Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my research. My research involves the process of hydrogenating graphene. I got into it because I really loved learning quantum mechanics and I know quantum is used in the construction of semi-conductors. For my professor I looked into his research with graphene and found out that his research deals with making it a semi-conductor.

My job is to help make graphene into a semi-conductor. Graphene has all sorts of amazing properties like being 100 times stronger than steel, great heat and electricity conductivity properties and can even self repair its carbon lattice. The issue is that graphene doesn't have a band gap which doesn't allow it to have an electrical difference to be a semi-conductor. You can give it a band gap with chemical process but most chemical process destroy the carbon lattice of the graphene. HOWEVER, carbon loves hydrogen had hyrodognization allows carbon and hydrogen to make covalent bonds, create a band gap, and keep the graphene in tact with its properties.

I pretty much hydrogenize it in a high vacuum and see how to idealize the process and the best way to use graphene as a semi-conductor. If it works I can definitely see graphene replacing silicon.

What's your guys?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'm currently doing a research for my master thesis about Learned Linkage Trees. I liked doing the actual research somewhat, but now I have to write the actual thesis and I haven't done anything in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Nightmaker81, that's cool, makes me think of The Big Bang Theory and their cool looking labs (or maybe that's not cool, lol). Physics is always been the coolest area of research in my view. I only took a couple of physics courses and by the time I was trying to understand Einstein's theory, I realized I did not have the smarts to continue. I was initially most interested in math, then physics. But college is a different beast from high school so I changed majors couple of times and ended up in psych. I got a degree in psych and along the way (and for a number of years afterwards, when I was lucky to have a job) did some research, on implicit learning, on cognitive deterioration due to illness, OCD, etc. We often looked to physics as the example of what good research looks like.

·
Registered
INTP
7,045 Posts
I think I speak for all INTPs when I say our primary research interest is the fascinating results given by the 'Random Article' button on wikipedia.

EDIT: On a serious note, erm it depends on what you class as research? Like, new stuff in new areas? Or just personal stuff? I'm quite heavily researching Chinese, but in a typical INTP way of just seeing random bits and bats everywhere and piecing it together in my eternal mental jigsaw puzzle of understanding. Being in China is certainly helping with this. I'll see a new sentence structure or something and just think, "Ahhhhhh, eureka!" It's quite cool actually.

When I get to the UK I'm restarting my physics degree. I'm not at the stage of doing research yet and, frankly, I'm not that interested in research at the moment anyway. I want to educate myself on the main areas. I don't know enough yet to decide what I'd like to find out. I mean yeah I know there's some ffaarrrrking cool stuff out there. But I'd like to know everything that there is to know, before I dive in any further.

Quite likely I'll branch over to nuclear power, look into technology in that area. Maybe not Cold Fusion as I (typical INTP..?) don't care about the big special 'hot topic'. If anything, I'll do research into the big issue of reducing or eradicating radioactive waste.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nightmaker81, that's cool, makes me think of The Big Bang Theory and their cool looking labs (or maybe that's not cool, lol). Physics is always been the coolest area of research in my view. I only took a couple of physics courses and by the time I was trying to understand Einstein's theory, I realized I did not have the smarts to continue. I was initially most interested in math, then physics. But college is a different beast from high school so I changed majors couple of times and ended up in psych. I got a degree in psych and along the way (and for a number of years afterwards, when I was lucky to have a job) did some research, on implicit learning, on cognitive deterioration due to illness, OCD, etc. We often looked to physics as the example of what good research looks like.
Thanks man! Real life labs are a lot different and our lab sorta smells bad, but we do have a microwave and a toaster! Yeah man research is really fun and it's cool seeing everything you learned in the classroom go towards something. Plus it's nice being able to talk about it with other people and have that feeling that you're doing something to better the world. If you want I can give you a few of my papers, we got some really cool results with using graphene!

I think I speak for all INTPs when I say our primary research interest is the fascinating results given by the 'Random Article' button on wikipedia.

EDIT: On a serious note, erm it depends on what you class as research? Like, new stuff in new areas? Or just personal stuff? I'm quite heavily researching Chinese, but in a typical INTP way of just seeing random bits and bats everywhere and piecing it together in my eternal mental jigsaw puzzle of understanding. Being in China is certainly helping with this. I'll see a new sentence structure or something and just think, "Ahhhhhh, eureka!" It's quite cool actually.

When I get to the UK I'm restarting my physics degree. I'm not at the stage of doing research yet and, frankly, I'm not that interested in research at the moment anyway. I want to educate myself on the main areas. I don't know enough yet to decide what I'd like to find out. I mean yeah I know there's some ffaarrrrking cool stuff out there. But I'd like to know everything that there is to know, before I dive in any further.

Quite likely I'll branch over to nuclear power, look into technology in that area. Maybe not Cold Fusion as I (typical INTP..?) don't care about the big special 'hot topic'. If anything, I'll do research into the big issue of reducing or eradicating radioactive waste.
Yeah for sure man. That's the nice thing about physics is that it has many interdisciplinary aspects about it and it allows the field to be open to many things. My first research lab while starting out was actually in biophysics haha, but it was great getting that experience. There's a lab at my university that sounds similar to what you're doing and they're the high energy physics group. They're the most stereotypical in terms of labs in the sense that you get there, you research, and you get results. My lab is that I walk in with sweatpants, grab a sandwich from the fridge and do stuff. The environment also greatly differs from each research lab, but I really like the more chill environment in mine and the trust my professor has to let me do things on my own time

·
Registered
41 Posts
My type is INFP but I have worked in research and development most of my career in materials, textiles. My final projects were working on smart materials; using conductive materials in textile structures so for example a vest that would measure heart rate.
I was also one of the first to work on 3d printing in the UK; the machine cost the earth :rolleyes:
The funding ran out and our centre closed three years ago.
I really miss that work

·
Registered
617 Posts
When I was younger I wanted to be an astronomer, but NASA has all the fun and I'm from Australia. Mostly these days it's historical research for me too. I have a family genealogy site I'm putting together. Tracing through primary records to discover forgotten stories can be fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts