Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I had a traumatic childhood, I feel like I am not quite sure of my type. I'm pretty sure it's an INTP or ENTP. I probably had severe dissociation as a child, which put me into my imagination and thoughts more than I otherwise would be. I've never enjoyed philosophical systems per se. I love novel ideas, but merely constructing these intellectual systems does not interest me. Life is active, a game meant to be played. The systems should assist one in deepening self-awareness, not just create elaborate thought-pictures. I want a dynamic life, to be involved with others, with some form of action, or at least moreso expression.

Sometimes the test questions confuse me. Do I like working by myself, or alone? Well, I'd prefer to do my work alone, but I like being part of the office environment, making small talk, and will often (at least try) to initiate it. On most Friday nights I wish I were out with friends in restaurants but I also have a deep need to feel liked so perhaps I'm just using social interaction to try to feel better about myself, and am not truly aware of my natural desires. Because I really, really like my time alone too - about the same. But I'm also a little socially anxious, and do not often feel like others share my analytical excitement of theories and of life. I am definitely not a J. I am probably more T than F, but I do have a deep love and appreciation for other humans and for the universe... and could just be out of touch with my Fe. And I'm almost certainly an N.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quiet place here today...

IMO, work doesn't really count. Unless you LOVE your job with a passion, then that's different. What counts is whether in SOCIAL situations (Anything other than work, and business matters) do you prefer to be with a lot of people, or just select few people (2-5) or just yourself?

In social situations, if you are the former (love to hang out with a group/lot of people) more than keep it small chances are good that you are Extroverted. If meeting and socializing with a lot of people make you uncomfortable, then you are more likely Introverted.

When I take these quizzes that ask about job, I think of a job that I love to do rather than a job I don't love. Cuz for me at least, the response WILL be different depends on what kind of job I am doing.

Do I like working by myself, or alone? YES, IF other co-workers are dumb, idiots, and incompetent. But that's not really by choice. Working with incompetent people bothers me.

However, working at a great job with awesome co-workers, you bet that I rather NOT work alone.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Beware of the question "Do you prefer to be alone or with other people when you are stressed out/tired" that determines your whole Extrovert. That is not very accurate!

A LOT of introverts actually prefer to go out with friends when they are stressed out, even though they don't like to hang out with a group people.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I used to be an INTP. My primary function was Ti, I analyzed every idea in my head, I basically lived there. I was afraid of meeting new people and I was only comfortable among a few. But then in my teenage years I developed my Ne to the extent in which it has become my main function ever since. I love the unexpected, the new possibilities you can get from the outside world. And I adore meeting new people and socializing. I know being an extroverted is much more than socialize, but, even though I could be alone for several days amd still be happy and comfortable (so many books to read and series to watch!) I enjoy the company of others and I get my energy from crowded places, from big groups of people, the more the merrier

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well I used to act like I am INTP, because I had a hard time figuring out where and how to meet friends, rather than not wanting to socialize with a lot of people.

Just going out to a bar or club and start talking to strangers gets tired and lame after few times. And work co-workers sucked. I really had trouble as an extrovert when I was younger.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Pretty common for ENTPs to mistype as INTPs. Especially in high school, if depressed, and I'm sure it applies to traumatic situations as well.

Dig around old threads a bit. I'm sure you'll find likeminded people.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definitely thought I was an INTP between high school and college. Then I realized that I was in a family full of SJ types who just hated talking about ideas and things can "could be". When I found some people that were intrigued by ideas and theories, I realized that I loved being around people who like bouncing ideas back and forth.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used to be an INTP. My primary function was Ti, I analyzed every idea in my head, I basically lived there. I was afraid of meeting new people and I was only comfortable among a few. But then in my teenage years I developed my Ne to the extent in which it has become my main function ever since. I love the unexpected, the new possibilities you can get from the outside world. And I adore meeting new people and socializing. I know being an extroverted is much more than socialize, but, even though I could be alone for several days amd still be happy and comfortable (so many books to read and series to watch!) I enjoy the company of others and I get my energy from crowded places, from big groups of people, the more the merrier
Nah, every entp have that phase when he likes to emerge into his own thoughts and forget about the rest.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nah, every entp have that phase when he likes to emerge into his own thoughts and forget about the rest.
yeah, indeed, I still have it hahahaha but I honestly believe I was introverted back then

Reactions: Lifehacker

·
Registered
591 Posts
I lived exactly the same, I was Introverted, and one day, I decided to work on my Introversion, and 'move out' as all my bosses were Extraverted, and I wanted to become one of them. It took several years, one or two, with some horrible phases when I started to take jobs with hundreds peoples to manage. Now, I'm Keen on that. I can't accept any activity if alone.
But under stress, or when sad, I rebecome Introverted, or damn aggressive (which is new).

I'm looking at my brother who is INTP now, and I think he will take the same way. If he wants, for sure. There is still a possibility.

Reactions: olonny

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have noticed something in these forums that I would like to clear up on.

Like nobody ever really like any of my posts or reply to me. Why is this? What am I saying wrong?

People usually just skip anything that I post.

Just don't understand, so if someone can tell me, much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Best way imo to know whether you are ENTP or INTP is to work with one of them and see if you can keep up with their dom.
I love and I am impressed by my INTP friend's Ti, I acknowledge they are much better at it than I am.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a little scare in which I kept doubting I was an E because I get so exhausted when I talk to people, but then I learned that Ne is a function that takes energy out of ideas not just chatting with people. Unless I am mentally stimulated I wont get much out of talking with people

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
Ne's extraversion is not necessarily social extraversion. For instance I'm SX/sp/so but that doesn't stop the INFJs' knees from melting when they see my Ne. :tongue:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to think myself as INTP. I was depressed because I was diagnosed with panic disorder. Now that I have learned to live with it, I'm more outgoing and get energy from social events as I don't spend energy to worrying.

Like nobody ever really like any of my posts or reply to me. Why is this? What am I saying wrong?

Hello you there. :kitteh:
People just like to talk about themselves too much to notice others.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hello you there. :kitteh:
People just like to talk about themselves too much to notice others.
I can't tell if that's it. Obviously emotional IQ is not one of our strengths.

As we are ENTPs, we are direct and honest people. So, if anyone want to be direct and honest with me, I wouldn't blame ya.

·
Registered
70 Posts

You need to quote people in order for them to be notified of your reply. Or at least an @LoveDragonDon would work I think!
I'm pretty new here myself and I have seen people post things like indirect replies a lot of times as well.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
A bit less than a year ago when I discovered MBTI I thought I was an INTP. I subconsciously altered the test results since I was formerly incredibly shy (like to the extent that I couldn't reply when someone I didn't know was speaking to me) and even though that was quite long ago I still perceived myself as introverted.

Then did several tests honestly and got ENTP from all and then went to functions...:D I'm surprised I ever bought the claim about me being and INTP though

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Man, MBTI is some whack shit. I'd say don't worry about your type.Typing yourself won't lead to a greater understanding of yourself, since you already have biases against certain types, and there are stereotypes for all of them.

Also, I was an INTP once. Heck, I still am in a weird way. My cognitive function order is Ti Ni Ne Fe, some from a CF perspective, I am fuckin IMPOSSIBLE. From a behavioural, dichotomy perspective, I'm an ENTP, ya.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts