Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not, you can read about it here

The immune benefits seem cool and all but DUDE i've done it only 4 times so far and my naturally-bumpy skin is SO SMOOTH now. At least compared to what it is normally! it almost feels too good to be true.

in all my life, i've come to be completely critical towards any type of "magic" skin/beauty cure/treatment but damnn this really works.
i can't stop touching my skin now, lol. i wonder how long until i get used to it.

If you've tried contrast showering, have you experienced the same thing?? What's your experience in general?

And if you want to give it a try, it's really not very hard, at least after a couple times. The trick is to relax your body (no muscle tension) and BREATHE. Remember that- breathe.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,984 Posts
he mentions it after 25:28

also check out Wim Hof, they have done formal research on him and he can *increase* his body temperature inside an *ice bath* just by controlling his breath

I don't do it much yet cause I'm a chicken but I'm slowly building up the motivation :tongue:

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's something ive done naturally all my life XD. Like I just love going from hot to cold to hot as I like the contrast plus it spices the shower up and I come out feeling both refreshed and invigorated. Though sometimes its more of a steady thing like steadily warming/cooling the water down.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he mentions it after 25:28

also check out Wim Hof, they have done formal research on him and he can *increase* his body temperature inside an *ice bath* just by controlling his breath

I don't do it much yet cause I'm a chicken but I'm slowly building up the motivation :tongue:
That was an interesting video, thanks!

You can do it!!! A month ago I was the type of person who scoffed at the idea of cold showers, but then my mom found out about contrast showers and made everyone in the family try it. Maybe you can get someone you know to try it out along with you :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's something ive done naturally all my life XD. Like I just love going from hot to cold to hot as I like the contrast plus it spices the shower up and I come out feeling both refreshed and invigorated. Though sometimes its more of a steady thing like steadily warming/cooling the water down.
Seriously?! that's awesome that you do this naturally haha.
When you don't do it steadily, how long do you usually stay at hot and cold? I read somewhere you have to do a 3:1 ratio, but I'd like to stay longer at cold honestly. The only reason I'm hesitant is because one of the first times I tried it I think I went too extreme for the cold, and after the shower my body was very, very cold for a couple hours..

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Oh gosh I have tried it several times but I am just too much of a weenie to do it regularly!!!

giphy.gif

The most recent time was at a spa where they had a cold contrast shower you could use between hot tubs. It was really beautiful because it was in the woods in the mountains and it was a wooden tub and you had to walk along a mulched dirt path to get to the contrast shower. It was all on the edge of a hill so you had a beautiful view of the trees as you were bathing and showering.

That said I didn't notice any skin difference probably because I haven't done it often enough but it is a really incredible experience.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Seriously?! that's awesome that you do this naturally haha.
When you don't do it steadily, how long do you usually stay at hot and cold? I read somewhere you have to do a 3:1 ratio, but I'd like to stay longer at cold honestly. The only reason I'm hesitant is because one of the first times I tried it I think I went too extreme for the cold, and after the shower my body was very, very cold for a couple hours..
I tend to do on average id say maybe 2 mins of each. I find that's a nice balance and I get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: sweetrice

·
Registered
224 Posts
Maximum shower temperature: lukewarm

citronade said:
DUDE i've done it only 4 times so far and my naturally-bumpy skin is SO SMOOTH now. At least compared to what it is normally! it almost feels too good to be true.
It's just the absence of hot water:

Here’s Why You Need To Stop Showering Every Day

According to dermatologist Dr. Ranella Hirsch in an article for Essence, showering every day does NOT do a body good. Not only do showers use an enormous amount of clean water, they also strip the skin of healthy bacteria, dry out the skin, nails and hair, and weaken your immune system.

“We over-bathe in this country,” says Hirsch. “That’s really important to realize. A lot of the reasons we do it is because of societal norms.”

1. You’re Not As Dirty As You Think

If you don’t work out every day or have a physically demanding job where you sweat for hours on end, then you definitely don’t need a daily bath or shower. According to Dr. Casey Carlos, assistant professor of medicine in the division of dermatology at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, in an article on today.com, many soaps dry out the skin because they strip valuable oils from it. Plus, most people use soap where they don’t really need it. Carlos says that the skin actually does a great job at cleaning itself, which means we definitely don’t need to wash up as much as we thought.

If you think about it, back when we lived in nature, we really just washed off in a river or creek, without using any soaps or harsh cleaners. So, why do we think our bodies need these products today?

2. It Washes Away Good Bacteria

In an interview with BuzzFeed, two dermatologists revealed that washing your skin every day*literally washes away good bacteria essential to our health. Plus, frequent showers can create small cracks in the skin, opening up your body to infection (especially with lower amounts of that good bacteria we all need).

3. You’re Drying Out Your Hair

Just like the skin, washing your hair every day will strip it of naturally occurring oils, which gives it a dry, damaged, frizzy look. According to Andrea L. Hayden, Director of the International Association of Trichologists, you shouldn’t wash your hair more than one or two times per week (and this includes just getting it wet).*Even if you don’t wash it every day, though, you can still condition your hair on the days you don’t wash in order to lock in moisture.

4. You’re Drying Out Your Skin

Taking frequent hot showers can dry out the skin, leading it to peel or flake.*If you haven’t caught on yet, washing our bodies so often, no matter what part of it, leeches moisture and oils from the skin which dries it out. WebMD recommends taking no longer than 10 minute showers if you do shower each day, and to put the water on cold so you don’t dry your skin out.

5. You Will Ruin Your Nails

Hot water results in your nails expanding, which can make them chip and crack.*Once again, the nails will lose moisture and oils, which means dry, flaky nails galore.

6. You’re Wasting Water

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the average family of four uses about 400 gallons of water per day! If everyone in the family showers every single day, a lot of that water usage goes toward showers, since a 10 minute shower uses a whopping 60 liters of water. You might think taking a bath will conserve more water since you don’t have it constantly running, but baths use almost three times more water than showers, according to Stanford University.” https://wealthygorilla.com/5-reasons-stop-taking-hot-showers/

“It’s the hardest thing to get people to use soap only where they need it,” Carlos told TODAY.com. Because soap is designed to remove oils from the skin, it’s drying. So Carlos suggests using it in armpits, the groin area, feet — the potentially smelly places —and skipping chest, back, legs, arms.
“People don’t realize that the skin does a pretty good job of cleaning itself,” Carlos said.”

Use

• lukewarm, not hot, water, and
  • keep showers short.*
  • “Then, as soon as you get out of the shower, moisturize,” Carlos said.

Baths can actually be therapeutic for dry skin sufferers because a soak in lukewarm water helps the skin absorb the moisture. Dermatologists use the phrase “soak and smear.” Soak for 10 or 15 minutes, then smear on moisturizer. That technique can be superior to moisturizing after a shower. https://www.today.com/health/daily-shower-may-be-bad-your-skin-docs-suggest-soak-2D79325796

https://www.dermatologistsofbirmingham.com/is-a-hot-shower-bad-for-your-skin/
https://magicseaweed.com/news/why-surfers-get-ice-cream-headaches/7144/

Red Panda said:
also check out Wim Hof

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh gosh I have tried it several times but I am just too much of a weenie to do it regularly!!!

View attachment 841623

The most recent time was at a spa where they had a cold contrast shower you could use between hot tubs. It was really beautiful because it was in the woods in the mountains and it was a wooden tub and you had to walk along a mulched dirt path to get to the contrast shower. It was all on the edge of a hill so you had a beautiful view of the trees as you were bathing and showering.

That said I didn't notice any skin difference probably because I haven't done it often enough but it is a really incredible experience.
I notice the skin difference after only one time. Maybe you just naturally have very smooth skin instead ;)

That sounds really nice. My Russian friend told me the russians have a word for this "hydrotherapy" and like to build saunas next to cold lakes!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just the absence of hot water:
Well the thing is, the first time I did it (accidently. it was at a ski place with an outdoor pool/hot tub) the ratio of time spent in hot water to cold water was probably something like 20:1. And I still felt the effect so strong.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I notice the skin difference after only one time. Maybe you just naturally have very smooth skin instead ;)

That sounds really nice. My Russian friend told me the russians have a word for this "hydrotherapy" and like to build saunas next to cold lakes!
Haha, I wish!!! Well, truthfully, my skin has been cooperative most of my life, except for my face. So thank you for the advice actually - I am going to try cold washing my face. It hasn't been great lately, I assume because of the stress and environmental changes.

And ah yes I had the opportunity to do that when I lived abroad... but again... the weenie issue... :laughing:
Speaking of weenies, I love sauna and then a grilled sausage outside in the cool air. Definitely recommend.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,953 Posts
Here’s Why You Need To Stop Showering Every Day
Honestly, I find this to be more myth and true. I don't know anyone who actually does this that often, let alone the fact that baths exist. It's certainly not normal, unhealthy and indicates some paranoia. I only start to feel oily/dirty after 3-4 days, in hotter climate (like in Catalonia) after 1-2 days. Nobody should clean themselves unless they feel getting dirty. It shouldn't be a rule, ever.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I don't know anyone who actually does this that often, let alone the fact that baths exist. It's certainly not normal, unhealthy and indicates some paranoia.
Bathing daily? That's interesting. I wonder if it is somewhat of a cultural thing; it seems fairly normal in my area. Especially since many people work out daily, they often will shower after they exercise to wash off excess sweat to avoid odor and clogged pores. I have never heard of the habit of bathing daily being abnormal or particularly unhealthy in and of itself, much less linked with paranoia - just unnecessary unless one has received a doctor's direction to do so for a specific health concern. High frequency washing can dry out skin and hair, and potentially strip the body of good bacteria, but that also has to do with what products one uses and the temperature of the water. Lukewarm water rather than very hot and avoiding harsh surfactants helps keep skin and hair happier! So does moisturizing when still wet if your skin is dry.

·
10,953 Posts
Bathing daily? That's interesting. I wonder if it is somewhat of a cultural thing; it seems fairly normal in my area.
Don't get me wrong, I don't say that anyone bathes everyday. No, that's not true. I'm saying that only using shower is weird. Baths are pretty much a de factor standard where I live (Lithuania). 2 days is very frequent and 3 days is kinda more okay. 4 days are optimal, then 5-6 days are just too rarely. I try to avoid bathing everyday like plaque, it's extremely wasteful (200 liters per bath + some for shower afterwards). Only due to some very special circumstances I would bath everyday, which practically never happen. The last time I had to take a bath "everyday" (it was more like two days in the row) was when I was in Catalonia. Climate there is really hot, 30 or more Celsius (also sun is at 70-80 degree angle, barely any clouds, you can see distorted air above asphalt). If you do anything outside, you get sweaty real fast and you have to wash it more often.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I don't say that anyone bathes everyday. No, that's not true. I'm saying that only using shower is weird. Baths are pretty much a de factor standard where I live (Lithuania). 2 days is very frequent and 3 days is kinda more okay. 4 days are optimal, then 5-6 days are just too rarely. I try to avoid bathing everyday like plaque, it's extremely wasteful (200 liters per bath + some for shower afterwards). Only due to some very special circumstances I would bath everyday, which practically never happen. The last time I had to take a bath "everyday" (it was more like two days in the row) was when I was in Catalonia. Climate there is really hot, 30 or more Celsius (also sun is at 70-80 degree angle, barely any clouds, you can see distorted air above asphalt). If you do anything outside, you get sweaty real fast and you have to wash it more often.
Oh, haha, that's so interesting though! I am in the Southern US and can't remember the last time I took a bath. I mostly see them as a stress reliever/relaxation option. I don't find them very comfortable though usually. I'm a bit tall and I can never successfully get my shoulders, knees, and feet all under water! Something always ends up being cold.
:laughing:

·
10,953 Posts
Oh, haha, that's so interesting though! I am in the Southern US and can't remember the last time I took a bath. I mostly see them as a stress reliever/relaxation option. I don't find them very comfortable though usually. I'm a bit tall and I can never successfully get my shoulders, knees, and feet all under water! Something always ends up being cold.
:laughing:
I'm around 185 cm long (in Imperials it would be around 6 feet and 0.8 inches), same hopeless situation. I'm pretty sure that most people don't completely fit in baths either. I don't end up cold at any place, mostly due to how small bathroom is (bathroom as in room with bath, also in my language bath and bathroom is the same word lol just like toilet is the same as bathroom). It's small enough so water steam stays there even if it's not really hot, just warm. I often spend 1.5 hours there and then 20 minutes for drying. 15 minutes of whole drying time are consumed just for drying out hair.

·
Registered
28,897 Posts
The last few years, I've mostly been setting the temperature on the cooler side, such that at least there would be no fog on the mirror.

But lately, I've been somewhat lazy and just went hot and then turned it back down to a very cold temperature as I finished.

The thing is I feel better after the cold. I used to get acne, but when I switched to cooler water I rarely see it. It is almost a killed off problem. But who knows if that is really why? Usually when I notice it, I actually take this contrast approach and it seems to go away quickly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Went to Budapest, to one of the many thermal baths... people were walking out of 40 degrees celsius baths or 50 degrees saunas straight under a bucket of cold water. Crazy peeps.

I don't enjoy it that much personally.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I shower with cool to cold water generally. Who needs caffeine to wake up in the morning after that!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This reminds me of how me, my sister, and our friends would sit in the jacuzzi at our apartment complex and then jump in the cold pool. We were weird kids.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts