Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISFPs are said to be impulsive, cherishing little ideas and decisions and preferences and performances and projects that occur to them. I see Ni and Te in there, personally.

What have you done or seen seen or focused on recently that you found satisfying. And maybe, why?

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start:

~A periwinkle blue wool-felt bird with a white heart in it, hanging on one of my nightstand drawer handles. (A beautiful handmade valentine from my sis... <ISFJ)

~Doing dance stretches at night to help me relax and sleep peacefully.

~The rows of paintbrushes, brush end sticking up, at the craft store. Very pleasing to touch and look at at. Soft, hard, bristly, fuzzy, black white, neutral.

~Drawing my own personal chart of my own enneagrams, based on an article I am reading. Mapping my disintegrations and integrations.*

* (Basically saying, as a 5-4-9, I am concerned with competence and knowledge; personal identity; and inner and outer peace/existence/balance. When I am in disintegration, I will stumble over desires for gratification; love/acceptance; and security/good conscience. In direction of integration, my goals wil be power; ideals; and achievement. It is foreign to say it, but I need to focus on power, ideals and achievement. Summed up, I need goals.)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'll start:

~A periwinkle blue wool-felt bird with a white heart in it, hanging on one of my nightstand drawer handles. (A beautiful handmade valentine from my sis... <ISFJ)
Sweet little description:)

Recently I've been really concentrate on drawing and painting, and on developing my own style MORE than anything else. I'm spending hours and hours on that. I have always had a very vague impression about what my style will one day be, which is supposed to be unique. I guess this is a very Ni thing, and sometimes I doubt if I'm a Ni-dom instead of a Fi-dom.

I say "supposed to be" because there are so many different artistic styles out there and nothing is really new and unique anymore. I also look at a lot of art done by other people and do lots of study, also photography and all kind of possible inspiration, which can be anything existing in the world. What I'm doing is trying to force my style out onto the paper by attacking myself with all kind of things. I feel satisfied whenever I make a progress, no matter how small it is.

////

Recently my local Starbucks is offering a little deal, a free flavor shot for two hours every afternoon, which is just amazing :D. I always love a little bit vanilla or hazelnut syrup added to my cup. Now I get that for free, yay.

Good food and drink always do this awesome thing of making me feel like the luckiest person in the world, especially when I'm hungry or having been overworking on stuff for long hours.

Another thing I love to do is that when I'm at home lately at night, I get some beer from the fridge or somewhere in my room, turn off all the light, turn on my favorite music, sit on a coach, look out of the window at the landscape, and just enjoy everything I get altogether.

Of course sun rise, or around that time, when the beautiful light comes into the house and create shapes of light and shadow of the interior. Very romantic.

* (Basically saying, as a 5-4-9, I am concerned with competence and knowledge; personal identity; and inner and outer peace/existence/balance. When I am in disintegration, I will stumble over desires for gratification; love/acceptance; and security/good conscience. In direction of integration, my goals wil be power; ideals; and achievement. It is foreign to say it, but I need to focus on power, ideals and achievement. Summed up, I need goals.)
Off topic here. How do you decide if you are a 549 or 594? I'm either one of them, but I'm not sure.

I feel the same with some of what you say here as well. I value knowledge and I feel the need to be competent in order to feel secure, which doesn't mean that I'm in anyway competent at all. No it doesn't necessarily make my feel secure but if I don't keep equipping myself with knowledge and skills I will definitely feel insecure.

I value inner and outer peace/existence/balance as well. For personal identity, idk, I don't consciously seek a personal identity, but sometimes I think about it. What does it mean to be human, to have a personal identity, to be myself? There are a whole lot of philosophy out there, which I have not delved into, about this group of questions. A lot of time thinking about personal identity sounds pointless to me. Usually I just be. I'm just me.

You use quite a lot of big words for the big ideas here. I realize that it's not my usual language. In general I kind of agree with you with the rest of the things I have not mentioned above, but I guess I don't deliberately think about it, or talk about it. I don't think my goal is power, but definitely some achievement, which is not going to look big to the others, but as long as it is important to me and not detrimental to my life and the others', I don't really care what other thinks, and hopefully some "ideals." (added content)

I think you have goals, but they seem to be something pretty vague and abstract deep in your mind I guess.

I need goals as well. I have short-term goals but not a very long-term one

Reactions: Queen Qualia

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet little description:)

Recently I've been really concentrate on drawing and painting, and on developing my own style MORE than anything else. I'm spending hours and hours on that. I have always had a very vague impression about what my style will one day be, which is supposed to be unique. I guess this is a very Ni thing, and sometimes I doubt if I'm a Ni-dom instead of a Fi-dom.

I say "supposed to be" because there are so many different artistic styles out there and nothing is really new and unique anymore. I also look at a lot of art done by other people and do lots of study, also photography and all kind of possible inspiration, which can be anything existing in the world. What I'm doing is trying to force my style out onto the paper by attacking myself with all kind of things. I feel satisfied whenever I make a progress, no matter how small it is.

////

Recently my local Starbucks is offering a little deal, a free flavor shot for two hours every afternoon, which is just amazing :D. I always love a little bit vanilla or hazelnut syrup added to my cup. Now I get that for free, yay.

Good food and drink always do this awesome thing of making me feel like the luckiest person in the world, especially when I'm hungry or having been overworking on stuff for long hours.

Another thing I love to do is that when I'm at home lately at night, I get some beer from the fridge or somewhere in my room, turn off all the light, turn on my favorite music, sit on a coach, look out of the window at the landscape, and just enjoy everything I get altogether.

Of course sun rise, or around that time, when the beautiful light comes into the house and create shapes of light and shadow of the interior. Very romantic.

Off topic here. How do you decide if you are a 549 or 594? I'm either one of them, but I'm not sure.

I feel the same with some of what you say here as well. I value knowledge and I feel the need to be competent in order to feel secure, which doesn't mean that I'm in anyway competent at all. No it doesn't necessarily make my feel secure but if I don't keep equipping myself with knowledge and skills I will definitely feel insecure.

I value inner and outer peace/existence/balance as well. For personal identity, idk, I don't consciously seek a personal identity, but sometimes I think about it. What does it mean to be human, to have a personal identity, to be myself? There are a whole lot of philosophy out there, which I have not delved into, about this group of questions. A lot of time thinking about personal identity sounds pointless to me. Usually I just be. I'm just me.

You use quite a lot of big words for the big ideas here. I realize that it's not my usual language. In general I kind of agree with you with the rest of the things I have not mentioned above, but I guess I don't deliberately think about it, or talk about it. I don't think my goal is power, but definitely some achievement, which is not going to look big to the others, but as long as it is important to me and not detrimental to my life and the others', I don't really care what other thinks, and hopefully some "ideals." (added content)

I think you have goals, but they seem to be something pretty vague and abstract deep in your mind I guess.

I need goals as well. I have short-term goals but not a very long-term one

First off, enjoyed reading the first section. :) I treated myself to a double shot caramel latte there the other day. Almost worth all 375 pennies. :)

About the big words and abstract goals: funny you mention it, as they weren't my choice of words, for the most part, but ones I derived directly from the article I was reading... And those goals aren't _really_ mine, consciously, but according to the theory, if my enneagram trifix is moving in the direction of integration, I will be more like the types who value those things (8,1,3), not necessarily valuing the goals myself, per se. Whereas, under stress, I will behave like unhealthy 7,2,6. Knowing my directions of disintegration and integration, in order of how much they effect me, helped me pinpoint my enneatype (although, I was relatively certain anyway). Well, almost...

I have a similar issue to you, only instead of 5-4-9/5-9-4, I am not sure if I'm 5-4-9 or 4-5-9. But I lean towards the 5; the reason I want to doubt it, is I don't feel that I would be considered intelligent enough to be a 5, but I'm not sure that's a valid reason. In fact, it would seem to point to the 5-type.

But knowing how I am when I'm progressing or stressed, directs me to my type. Extremities of the average, as it were. I relate to all the negative effects of being a 7 (scattered!) and 2 (clingy!) and also then the 6, although it's so faint, I hardly know it well (I'm rarely the type to run on stress while complaining about it). I also know when I am feeling my best, I become assertive like an 8 and confident like a 1, and there again, just barely, I get a little bit of that 3 achievement mindset, just faintly.

So, I would say, pay close attention to the directions, and how you would rank them, it gives it so much more depth. As for the wings, I am positive about those except for the 9. I feel like a 9 with the w8 sometimes, and other times, 9 with w1. I've read it's possible to have multiple wings, though one will be more dominant.

You definitely strike me as 5, and based on your somewhat uncomfortable description of 4 and 1, my guesstimate would be 5-9-4. Only you can really know though. And of course, it's only theoretical,as I am.constantly reminding myself.

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just realized though, honestly, as long as a person is sure of their three types, the order won't really matter. All the information you need can be had just being able to recognize a fear and deal with it, regardless of how frequent it is. I wonder too, if time of life can effect it. I was much more concerned with my identity as a pre- and young teen than now. Now, and when I was a kid, the worry is much more over competence. I also think arenas and situations are important. Even if I'm 5-4-9, but I'm circumstantially thrown into situations which for various reasons have more to do with my heart than my head, then I will get more practice being a 4, regardless of my preference for 5. If someone is 5 dominant, 4 next, but nothing ever goes right for the ways of a 5, then I don't see why the 5 wouldn't in becoming like an unhealthy 7, feel free to shrink behind a healthy 4 side anyway. And when and if the 4 gets crushed down to a pulpy 2, then maybe I get in touch with my loftier nature as a 9 until I stagger back to my actual type. :p

Etc, etc! Haha. I could go on and on. Don't even remember what point I was making.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm pretty sure I'm a 5 based on test and reading, and a 5w4. I also strongly relate to 9. I score almost equally high between 5 and 9. I have not go into the theoretical part of Enneagram but only stay on the surface of type description. Much like someone who only read about the MBTI personality type description, things like ISFP being quiet, easygoing, artistic, etc, without going into functions.

So my understanding of Enneagram can be quite shallow. The only thing of the theoretical part I know is that 5, 4, 9 each belong to a different parts of the body, which make me think that they can be really like orange apple and banana. I guess the second and the third would have less significance in terms of order and influence. I'm not sure which one, 4 or 9, is stronger than the other in me. Or they are actually affecting myself at the same time in a different way? That's actually how I feel, which is that they are almost as strong as each other but affect me in different ways or at different times.

But I know that people make them as two types, 594 and 549, so I guess there should be a difference between the two and a way to identify.

Etc, etc! Haha. I could go on and on. Don't even remember what point I was making.
Same

Oh and I'm curious about what you mean by "your somewhat uncomfortable description of 4 and 1." I don't remember talking anything about 4 and 1...

Reactions: Queen Qualia

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought a strawberry tart today, and I ate it.

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and I'm curious about what you mean by "your somewhat uncomfortable description of 4 and 1." I don't remember talking anything about 4 and 1...

4 = personal identity

1 = ideals

You didn't seem terribly... Familiar (wrong word) when talking about those things, they seemed kind of distant and abstract to you, instead of deeply personal down to every facet, from what I could tell; which would point to you not being a 4 as much as 5 or 9. I'm not meaning to be a type-bully or anything.

I was probably being all cart before the horse, like I always am, but the summaries below are what I was referring to in my original footnote*, the basic desires of the 9 types. I wasn't clear at all, big surprise. Anyway, each one of those words/word groups was in reference to a type.

Am I making any sense? I am so bad at patching up my lousy, hole-ridden reasoning amd summarized explanations...! :p :D

1 = principles, staunch in ideals; wants to put them in place; a type of control, a funnel for frustration/anger

2 = want to give and receive love

3 = achievement-oriented

4 = desires acceptance and definition of personal identity, by self and others; ability to acknowledge "who I am," good and bad.

5 = desires competence and knowledge; visible capabilty and self-assured appearance; a self-acknowledged desire to become independent

6 = (I don't understand this type much, except on the mot basic level); apparently desires security and good conscience in all things; loyal, sincere

7 = desires never to be deprived or disappointed; pained or bored; wants fullness on life; instant gratifications

8 = wants power and control, over self and for the benefit of others

9 = wants harmony, inner and outer; and so is willing to give up personal "gains" and beliefs for the gaining of peace, which is considered far better; this could be considered a type of control

*Here is that said footnote, for reference: "...(Basically saying, as a 5-4-9, I am concerned with competence and knowledge; personal identity; and inner and outer peace/existence/balance. When I am in disintegration, I will stumble over desires for gratification; love/acceptance; and security/good conscience. In direction of integration, my goals wil be power; ideals; and achievement. It is foreign to say it, but I need to focus on power, ideals and achievement. Summed up, I need goals.)..."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts