Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously I'm naturally a punk/metal/rock guy. But I've come across some underground rappers that are poetic geniuses. People like Aesop Rock, El-P, Sage Francis, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien/Deltron 3030, Blackalicious, Dilated Peoples, Busdriver, Illogic, The Roots, MC Chris (for some comic relief) to name a few. I just felt that a lot of the people on this site would be the types that would naturally avoid this genre of music and I feel they'd be missing out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
El-I'll Sleep When You're Dead: Is my personal favorite (It's not violent like it sounds)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I listen to rap. Mostly local, underground artists though, so it wouldn't make sense for a lot of people. All it is, is poetry- to a beat, some people can "flow" to a beat better than others and every rapper has a different flow unless they're just knockoffs. There is good and bad poetry, but it sucks that the media has done a good job of fucking up rap for a lot of people, making famous only the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure it's sort of the same with many genres, but to me rap seems the most exaggerated. Now a days, you could probably find a rapper for anybody since it's become a much broader genre in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't have a problem with rap... but it's often not for me. I'm really picky about music, especially lyrics... and it's rare that lyrics really sit well with me... in any genre.

I do like the rhythmic nature of the music though, and the beats can be quite catchy. I like catching the interesting rhythmic inflections of the rappers... it's quite interesting if you pay attention to it. But I think most people don't really pay attention to rhythm in the music, and think that they aren't really singing... so it's got to be 'lesser' music somehow...

There's probably some rappers out there who I could really connect to. But it would be a heck of a job finding them... and I'm sort of lazy. I'm slowly finding more experimental music in the hip-hop vein... my experimental electronica leanings has gotten me into Prefuse 73... so it's probably only a matter of time before I really start listening to rap.

It really irks me though when people downplay any musical genre... I mean there's lots of junk all over the place on this musical planet... but there's also quality out there... you just have to find it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally, I like Immortal Technique a lot.. and Bobby Ray.. he's more hip-hop, but his music isn't about money, ''bitches'' and cars.. like many others.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mmmm, Aesop Rock. He's one of my all-time favorite musicians. I've been a lover of words my entire life and he's the first person to make me stop and think, "Wow! Words have textures!"

My favorite rap/hip-hop:

Aesop Rock
Wu-Tang Clan (GZA in particular)
Cunninlynguists
Jedi Mind Tricks
A Tribe Called Quest
Tupac
Dose One

About 4 years ago I was of the "Can't spell rap without crap" demographic, now it is my favorite genre.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like listening to music where it is easy to tell that the artist put feeling and depth into the song. I don't get that from Li'l Wayne and Akon. The only rap artists I listen to are Eminem, Tech N9ne and Krizz Kaliko.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like listening to music where it is easy to tell that the artist put feeling and depth into the song. I don't get that from Li'l Wayne and Akon. The only rap artists I listen to are Eminem, Tech N9ne and Krizz Kaliko.
It sounds cliche, but underground is where it's at. I've been moved to tears by rap songs countless times.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I actually used to be really into rap, back when I didn't really listen to a lot of music. I've found though, that the more I listened, I found that hip-hop as a genre seems to be more focused on the culture and the movement, than the actual music, which means that you kinda have to BE "hip-hop" at some level to relate to the music. So, I sorta moved away from rap, because I prefer my songs to have some melody, but there is still a lot of rap that I like. Personally, my list of good rappers would have to go something like this:

Lupe Fiasco (gotta start with the most talented rapper alive, and the man just released a punk album with his band Japanese Cartoon)
Mos Def & Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli)
K-Os (yes, he's only known in Canada, but his genre-crossing is amazing)
K'naan (his songs are simple, but his messages are powerful)

Kid Cudi
The Game
OutKast

·
MOTM February 2014
4,775 Posts
Mostly the only rap I've been exposed to was the really bad kind. The artists who swear every other word, objectify women, talk about murder and/or cars. That kind of rap I really, really dislike. From the first post, I don't think I like rap in general, just listening to a few of the songs. It's the sound more than the lyrics from those ones.

However, hip hop isn't too bad for occasional listening. The only band I've been able to find that I like is Fort Minor, whose songs I feel convey great messages with good music and vocals.

I'm clueless when it comes to genres, but apparently I stick to the more alternative styles of music (alt. rock, alt. metal, alt. hip hop, etc.) with a bit of indie, post-grunge, and pop-rock mixed in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mostly the only rap I've been exposed to was the really bad kind. The artists who swear every other word, objectify women, talk about murder and/or cars. That kind of rap I really, really dislike. From the first post, I don't think I like rap in general, just listening to a few of the songs. It's the sound more than the lyrics from those ones.

However, hip hop isn't too bad for occasional listening. The only band I've been able to find that I like is Fort Minor, whose songs I feel convey great messages with good music and vocals.

I'm clueless when it comes to genres, but apparently I stick to the more alternative styles of music (alt. rock, alt. metal, alt. hip hop, etc.) with a bit of indie, post-grunge, and pop-rock mixed in.

Yeah, Fort Minor is pretty awesome. I don't like much of mainstream rap, not nearly as much as i did in high school haha, largely because of the content and the fact that there's no melody! That being said, there are a few rappers that I still listen to and love, and there are some that sing as well.

My favourite rapper is K-Os. He's very alternative, he's philosophical, playing the role of the mystic, and isn't afraid to talk about his emotions. He also sings, raps, and mixes genres very well.

Kid Cudi's also very alternative, because his songs sound like he's off in space. He's the one rapper that I would say sounds least like a rapper.

Mos Def and Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star) are actually very talented. Mos Def has got a voice that just seems to roll off every jazzy beat that he uses, giving a real groovy sound.

If you're willing to take the time to listen closely to complex, but crazy lyrics, I'd recommend Lupe Fiasco. He raps about a lot of different things actually, things that actually have some meaning haha. "Shining Down" is a song that I love for the meaning, and "Sunshine" is actually very INFP-friendly :D

That should get you started :) Enjoy!

Oh, and what bands would you recommend in post-grunge and alt-rock? My favourite rock bands are Audioslave, RHCP, Muse and Green Day.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Interesting, I have an INFP friend who likes rap. A lot. It's the only thing he listens to. But not that candy-assed lil wayne crap, it's more of a gangsta rap. Curious for an intp.
I used to listen to it much more than I do today, but I still like to hear good ol 90's rap.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,775 Posts
That should get you started :) Enjoy!

Oh, and what bands would you recommend in post-grunge and alt-rock? My favourite rock bands are Audioslave, RHCP, Muse and Green Day.
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely start looking up the artists you mentioned. Been wanting something else to listen to.

Well, let's see. Keep in mind I'm using Wikipedia for genres, otherwise I'd have no idea what they're supposed to be. My favorite band is Our Lady Peace. You could also try 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Evans Blue, Revis, Saliva, and Vertical Horizon. Some of them are more... hard-core... than the others, but all of them are pretty good (in my opinion, at least).

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
My favorites: NWA, Eazy E, Geto Boys, Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sage Francis is amazing! And artists under the label he was once under are pretty amazing too. Buck65 is really good. Why? is a good band. Also Sole and Dosh. I've recently been getting into a lot of "underground" rap.

Artists like Sage Francis have very meaningful and intelligent rap, and like Leroy, I highly recommend you guys give him a listen. :) Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts