Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You hear a lot about INTPs being into computers, math, books, and video games, but I have never been into those things very much.

Playing and following sports takes up a lot of that space for me.

I don't know how much time I have spent studying and practicing golf. As somebody who really enjoys having a system for something, golf fits that very well. I did the same thing with baseball when I played that in high school.

It seems like sports can be a great place for that mental energy to go.

Anybody else use their obsessive INTP thinking powers on sports?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've always thought golf would be an interesting and enjoyable past time. Calculating distances, wind, course design (curves, the green, etc.), wedge/iron, etc. to be potentially fascinating. Unfortunately, I've not taken the initiative to do anything about it.

I enjoy biking a lot, but haven't done that in years either. I'd like rock climbing too. As it is, the closest outdoor thing I do even close to a "sport" is maintaining my garden lol. (And I'm in the US; the Garden here means some plants in pots, and doesn't mean "yard.")

Edit: I'd love to get into racing. I believe I'd excel at just about any type I can think of. Though I wouldn't consider that a "sport" in the same way as others hehe.

Edit2: Paintball. I've only gone four or five times, but I excelled at it and enjoyed it incredibly.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I enjoy recreational sports with no real goal or pressure.
This.

I like skateboarding and indoor climbing. I can do it at my own pace, have my own control, can stop and start whenever I like, no pressure, no commitment, but still great exercise.

Oddly I find myself to rather enjoy competitive team sports too, but I never, ever choose to do them, or even watch them on TV, for that matter. I haven't done any team sports in years, but I do enjoy the camaraderie and 'shared motive' of the group. It may be a primal, 'male ego' thing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've always played sports and watched them and known every player for every team of baseball/basketball/football. In the last year-ish I haven't payed much attention to sports tho. It may be because all the teams I like suck, and the only team that is any good, Ohio State, was banned from a football bowl last year lol.

Last year in high school in my volleyball class I had a ton of fun. I'm actually really athletic and was probably the best player in the class. But I really enjoy volleyball. It's just pure athletic skills and quick decisions which I love about it, especially since I'm not strong but strength isn't a requirement. Unlike football where I can go up and make a crazy catch, but I can't tackle or block anyone lol.

I like skateboarding and indoor climbing. I can do it at my own pace, have my own control, can stop and start whenever I like, no pressure, no commitment, but still great exercise.
I'd love to learn skateboarding, its just like a pure skill thing and those are the types of sports/activities I like the best. Learning parkquor would be awesome too and kinda fits along those lines.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
No. I think I'd like golf if I were good at it but alas I have no talent lol, and practice seems to make it worse.

I find watching polo kind of fun, like a horse battle from olden times (TM) except no one dies. ( :sad: )

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I used to play sports quite a bit when I was younger, but in the last few years I haven't been doing it that much. I enjoy volleyball and basketball, but never really had the talent, nor the drive to push myself.

I enjoy watching hockey when the home team is playing, and I like the Olympics, but otherwise I don't watch sports.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm a very coordinated guy so yes, I've been on football (soccer), basketball, skateboarding and currently on boxing. I love sports, specially tactical ones, where you need to think (and yes, you need to think on boxing). It makes me feel free, being able to express myself physically is a bless.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've always played sports and watched them and known every player for every team of baseball/basketball/football. In the last year-ish I haven't payed much attention to sports tho. It may be because all the teams I like suck, and the only team that is any good, Ohio State, was banned from a football bowl last year lol.
Hmm... a Buckeye fan. I'm a Duck fan.

I love to watch just about any college football game. I like to watch some of other sports too, but mainly just college football.

As far as sports that I play go, I only really play Ultimate Frisbee, and some tennis here and there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rock Climbing, Capoeira, Tumbling, Slacklining, Skateboarding(when I was younger), Cycling, running events like the "Tough Mudder" etc.

I like sports where you challenge yourself, I'm not too into competitive sports

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've been involved in various sports over the years. Marathon running, soccer, tennis, baseball, golf, bowling. Nowadays I don't play as much as I used to thanks to being too busy, but I still find time to golf, kayak and play soccer fairly regularly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You hear a lot about INTPs being into computers, math, books, and video games, but I have never been into those things very much.

Playing and following sports takes up a lot of that space for me.

I don't know how much time I have spent studying and practicing golf. As somebody who really enjoys having a system for something, golf fits that very well. I did the same thing with baseball when I played that in high school.

It seems like sports can be a great place for that mental energy to go.

Anybody else use their obsessive INTP thinking powers on sports?
I had two recumbent bikes and on of them was this kind of prototype I've bought and sold to a frenchmen :

FastFWD and http://fastfwd.nl/index.php?id=44 - I had a double and a single wheel part. I know why I did not slide away :)

The other one is standing still. But it has a trailer on wheels :) I used both a lot to bike with.

I sport in house with Jillian Michaels DVD's ... Till I had a bad knee and a to hot summer lately.

So I am back walking trips about 7.5 miles on my own.

And if all goes well : I have a showroom-model Nordic Track Incline Trainer in house with iFit cards of Jillian Michaels.

It is priced down a lot and I like to have it, cause I want too sport to get slimmer as a sweetie woman.

Sporting and keeping sporting is difficult for me and I need to change a lot. Also emotional feelings breaks sporting.

Lara.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I guess if I was really good at a sport... but I played baseball little league. I played right field because I stunk. (listen to Brian Regan's experience on Baseball little league and you'll know what my experience was). I don't. I can play basketball and stuff, but in the end, I just don't care enough to put a lot of effort into it. My parents never put much emphasis or even watched football or any other sports, so I grew up not knowing how to play or the athletes involved. So even when I tried to get into fantasy football that my friends were all playing, I just gave up on it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Why not open yourself paintball game environment on your own ?!

Is that not a nice idea to work on ?

L.
I used to think that would be awesome. Life isn't going that way right now, and honestly I am unsure how much enjoyment I'd get out of the game now. (Probably a lot though.)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like watching American football, but the only team I like are the Raiders and they suck balls. Overall I don't really "get" sports like that.
I wish I had played in softball, I know I would have been into it.
I used to compete in shooting sports, like guns and archery, I really enjoyed that.
I still like to watch baseball from our local team (Elsinore Storms), but I only watch if I'm physically there because it gives me something to do... sometimes I root for the opposing team, my trolling has no limits it seems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts