guys and hang around them more than women. Idk.. I like male friendships.. but female friendships has always been weird for me. I don't know why. I practically ignore them in conversations and stuff no good reason. I don't think that I would be attracted to women if I don't look at them in a sexual way.

·
Registered
771 Posts
being friends with female is always tough for me too. most girls taught to compete with each other in all aspect since young, so they are not as supportive like a male buddy would (not that I have one, although I want one).

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
being friends with female is always tough for me too. most girls taught to compete with each other in all aspect since young, so they are not as supportive like a male buddy would (not that I have one, although I want one).
Say, what!?

Most guys a dicks to each other and almost everything is a competition.

Reactions: Donovan

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Say, what!?

Most guys a dicks to each other and almost everything is a competition.
Men aren't dicks to each other, they make fun of each other. If you can't laugh at yourself then you are seen as not good friend material/dangerous. And I think competition is genderless.'
EDIT: And competition is usually male vs male or female vs female.

Reactions: TheJ

·
Registered
771 Posts
Men aren't dicks to each other, they make fun of each other. If you can't laugh at yourself then you are seen as not good friend material/dangerous. And I think competition is genderless.'
EDIT: And competition is usually male vs male or female vs female.
but the thing is female typically compete against things that they have limited control. i.e. physical appearance, bf and hubands, kids. man also compete and poke fun of each other, but there are not as complicated and vicious as female ones. at least it is more difficult to heard men turn their back against each other.

Reactions: TheJ

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Obviously I don't think all men fall under what I said. Come on people, I'm not stupid. I was just lazy to say otherwise.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
187 Posts
No feelings or nausea.. but in general I hate female friendships.. I've only made a few that I've ever liked.. mostly I find them shallow and undependable.. sooo hypocritical too. Guys tend to be more straight forward an honest so most close friends have been guys.. but I do have about 5 really good, sturdy girl friends. :) These girls though, also say that they don't much care for other girls. ;)

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
I have had weird feelings when sitting next to girls as well as being near guys with estrogen. I'm not sure if that means I am attracted to them or not. It feels kinda like a butterfly in your stomach type of feeling and a bit of tingling.. I don't know how to explain.

I mostly talk to guys and hang around them more than women. Idk.. I like male friendships.. but female friendships has always been weird for me. I don't know why. I practically ignore them in conversations and stuff no good reason. I don't think that I would be attracted to women if I don't look at them in a sexual way.
Your statements are a little confusing. What does '... being near guys with estrogen' mean? Are you suggesting you know that the feelings you are having are directly from the actions of estrogen within yourself? Is that just a guess?

It also seems to me that you are unsure of your orientation maybe? That you are young and still finding your place, is that right? You are attracted to women then? Or both guys and gals?

It's true we often experience nausea or butterflies when we are socially nervous. Nothing causes that more often than being in the presence of someone we consider attractive, male or female. That is perfectly normal. The more the attraction and perhaps the more the fear we have that this attraction is one sided the worse the butterflies are.

It takes a lot of experience and confidence gaining discipline to be able to ignore or conquer that feeling and not let it get the better of you. You will say exactly the wrong thing or act really goofy if you cant get the rush of feelings under control. There are tons of ways to help you do this, to gain control. One way is to think of really boring things and maybe count them in your head. Math is an excellent way to bore down your fear. 2+2=4, 4+4=8! Keep doing that in your head and answer when spoken to with LESS emotion than you have until to regain control.

What causes that butterfly effect is adrenaline. If you can stop your fear response, that will curb the production of adrenaline.

Reactions: angelfish

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Yeah -- I mean, maybe the target of the jibe might see the other guy as being a dick, but in general I would say guys are less personal about it, it's more jesting / bumping around for kicks. I think women groups are liable to take that kind of thing personally.

So then you get women reading men as if they were women and vice versa... I don't know if women understand that guy conflict is less personal / more just joking around, and guys understand that for women conflict with other women is more pointed. There tends to be more social expectation on female interactions and more seems packed into the exchange; there are always connotations to what you say and do, at least with other females.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
This thread is full of ridiculous generalizations.
Walk into a KFC in the South and work the ratios. Generalizations have some truth to them, they just tend to be flawed when you throw in new factors, such as regions, and culture from specific regions. But from the origin of the stereotype, it likely will have some truth to it.

In response to:
"ITS A STEREOTYPE, EVERYONE RUN, ITS DEFINITELY WRONG!"

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Walk into a KFC in the South and work the ratios. Generalizations have some truth to them, they just tend to be flawed when you throw in new factors, such as regions, and culture from specific regions. But from the origin of the stereotype, it likely will have some truth to it.

In response to:
"ITS A STEREOTYPE, EVERYONE RUN, ITS DEFINITELY WRONG!"
So what are you trying to say here, generalizations have truth to them? I don't give a shit. Wasn't even my point.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Yeah -- I mean, maybe the target of the jibe might see the other guy as being a dick, but in general I would say guys are less personal about it, it's more jesting / bumping around for kicks. I think women groups are liable to take that kind of thing personally.

So then you get women reading men as if they were women and vice versa... I don't know if women understand that guy conflict is less personal / more just joking around, and guys understand that for women conflict with other women is more pointed. There tends to be more social expectation on female interactions and more seems packed into the exchange; there are always connotations to what you say and do, at least with other females.
Very true IME.

My close female friends and l liked to stage really outrageous catfights that would NEVAR happen on Earth and troll other women into believing it so we could get them talking :kitteh:

''so you agree, you think you're really pretty?''

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Very true IME.

My close female friends and l liked to stage really outrageous catfights that would NEVAR happen on Earth and troll other women into believing it so we could get them talking :kitteh:

''so you agree, you think you're really pretty?''
^
wistful envy . . . XD

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Obviously I don't think all men fall under what I said. Come on people, I'm not stupid. I was just lazy to say otherwise.
TBH, I'm getting to the point where people pointing out the "generalizations" in other people's comments as if it's some sort of a communication or thought disaster after 100's of years of evolved communication between humans surprises me and makes me wonder if it's actual good intent, or just flat our narcissism.

As for the OP, it could be social anxiety, it could be sexual repression, it could be nothing at all and just part of growing up or whatever .... and if you search on WEBMD, they'll happily tell you that it could be cancer and you should immediately go to a doctor because they're not actually qualified to make a diagnosis but they'll do it anyway *shrug*

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Is it a good feeling or bad feeling?

I often have an anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach around new people, or people I hope will like me for whatever reason. But it's more of a clenchy/nausea feeling than a butterflies feeling.

With people I like romantically I feel both that anxious butterfly feeling but also a very strong physical instinctual pull towards them.

Then finally there is the instinctual "BLECH" feeling that I get around people I dislike, usually because they're pushy or assholey or both. Some people I have a hard time even looking at because I just don't want to be around them. And I recoil if they try to touch me, which can be sort of awkward. This one guy at work the other day - he's actually really nice personally, but he's been annoying the shit out of me recently by frequently interrupting my work to ask me these long, involved questions and making me walk all over the workplace to see the little details involved - but he made a sort of condescending (though I don't think it was meant to be) comment, and tried to give me a fist bump and I recoiled... I think I played it off ok but...
haha oops...

Anyway I think it's really interesting that I'm a head/mental enneatype and not a gut/instinctual type but I definitely have these really strong instinctual physical responses to different people. I assume it correlates with physical touch being my love language too, just something about my body radar being especially strong, for better or worse.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
TBH, I'm getting to the point where people pointing out the "generalizations" in other people's comments as if it's some sort of a communication or thought disaster after 100's of years of evolved communication between humans surprises me and makes me wonder if it's actual good intent, or just flat our narcissism.
I don't know, sometimes I appreciate when someone says something about it. Depending on the conversation, I can feel like the generalizations are so broad or frequent as to render the information essentially useless. Sometimes the broadens or vagueness feels like an elephant in the room and it's refreshing when it's pointed out.

Though I think this conversation was a hard one because the opening post could be interpreted in a number of different ways.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts