Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered this really cool Liberal Arts accelerated education program at a local college. It seems to encompase everything! It has writing, literature, music, art, history, geography, religion, philosophy, and some science all incorporated into each of the classes. For someone like me who has so many interests and can't decide on a major, this seems like a perfect fit. But, I'm hesitant to make a decision without research first.

Anyone out there studying Liberal Arts? Or possibly has info about a program like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
my majors are graphics design and photography. but i do have art history classes and art philosophy, i love it. last semester i had psychology class which was awesome too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I was going to go into liberal arts, but chose social science instead. I would say go for the liberal arts degree, I've never met anyone sorry they went to college!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was doing some research on Liberal Arts degrees and check out this list that I found...
Think about a liberal arts degree if:

You enjoy discussing ideas and debating with others.
You love the History Channel.
People turn to you if they need help doing research, both formal and informal.
You are interested in how the natural and social sciences relate to each other.
You consider yourself a "jack of all trades."
You simply love to learn.
You can easily spend hours in a Barnes & Noble or local bookstore.
You are also thinking about eventually going on for more advanced study.
You may have a knack for foreign languages.
You want a well-rounded education without having to focus on any single profession.
You have a keen awareness and appreciation of different types of music and art.
You like reading classic and contemporary literature, philosophy, or historical biographies.
You are known for having a critical eye and ear.
You are able to see the "big picture."

"Mini-Guide" to a Liberal Arts Degree : Guide to Online Education - eLearners.com

Doesn't this describe INFPs interests and skills????????????? I am almost convinced that a Liberal Arts Degree is for me!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm in the Liberal Arts degree at my local community college right now. I'm planning on switching to English when I transfer to a four-year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I mean by a Liberal Arts degree is that a college I'm looking into actually has a major in Liberal Arts for a bachelors degree. I know liberal arts means music, art, literature, science, etc...But what could a BA in Liberal Arts do for me?

·
Registered
615 Posts
A ton of careers ought to be...
Actually, I'll research this some more. I'm interested in it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That sounds like a really cool program! I don't think I've ever heard of anything quite like it, so I can't provide you any real facts, but a liberal arts degree will hone your communications skills and your critical thinking skills -- it probably won't lead directly into a job in the same way that a more conventionally practical degree would, but you'll definitely be employable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was doing some research on Liberal Arts degrees and check out this list that I found...

You enjoy discussing ideas and debating with others.
You love the History Channel.
People turn to you if they need help doing research, both formal and informal.
You are interested in how the natural and social sciences relate to each other.
You consider yourself a "jack of all trades."
You simply love to learn.
You can easily spend hours in a Barnes & Noble or local bookstore.
You are also thinking about eventually going on for more advanced study.
You may have a knack for foreign languages.
You want a well-rounded education without having to focus on any single profession.
You have a keen awareness and appreciation of different types of music and art.
You like reading classic and contemporary literature, philosophy, or historical biographies.
You are known for having a critical eye and ear.
You are able to see the "big picture."

"Mini-Guide" to a Liberal Arts Degree : Guide to Online Education - eLearners.com

Doesn't this describe INFPs interests and skills????????????? I am almost convinced that a Liberal Arts Degree is for me!
lol sounds like me. And my major is Liberal Arts. I can't quite pick one thing I want to do, but I think I might end up doing Art Therapy.

·
Banned
696 Posts
i was a sociology major. i really enjoyed it, but i wish i had double majored in something else more practical alongside soc. i would've chosen nutrition or accounting. i know that INFP's generally dont like hard numbers and facts, but accounting is okay for me. but dont give me engineering physics or anything beyond algebra 2 :laughing:

·
Registered
435 Posts
...But what could a BA in Liberal Arts do for me?
From what i was told about getting a BA in Fine Arts, it is really only good for a teaching job. But if you wanted to teach you'd be better of getting a Masters in Liberal Arts.

I too am looking to become a graphic designer, right now I'm in community college get my Associates in Fine Arts. Then movin onto a 4 year university for BA in Graphic Designer.

Arts, thought and social working seems like they'd be best for us INFPs simply because they demand the relationship of harmony and unity, something i think we all as infps have a knack for. I also think that we are able to relate with people from a whole perspective, meaning we're really flexible when it comes to ideas, because we can view multiple points at a time.
Something to just think about.
Maybe try an art class, a philosophy class, and a creative writing class. I'll bet that you'll be good at one of those, and you can narrow down your choices from there.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
You can easily spend your entire life working in a Barnes & Noble or local bookstore.
There was an error here, but I fixed it

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
It seems like you could teach the liberal arts stuff to yourself for cheaper though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That seems to be the issue. It sounds like the greatest degree of all time. You're basically majoring in everything. I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself. But a few things to consider:
1. By spreading yourself so thin, how much could you really learn about each subject? As timeless mentioned, you might be able to just teach yourself.
2. From what I hear, a major in the Liberal Arts is a joke. Another name for "undecided." Although that's just a stereotypical image pasted over the degree.
3. Could it get you a job? Who would hire a Liberal Arts major? What kind of job could you be profitable at with a Liberal Arts degree?
Perhaps a good idea might be to double major - Liberal Arts and something more practical. Or perhaps that would be redundant.
Here's the College Board's description of the degree: Liberal Arts and Sciences

1 - 17 of 17 Posts