Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i got my first deck today, its the thoth deck, which is designed by aleister crowley. the art in it is so beautiful.. heres an example

i asked it what its intentions where in working with me and i got the 6 of cups, the part of the description which resonated with me the most was:
The Lord of Pleasure is about learning how to enter into pleasure with an open heart which is ready to receive, and freely allow the passage of emotion through it. Too often, we fail to enter the moment, and instead, stand on the threshold of life. This card challenges us to cross that threshold, and flow with the river of love which is always available to us.
i had used oracle cards a bit before i got this deck, but i am so super excited to get my toes wet in this very interesting technology.

what draws me to tarot is some of the magical thinking and intuition which is needed to have a reading which is meaningful, be able to have my eyes open for future events and paths. i like the beauty/symbolism of the art and wisdom of the descriptions, that its an discipline which has infinite depth of knowledge and the ritualistic nature of creating a space and inviting and invoking a response to questions which carry some energetic load.

anyone explored tarot here? do you own decks? which 1s?

i especially like this website and its card of the day, feels true :) :crazy:
Tarot Card of the Day.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Awww I love that part of asking a new deck about our relationship moving forward, like why are we in each other's lives? Aw. I look forward to that first deep contact every time.

My tarot deck is the Victorian Fairies one, art by Lippincott. I very much choose my decks based on the artwork. My oracle deck is by Lucy Cavendish. I love my decks sooooo much, I anthropomorphize them totally. I like to shuffle mindlessly while I'm watching a movie or tv show, like they are my friends haha.

I use it as a self-development/psychological tool to get me to expand my mind and prompt me to think/consider other POVs in a situation. I never read for other people, as I am extremely self-preservational and in typical INFPness I hate snooping in people's lives. So even if people ask me to do a reading, I just can't because I can't get myself into other people's private life, it's just... ew no.

I used to have fun when I was in a relationship asking my bf to tell me a random number, and I would check the card corresponding to that number, and I would interpret the message as something happening between my bf and I. It was always super accurate and it would blow my mind every time. And the most beautiful thing was 48 hours after our breakup, I texted him "Tell me a number" and he said one and the card we got was The Star -which coincidentally is my Sun sign card Aquarius- and the message of The Star was exactly the conversation that the ex-bf and I had days prior, one of hope for our future and the belief in our destinies and a bunch of other things. It was such a beautiful moment. I love synchronicities ^_^ They're just fun!

Reactions: fresh and mysterie

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
No, they creep me out...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, but... it requires a skilled hand. Both in crafting and in usage. I've seen some decks that "have it," and some that don't.

I also think there's better alternatives.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been doing online tarot readings as of late. I got this today

"You will sail at sea while on holiday. You will go on a cruise. During this cruise, you will meet a person who cares deeply about you. His/her intentions will become clear enough when he/she asks you if you're married and if you have children. However you will be accompanied on this trip. Therefore, although the advances of this person pleases or flatters you, they'll put you in a rather embarrassing situation. You will even develop a sense of guilt regarding the progress of events. Your trip will end without too much hassle or discomfort, but you will return home questioning yourself about how things could have evolved differently and perhaps also with some regret. You will see this person again later in your life. This may be in a few months, but will more likely be in a few years."

Which immediately caught my interest because I am indeed going on a Christmas cruise with my family.

Not really tarot since it's so specific I guess *shrug*

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but... it requires a skilled hand. Both in crafting and in usage. I've seen some decks that "have it," and some that don't.

I also think there's better alternatives.
what better alternatives have you found?

·
Registered
784 Posts
what better alternatives have you found?
I have found that very serious Theravada meditation brings on far more intuitive powers and whatnot. Although, it takes a few months of very intense effort to get there. If you're interested in learning, I can point you to some very good resources.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found that very serious Theravada meditation brings on far more intuitive powers and whatnot. Although, it takes a few months of very intense effort to get there. If you're interested in learning, I can point you to some very good resources.
ah ive been on a theravada trip already with vipassana, my path is more tantric in nature now. i agree that a regular meditation practice is beneficial for contacting our nature and insight, yet i feel tarot has its own merits in having a deeper connection to astrology/alchemy/western mysticism/numerology/divination which isn't necessarily contradictory (perhaps complementary for some) to spiritual practice.

·
Registered
784 Posts
ah ive been on a theravada trip already with vipassana, my path is more tantric in nature now. i agree that a regular meditation practice is beneficial for contacting our nature and insight, yet i feel tarot has its own merits in having a deeper connection to astrology/alchemy/western mysticism/numerology/divination which isn't necessarily contradictory (perhaps complementary for some) to spiritual practice.
Hmmmm, I agree.

I've had a lot of success with the energetic intuition after a lot of study in the higher jhanas after the 1st path. I've done tarot too, but it requires a very intuitive hand. In particular, I've found doing tarot during waking meditation, in the higher formless realms has provided a lot of insight with tarot.

I think they're their own practices, but higher level meditation leads to a lot of insight in other practices.

What's your background on theravada or vispassana? I ask because most teach it incorrectly.

EDIT: Also, where di you learn tarot? I know so little.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm, I agree.

I've had a lot of success with the energetic intuition after a lot of study in the higher jhanas after the 1st path. I've done tarot too, but it requires a very intuitive hand. In particular, I've found doing tarot during waking meditation, in the higher formless realms has provided a lot of insight with tarot.

I think they're their own practices, but higher level meditation leads to a lot of insight in other practices.

What's your background on theravada or vispassana? I ask because most teach it incorrectly.
i've done three 10 day silent meditation retreats. the first was revelatory as i hadn't done my meditation practice prior to it. i practiced anapana and vipassana sporadically for years. last year i spent 2 months in different monasteries in thailand and myanmar because i thought i wanted to become a renunciate and truly devote my energy to mastery over my mind. i cracked open at the end at a very intense monastery in myanmar and felt totally vulnerable and unprepared for that kind of cultural isolation and hardcore investigation.

i realised that for me i needed a practice/tradition that somehow incorporated more heart openness/love/joy/gentleness/social integration (just my perspective). now i practice reciting a mantra internally and i find my meditations not so much a chore but a refuge in the stormy waters of life and thinking.

i'm thankful i came into contact with the teaching, but i found something else which resonates more deeply for me.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I recommend an app called Galaxy Tarot. Aside from being an on the go oracle it houses an abundance of information and lore behind the cards such as numerology, astrology, and i-ching among other factoids. The deck I use has me consulting the app's encyclopedia as the minor numbered arcana's artwork is fairly baseline as in a four of wands being four wands and nothing more to work off of.. which help in memorization.

Over the course of years I've consulted my horoscope via facade, my go to site. It's uncanny how it reflects the progression of my days however I feel it more so true with I-ching (especially casting coins myself) than tarot. Fact of the matter in some ways the cards don't like me, least, when I consult a digital medium. So many reversals. So. Many. Reversals. ;__; Such is life, I'm not heavy in it but it helps in alternative p.o.v or easing a questioning mind.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i've done three 10 day silent meditation retreats. the first was revelatory as i hadn't done my meditation practice prior to it. i practiced anapana and vipassana sporadically for years. last year i spent 2 months in different monasteries in thailand and myanmar because i thought i wanted to become a renunciate and truly devote my energy to mastery over my mind. i cracked open at the end at a very intense monastery in myanmar and felt totally vulnerable and unprepared for that kind of cultural isolation and hardcore investigation.

i realised that for me i needed a practice/tradition that somehow incorporated more heart openness/love/joy/gentleness/social integration (just my perspective). now i practice reciting a mantra internally and i find my meditations not so much a chore but a refuge in the stormy waters of life and thinking.

i'm thankful i came into contact with the teaching, but i found something else which resonates more deeply for me.

I can understand that :) I'm glad you found a practice that resonates well with you.

I've always sound the spiritual journey to be very lonely. Especially, theravada because it's full intention is to reorganize the observe and remove the self. Although, there is a point in no-self where allness is understood, and it feels less lonely.

How did you learn Tarot? I've come across it and understand it, at a basic level. How did you learn it?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can understand that :) I'm glad you found a practice that resonates well with you.

I've always sound the spiritual journey to be very lonely. Especially, theravada because it's full intention is to reorganize the observe and remove the self. Although, there is a point in no-self where allness is understood, and it feels less lonely.

How did you learn Tarot? I've come across it and understand it, at a basic level. How did you learn it?
haha i'm a total beginner, i got my first deck yesterday. its the thoth deck by aleister crowley with beautiful art from Lady Frieda Harris. i reserved a companion book from the library called 'Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot' by DuQuette. i hope this will help be to gain a deeper understanding of the deck.

but i have a fascination with it now and am so excited. its easy to be involved with it even with my total inexperience because i can just ask a question while shuffling and look up the meaning of the card which chooses me/i choose.

·
Registered
784 Posts
haha i'm a total beginner, i got my first deck yesterday. its the thoth deck by aleister crowley with beautiful art from Lady Frieda Harris. i reserved a companion book from the library called 'Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot' by DuQuette. i hope this will help be to gain a deeper understanding of the deck.

but i have a fascination with it now and am so excited. its easy to be involved with it even with my total inexperience because i can just ask a question while shuffling and look up the meaning of the card which chooses me/i choose.
It's definitely more fun than meditation.

I meditate every day for an hour+, and it is intensely difficult and not fun.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's definitely more fun than meditation.

I meditate every day for an hour+, and it is intensely difficult and not fun.
i think that is what i struggled with the theravada path is that it seemed like the idea was you devote yourself to a strict meditation practice which is going to be initially painful/uncomfortable, something you almost have to force yourself to do. it is quite ascetic in a way, and then at some point down the line you start to feel enthusiastic about the meditation practice and it is something you want to do. i never really felt like that with it unless i had been meditating daily for weeks and even then something would come up in life and i would stop my practice and then once i resumed it again it would be something i had to push myself into.

what i like about my practice now is that it is i view it as a way to taste the divine, taste bliss on a daily basis, access our nature which is abundant, blissful, whole, peaceful. and to do so is healing in a world and society which is in a lot of pain and turmoil. resting in that being is expansive and always accessible through the technology of the mantra which carries with it a deep and infinite truth which is gradually opens a multi-dimensionality of perspective of experience.

i think another thing which is missed in some theravada circles is that quantity of practice seems to be emphasised over the quality of meditation. i don't think it is productive to push yourself to do a practice which i think can be inherently relaxing and releasing from the beliefs we carry.

i dont mean to be critical but its just some of my experiences. i think meditation should be fun and enjoyable, because otherwise why would i meditate if it is just going to bring me more internal conflict, life is well equipped already to provide challenging experiences for me to process and grow with.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i think that is what i struggled with the theravada path is that it seemed like the idea was you devote yourself to a strict meditation practice which is going to be initially painful/uncomfortable, something you almost have to force yourself to do. it is quite ascetic in a way, and then at some point down the line you start to feel enthusiastic about the meditation practice and it is something you want to do. i never really felt like that with it unless i had been meditating daily for weeks and even then something would come up in life and i would stop my practice and then once i resumed it again it would be something i had to push myself into.

what i like about my practice now is that it is i view it as a way to taste the divine, taste bliss on a daily basis, access our nature which is abundant, blissful, whole, peaceful. and to do so is healing in a world and society which is in a lot of pain and turmoil. resting in that being is expansive and always accessible through the technology of the mantra which carries with it a deep and infinite truth which is gradually opens a multi-dimensionality of perspective of experience.

i think another thing which is missed in some theravada circles is that quantity of practice seems to be emphasised over the quality of meditation. i don't think it is productive to push yourself to do a practice which i think can be inherently relaxing and releasing from the beliefs we carry.

i dont mean to be critical but its just some of my experiences. i think meditation should be fun and enjoyable, because otherwise why would i meditate if it is just going to bring me more internal conflict, life is well equipped already to provide challenging experiences for me to process and grow with.
Hmmmm, that's true. I guess people get into meditation for different reasons.

I picked up meditation because I intuitively knew there were deep-seeded truths I was missing out on because of my lack of proper perception. I went through the very very very painful first couple of years, because I really wanted proper insight.

I was never looking for something peaceful.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I see it a lot (ok twice) in videogames. I like the imagery of it, but I think I like it from afar. I'd be into learning more about it; maybe not practicing it (nothing against it :) ).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts