Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason it bothers me that my MBTI keeps switching from INTJ to INTP and back. In high school and part of college I took great, great pride in my INTPness. As I've gotten older though, I've leaned a bit more to the INTJ side and have been very happy.

When I'm feeling stressed or down and I take the MBTI again for fun, I test at INTP!! I've come to associate testing as an INTP as a regression.

Does anyone else flip like this? Any theories as to why it changes like this?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Don't put too much stock in the tests. Changing from INTP to INTJ entails a whole lot more than changing one letter might imply. Though we may appear very similar on the outside, INTJs and INTPs share no cognitive functions and internally think in completely different ways. If you aren't sure which you are I'd suggest looking at whole type descriptions or comparing the cognitive functions for each type (Ne vs. Ni is the easiest for me). The tests are really just to point you in the right direction and provide a stepping stone for looking deeper into the MBTI (edit: er, Jungian functions).

Sometimes, I've wondered if I was switching back and forth between INTP and INFP, but now I'm pretty sure these were just times when I fell back on my inferior Fe. The only real type confusion I have now is whether I'm really an INTP or a shy ENTP with confidence issues.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I occasionally test as an INTP and sometimes even ISTP. I wouldn't put a lot of weight into the online tests.
Like Crab said, there is a lot more to the MBTI than just four letters. Look at the functions and their dominance. Study the descriptions and see what suits you best.

The tests are just a guide to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: CrabHammer

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
INTJ, INTP not a huge difference between the two, come to think of it, I'm like 12% T and 11% J, very fine differences

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
<sigh>

I think it's possible for people who do not have a strong preference between judging and perceiving to sort of flip flop between the types...but as invisiblejim points out, there is a bit more to it. The problem (or possibly advantage, depending on how much you like being called on for intrference) being that it becomes very easy to manage in very NTP circles as well as very NTJ circles and to bridge the two as needed....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Huge difference in cognitive function.

Ti-Ne-Si-Fe (INTP)

vs:

Ni-Te-Fi-Se (INTJ)
I know that theory, and I know it is gospel. However, when I read the INTP description, it also seems to be very fitting. How does one "know" one is using Ni and not Ti?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I switch pretty frequently now. I was raised by extroverts so I had to pretend to be an extrovert for most of my childhood and even a bit now. I think that's what skewed me into being an INTP a bit. When taking the tests I frequently see that although I have preferences I regularly go against them every day. When reading the character descriptions I agree with as much of the INTP descriptions as I do the INTJ ones.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well it's much easier (for me at least) to compare the perceiving functions, Ni vs Ne. I'd actually suggest Jim's article on it. I believe it's on the front page.

I think Ti-Ne can look a lot like Ni sometimes because of the focus Ti provides to the normally chaotic Ne. I can't really speak to how it "feels" to use Ni as I don't, nor do I really understand the basic interplay of a judging function in support of a perceiving one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a bit of a newbie to the cognitive functions. I just read Jim's article and I identify intensely with... both Ne and Ni.

Ne because I've very much learned the value of debate and improvised speaking. I find it essential that I develop these reflexes, especially as a teacher. I encourage talk-back, debate, and general Socratic dialogue because I know how helpful it is to "stimulate." In addition, I have learned to "test" people over the years; stimulus and feedback yield much quicker answers than passive observation (the goals of which are impossible anyways).

This sounds like INTP. But the above traits/habits I have acquired have only come about in the last several years when I began to test consistently as... an INTJ.

In addition, I feel the need to isolate myself once in a while (or even frequently) to process the vast quantities of information obtained from external stimuli. But this is an Ni trait.

So this is thoroughly confusing. I do recognize that the MBTI tests are approximations, and that my testing at an INTJ or INTP will make almost zero difference in the way I act in real life. But I'm just curious...

Any further help?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The need to withdraw and reflect could also come from Ti. Both types are introverts and will need alone time to reflect. The big distinction for you I think will be, do you generally come up with lots of crazy ideas and then pare them down to the good ones (Ne, but tempered by Ti), or do you generally have one really awesome idea that you follow through to the end (Ni)?

For what it's worth, you seem like an INTP who's learned some discipline, which is why you've started to test as a J. But I don't know you all that well, and I'm not especially good at typing people (just leading the discussion) so it's probably better you decide for yourself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing about myself.
I test low on judging & have some... err... trouble with details sometimes. Not important details, like the Planck length or the atomic weight of sodium, just stupid little everyday details. (Keys! Where are my keys? I know I had them here, somewhere...)
This has led to people dubbing me "the absent-minded professor."

But reading your description... yeh, definitely Ni.
Thanks, CrabHammer.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing about myself.
I test low on judging & have some... err... trouble with details sometimes. Not important details, like the Planck length or the atomic weight of sodium, just stupid little everyday details. (Keys! Where are my keys? I know I had them here, somewhere...)
This has led to people dubbing me "the absent-minded professor."

But reading your description... yeh, definitely Ni.
Thanks, CrabHammer.
Uh, when I still was a physicist, I couldn't remember stuff like the Planck length either. However, my office mate was super absent-minded, he would forget to close windows, doors, everything. That taught me the hard way to pay attention to that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.4)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.4)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************ (36.4)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********** (10)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************* (31.1)
good use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ

*shrug* I like how extraverted feeling is: Unused. Hahaha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts