1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throughout my life, I have been:
Angry
Mischievous
Distant (perhaps even wary, of those I don't know or don't trust)
Mocking (of those I perceive as weak or irrational. 'Big baby' is something I say a lot, mostly jokingly....)
Boisterous
Deep-feeling and sensitive (though this has been well-hidden. I have even been called insensitive many a time)
Forthright
Desiring respect over love (never been one to seek approval)
Silly
Longing (for the perfect life I have composed in my mind; gorgeous nature, freedom, elf-like people, etc.)
Protective (of animals and those others would take advantage of)
Moody/emotional (however, this may not be especially relevant, since I have bipolar 1)
Rebellious (but not for the sake of rebelling. I do what I want, is all; teachers, parents, etc. have no say)
Warrior/healer (these aspects of me clash)
Cheerful/energetic (up 'til bipolar 1 hit in my mid-teens)
Generous
Bossy
Brave
Shy (but not 'til my teen years. Was quite the opposite when I was younger)
Like to wrestle (as a kid I would beat up boys who said girls were weak)
Eccentric (as I said, I do what I want, even if that's shaving part of my head/going to Norway for a year when there are 'more responsible' AKA boring things to do)
Wild (aggressive, fierce, energetic, spontaneous)
Adventurous
Also, strangely enough, I was always cold when it came to touch. I was not a cuddly baby, and preferred to be on the go. Hugs always made me uncomfortable. Then I met my husband, and it's like he thawed me or something. I am very affectionate and cuddly with him, and even to my best friend now (and a wee bit more toward my family). He has also taught me patience and how to temper myself (I used to offend people a lot with critical/blunt words)

My greatest fears:
Being trapped (by obligations, or actual small spaces; def some claustrophobia)
Being useless
Being vulnerable/weak

Life goals:
Being a blacksmith/artist, living in a forest, travelling lots, rescuing animals, etc.

Anyone have any idea? Feel free to ask me questions. I will gladly answer! I have been told that I am a type 8 a few times, but I also relate strongly to type 4 and type 7. I have even been typed as a 874 tritype, or a 784, etc. I do not know if I am invulnerable enough to be a type 8, though? Or as grounded. Could be a 7 wing? Uncertain. I am not the most pragmatic, either, and I am a compassionate person (at least now).... So that is why I wonder. Thoughts?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eight? :) Seems to fit you perfectly based on that description.
You think so? Despite the sensitivity, moodiness, and shyness? It seems like most believe 8s can't have those traits? That list does sound very 8-like... hmm....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The union of 4 and 8 creates a polarity between vulnerability and invulnerability. The person at times can feel invulnerable while at other times emotionally vulnerable. When both type come together, you get someone who is a true individualistic that is driven by need to be 'themselves' and voice the truth of the moment. 458, 468, 478 are all truth tellers in their own way.
One interesting thing I've come across is that 4-8s all seem to have a hidden 'beast' in them- their emotional intuition (4) and instincts (8) resembles a beast that is able to 'smell' bullshit. I hypothesize that 478 is the tritype that is most 'feral'/animal-like (haha @Animal) because there is an unquenchable need for freedom, self-expression, and strong aversion towards rigid rules and regulations (they cramp their style!). 278 is similar is 478, however there is a greater awareness towards the how 'others' deem their desirability which can ultimately cause them to shapeshift to charm others while 4 is more self-referential.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You think so? Despite the sensitivity, moodiness, and shyness? It seems like most believe 8s can't have those traits? That list does sound very 8-like... hmm....
Of course! You're not going to fit your type perfectly anyway. You have enough major eight traits to make me believe you're an eight. Anyone can be sensitive/shy, no matter what the rest of the personality. And you said you're bipolar so there's that influencing you. Your MBTI is also going to influence you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The union of 4 and 8 creates a polarity between vulnerability and invulnerability. The person at times can feel invulnerable while at other times emotionally vulnerable. When both type come together, you get someone who is a true individualistic that is driven by need to be 'themselves' and voice the truth of the moment. 458, 468, 478 are all truth tellers in their own way.
One interesting thing I've come across is that 4-8s all seem to have a hidden 'beast' in them- their emotional intuition (4) and instincts (8) resembles a beast that is able to 'smell' bullshit. I hypothesize that 478 is the tritype that is most 'feral'/animal-like (haha @Animal) because there is an unquenchable need for freedom, self-expression, and strong aversion towards rigid rules and regulations (they cramp their style!). 278 is similar is 478, however there is a greater awareness towards the how 'others' deem their desirability which can ultimately cause them to shapeshift to charm others while 4 is more self-referential.
So @Quang, what do you believe the order of my 8, 4, and 7 tritype is? I know you were the one to initially type me, and I don't recall if I asked that (if I already did, I apologize!).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So @Quang, what do you believe the order of my 8, 4, and 7 tritype is? I know you were the one to initially type me, and I don't recall if I asked that (if I already did, I apologize!).
The most important thing is that you are sure about your core type (which in this case is possibly 8). The order of the other two numbers are highly changeable based on how the individual currently feels. Personally, I would go for SX784 or SX874

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Wow.. This is a great description. I shared it with two friends off perc because it was such an apt description of me as well as the tritype. :)

The only thing for me personally is, freedom and rules. I have mixed feelings on freedom. I feel being free means having nothing left to lose, and I don't like that, I have a strong sense of purpose. It was taken away from me when I got sick and lost everything and then, I was truly FREE, with nothing to lose - and it is not an "undead" state I would want to go back to. Life is passion and purpose, life is commitment. If you are talking about freedom to pursue my purpose - then yes, I will make sure I have a life that can be focused the way my heart demands.

As for rules, I do like to be respectful. So if I am in a school who has uniforms or someone needs shoes off in their house, I am there in that institution or house because I am learning or because I wanted to see someone.. so I will respect their rules in their own facility. As for my own time, yeah.. nobody can impose rules on me. I follow what I choose. It's really that simple. In my parents words, when asked about my childhood: "Nobody could ever get [Animal] to do anything she didn't want to do." Rules are no infringement on my autonomy because I agree to follow them in that circumstance, out of respect, or because it advances my purpose.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The most important thing is that you are sure about your core type (which in this case is possibly 8). The order of the other two numbers are highly changeable based on how the individual currently feels. Personally, I would go for SX784 or SX874
Sweet! Good to know, thanks! ^.^

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am the tritype of which we speak.

Ha ha ha...well that's what I thought once too. Then I learned better.

You know, the descriptions are heavily biased toward ExTJ 3-fixed 8s...they really are. And the stereotype, as well as all the online ideas about type 8, all play into that. If you claim a 4-fix, you really have to peel back the layers and ask yourself what an 8 really is? And how do its mechanics really play a role in your life? And that's the real way to get the answer. Characteristics are limited and limiting.

Quoting for truth...I always thought I was an animal growing up. I still kind of do. (I mean I am, humans are animals. But you know.)

Regarding the need for freedom, Animal says it best--

The only thing for me personally is, freedom and rules. I have mixed feelings on freedom. I feel being free means having nothing left to lose, and I don't like that, I have a strong sense of purpose. It was taken away from me when I got sick and lost everything and then, I was truly FREE, with nothing to lose - and it is not an "undead" state I would want to go back to. Life is passion and purpose, life is commitment. If you are talking about freedom to pursue my purpose - then yes, I will make sure I have a life that can be focused the way my heart demands.

As for rules, I do like to be respectful. So if I am in a school who has uniforms or someone needs shoes off in their house, I am there in that institution or house because I am learning or because I wanted to see someone.. so I will respect their rules in their own facility. As for my own time, yeah.. nobody can impose rules on me. I follow what I choose. It's really that simple. In my parents words, when asked about my childhood: "Nobody could ever get [Animal] to do anything she didn't want to do." Rules are no infringement on my autonomy because I agree to follow them in that circumstance, out of respect, or because it advances my purpose.
I have a similar story, regarding having nothing left to lose. There's an accompanying sense of absolute freedom--I've screwed everything else up so badly, who cares? You feel almost giddy, but at the same time, I recognize that I'm actually in kind of a bad state for being like this. I normally have a strong sense that there's something here I need to accomplish...but when it doesn't seem to matter anymore...I dunno, I have this delusional sense of, well, it's like on Scarface where he gets shot down at the end and the neon sign behind him is still flickering out "The World Is Yours".

I'll say no more on that topic.

I also have a similar view on freedom. I didn't really relate to that part of the tritype...I thought I was already free. I am. I've never really had an issue with "limitation" or feeling the need for "more freedom". Part of this was my non-impositional parents, part of it was my own state of mind. I thought I was very rule-abiding, because, well, respect.

Then I moved into a place that needed me to be very conformist...I really started feeling that then. Why do there have to be so many restrictions on my personal conduct? Pisses me off man. I mean, I'm an ardent proponent of following the rules, thinking of others, the common good, public welfare...etc., but when someone else's standards are imposed upon my person, it's too much compromise. I suppose I've been very lucky so far in not winding up in these positions.

But the bottom line is, I don't see myself as being terribly rule-breaking or resistant...I see myself as doing my own thing, which is nobody else's business.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
But the bottom line is, I don't see myself as being terribly rule-breaking or resistant...I see myself as doing my own thing, which is nobody else's business.
I agree with this 200%. I always say - I don't rebel or comply because that implies attentiveness or response to some framework of what is expected anyway. That is not how I work. I don't rebel for its own sake, I just do my own thing, whether others are doing it not. This times a billion.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Also, strangely enough, I was always cold when it came to touch. I was not a cuddly baby, and preferred to be on the go. Hugs always made me uncomfortable. Then I met my husband, and it's like he thawed me or something. I am very affectionate and cuddly with him, and even to my best friend now (and a wee bit more toward my family). He has also taught me patience and how to temper myself (I used to offend people a lot with critical/blunt words)
As a stereotypical ExTJ 3-fixed eight, I very strongly relate to this.

It's weird to me that people think eights aren't supposed to be sensitive or moody. They're reactive, id types. How can't they be? Sure, the emotional expression of eights could be limited compared to other types, but anger is totally an emotion!

Shyness isn't mutually exclusive to the eight core. Sometimes that shyness is used to increase the distance between the eights and others, as a defensive option. Because, you know, eights are afraid of being hurt (why else would their basic desire be for self-protection?), but it's easier to perceive getting physically hurt than getting emotionally hurt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with this 200%. I always say - I don't rebel or comply because that implies attentiveness or response to some framework of what is expected anyway. That is not how I work. I don't rebel for its own sake, I just do my own thing, whether others are doing it not. This times a billion.
Yes! If you rebel just to rebel, aren't you still under others' control anyway? Best to go your own way, break the rules when you need to, be respectful of them when you can. I do think rules are stupid, but unless they hinder me in some significant way, I acquiesce well enough.

That being said, I am belligerent... if someone tells me what to do outright, it will likely irk me and make me want to NOT do that, and maybe even do the opposite... it seriously depends. But I like to think I have a happy-medium, heheh. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a stereotypical ExTJ 3-fixed eight, I very strongly relate to this.

It's weird to me that people think eights aren't supposed to be sensitive or moody. They're reactive, id types. How can't they be? Sure, the emotional expression of eights could be limited compared to other types, but anger is totally an emotion!

Shyness isn't mutually exclusive to the eight core. Sometimes that shyness is used to increase the distance between the eights and others, as a defensive option. Because, you know, eights are afraid of being hurt (why else would their basic desire be for self-protection?), but it's easier to perceive getting physically hurt than getting emotionally hurt.
This is very true. Also, I wonder if it is an 8 thing to be wounded, but not feel anything but a burning anger in your gut until suddenly, you burst into tears, days later. I rarely ever cry, but this happened to me once, and I was as shocked as anyone when I started crying. Only then did I realize how hurt I was. Kind of an embarrassing story, heheh, I am happy to say this happened 1-2 times in my entire life. But they were significant moments.

Anger is easier to deal with than sadness, I think... it burns and calls for action, whereas just plain sadness drowns you in a puddle of patheticness. Haha.

Anyway, enough rambling from me.... I am glad to see that another 8 relates! Sometimes I wonder if I am a 7 or even a 4 (they are in my tritype).... But it is good to know 8s aren't just. Hulks. Or something. Hahaha. But rather, humans with emotions like every other type? Just more suppressed, definitely.

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is very true. Also, I wonder if it is an 8 thing to be wounded, but not feel anything but a burning anger in your gut until suddenly, you burst into tears, days later. I rarely ever cry, but this happened to me once, and I was as shocked as anyone when I started crying. Only then did I realize how hurt I was. Kind of an embarrassing story, heheh, I am happy to say this happened 1-2 times in my entire life. But they were significant moments.
Yeah, it's called defense mechanism: denial. It's even classically considered one of the first stages of grief!

The tears come days later too, but for me, it can come immediately... These days, I'm more comfortable crying. I get into these moods where I feel like I need to let it out, so I start thinking about sad things. Sometimes I need to feel really bad emotionally so I can feel really good emotionally! Either extreme to me is better than numbness.

Anger is easier to deal with than sadness, I think... it burns and calls for action, whereas just plain sadness drowns you in a puddle of patheticness. Haha.
Enough sad things have happened in my life for reasons that are not my fault, so in those situations, I'm sad, and the reason isn't because of my patheticness. Recognizing the situations in which I'm actually powerless is important to me. I don't have to justify my sadness in those cases beyond "because I care". If anything, people should be relieved that I'm not a sociopath.

Anyway, enough rambling from me.... I am glad to see that another 8 relates! Sometimes I wonder if I am a 7 or even a 4 (they are in my tritype).... But it is good to know 8s aren't just. Hulks. Or something. Hahaha. But rather, humans with emotions like every other type? Just more suppressed, definitely.
The disintegration descriptions are much easier to paint/stereotype than descriptions of healthier eights. Healthier versions of most types resemble each other, and they're harder to type.

:kitteh:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, it's called defense mechanism: denial. It's even classically considered one of the first stages of grief!

The tears come days later too, but for me, it can come immediately... These days, I'm more comfortable crying. I get into these moods where I feel like I need to let it out, so I start thinking about sad things. Sometimes I need to feel really bad emotionally so I can feel really good emotionally! Either extreme to me is better than numbness.

Enough sad things have happened in my life for reasons that are not my fault, so in those situations, I'm sad, and the reason isn't because of my patheticness. Recognizing the situations in which I'm actually powerless is important to me. I don't have to justify my sadness in those cases beyond "because I care". If anything, people should be relieved that I'm not a sociopath.

The disintegration descriptions are much easier to paint/stereotype than descriptions of healthier eights. Healthier versions of most types resemble each other, and they're harder to type.

:kitteh:
Oh, no no! Sorry. That was poorly phrased. I don't mind other people crying at all, I just take a harsh view on it toward myself sometimes. It was included in the bit where I was talking about 8s in general but I def didn't mean to say that it was pathetic to cry. God, no. It's important to process things; strong, even, to feel them fully and let them go. You know? It is actually likely a weakness of mine that I have trouble doing so, and fear the power of emotions so much. I think it's a sign of development as an 8 to be able to, so good on you. :)

That is so true, actually. It's unhealthy 8s that want to bully/overpower everyone (I definitely had that phase). Healthier ones can be generous and compassionate, even, no?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A sign of development as a human being, too, for that matter....

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh, no no! Sorry. That was poorly phrased. I don't mind other people crying at all, I just take a harsh view on it toward myself sometimes. It was included in the bit where I was talking about 8s in general but I def didn't mean to say that it was pathetic to cry. God, no. It's important to process things; strong, even, to feel them fully and let them go. You know? It is actually likely a weakness of mine that I have trouble doing so, and fear the power of emotions so much. I think it's a sign of development as an 8 to be able to, so good on you. :)

That is so true, actually. It's unhealthy 8s that want to bully/overpower everyone (I definitely had that phase). Healthier ones can be generous and compassionate, even, no?
Yeah, when I discovered the enneagram, I showed it to some family and friends who have known me for a very long time, like middle school, and when I read the descriptions of 8w7, including the bad parts, they're like, "normally those things are supposed to be caricatures, but it described you perfectly!" :rolleyes:

Could be the heart-fix. I'm 873. Unlike everyone else, literally every single enneagram test I ever took, when they give you how you rank with all the types, my top scores are 873 or 837. When I went around saying "I feel like I'm like halfway between seven and eight", it didn't occur to me how right I was in feeling that until I took another enneagram test with more detailed results (I think timeless's test?) that it showed me that my tritype was 8w7, 7w8, and 3w4. Like, everyone else have expanded tritypes that spans a larger piece of the enneagram, whereas mine... is very concentrated in certain areas.

Emotions. Think about it this way: type eight is between "fear forgotten" (7) and "anger forgotten" (9) and your wing basically says "which emotion are you really going to forget even harder?". So if your heart fix is "shame forgotten" (3)... Emotions are hard. So yeah, processing my emotions is something I'm very invested in. I used to idealize being as robotic and mechanical as possible, but I've grown past that and understand the advantages of emotions.

I'm triple id, and blessed with the virtues of innocence and truthfulness, I am shamelessly a kid. Some part of me thinks it's sad and overly cynical that it's considered "normal" to not cry when you're sad, as if being able to do so shows that "you're an adult" or "you're strong" or something.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
8s can cry???!! IMPOSSIBLE!!! I always thought they were all emotionless hulks :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts