Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new subject and the lecturer is very pro-myers-briggs. We all get divided into teams and discuss the positive and negative implications it may have for teamwork...

I study engineering and so there aren't many ladies in my class... hence it's me and 3 guys in the team.

Their types are: INTJ, ESTJ, and ENTJ...

SO anyway I commented on how I'm the only FP in the group and when they asked what that meant I said:
that it basically means that I make decisions based on how I feel and prefer exploring options while they typically think something out and make a decision.

Their response?

Well that makes sense, you're a girl.

Would just like to hear your opinions :) Especially the ENFP gentlemen out there!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Hahhahahaha...

They've never learned about MBTI.

I'm a feeler-type guy, but I use my brain as much as possible when decision making. If you were to shoot from the hip and classify me in a group, you'd definitely type me as an NT.

Using F is really just having Fe or Fi in your top two cognitive functions, though. This just means you weigh other people or your own feelings, into your viewpoints. It doesn't actually mean total illogical behavior.

Like for me, I may "think" something is good using T, but then I'll also use F to decide if it's best for everyone. How are other people impacted by my decision? This may ultimately cause me to change my mind. T types may just ignore other's opinions unless they specifically think along those lines.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It is considered the 'statues quo' and more acceptable for girls to be more into feeling and guys to be more logical. Although the lecturer might understand MBTI it does not sound like the class or your peers that you were with understand it. In public I am good at being logical although it is not my preferred method. I usually have more gal friends then guy friends because I can be myself around them...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
haha they can think what they like, it doesn't bother me at all. Women are not inferior to men in any way, so I do not consider being compared to them an insult in any way.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just like Razare, my Fi is used more as a weight in my decisions than T-types. For me, my Fi is just a filter for what I say and what I do. After weighing out a situation, or thinking about what I want to say, my Fi will kick in and go, "Should you really do/say that? Is that who you are and what you want for everyone?" After considering that question, I finally make a decision to do/say something. If you read my arguments in the Debate forum, or read the papers I've written for classes, you'd definitely type me as an NT. This is purely because I use my Te to argue the conclusion my Fi made, and I do a damn good job of it, if I don't say so myself! :proud:

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Actually, there's a lot of F-type guys. The thing is, they don't at first appear to be using F. They're like WMDistraction or Me, and seem to be another type.

Also, I have an ESFJ friend who is a guy. He couldn't be more manly. ESFJ's adopt social norms that are apparent in their upbringing. Men are supposed to be manly and so he is. He releases his F side by telling jokes, socializing with other guys about sports and stuff like that. There's many ways of using F in manly ways. People who don't know MBTI well would think they're a T type, when they're nowhere near it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Boo. :( That's not a fair thing to say at all.

And, for the record, I only know one female ENFP in real life...but I know four ENFP males. :tongue: They're plenty masculine, too (one guy is an avid rock climber and camper, another is an avid rugby player and runner, all of them are muscly and face stubbly....haha :crazy:).

And ALL of them make decisions based on Fi. Doesn't make them any less men.

That stereotype kinda makes me wish I were an NT, just to turn people's perceptions upside down. However, I'm undeniably an NF...but that doesn't make me irrational or overly-emotional!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
*grumble grumble grumble grumble*!!

nah.. i don't think it makes a difference tbh. i mean i never fit in with the blokey blokes, but then i appear just as masculine as some Ts (from the outside where i present my Te to the world, on the inside there is more Fi going on than i would let on..). i don't think it makes all that much of a noticeable difference since most guy ENFPs will have a well developed Te. plus there are still plenty of male Fs out and about.
the main difference between me and Ts in my opinion is the fact that i smile more and im more friendly in my mannerisms.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
not EN...but an FP guy here. I don't think you'll find a load of FP's, especially NFP's in engineering, hell I was and left it. Not my crowd, and not my type of work. I don't really care if people believe I think in a feminine way...If they have a problem with that, they're probably not someone I want to know anyways.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
not EN...but an FP guy here. I don't think you'll find a load of FP's, especially NFP's in engineering, hell I was and left it. Not my crowd, and not my type of work. I don't really care if people believe I think in a feminine way...If they have a problem with that, they're probably not someone I want to know anyways.
thank you. someone who speaks some frigging sense.
it makes zero difference to my life.

·
Registered
929 Posts
i saw this thread and thought:
"why would anyone complain about there being mostly girls"

Somehow i forgot that girls might not enjoy that fact as much as i do :p

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ahaha! :tongue: (Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but the response of the guys in your group just made me smile. XDD) You know, even in school, one of my TEACHERS told us guys tend to be T types more than F types, just because of the way male and female brains work compared to each other... she said guys' minds are like waffles and girls' minds are like spaghetti. (For the guys, when you pour syrup onto a waffle, it enters one square at a time... she said guys tend to focus on one thing at a time. And for girls, she said it's like spaghetti because everything all tangled up and connecting, meaning we connect everything that's happening to everything else.)

...But OF COURSE there's plenty of male F types and female T types. :3 I don't know what the male/female statistics are for F/T types, and I don't know if what my teacher told us is actually fact or just a stereotype or a "usually".

Personally, male F types appeal to me VERY much. :wink:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
:dry:
I have a new subject and the lecturer is very pro-myers-briggs. We all get divided into teams and discuss the positive and negative implications it may have for teamwork...

I study engineering and so there aren't many ladies in my class... hence it's me and 3 guys in the team.

Their types are: INTJ, ESTJ, and ENTJ...

SO anyway I commented on how I'm the only FP in the group and when they asked what that meant I said:
that it basically means that I make decisions based on how I feel and prefer exploring options while they typically think something out and make a decision.

Their response?

Well that makes sense, you're a girl.

Would just like to hear your opinions :) Especially the ENFP gentlemen out there!
STATISTIC: 2/3 of women are feelers, and 2/3 of men are thinkers. Therefore, when men are feelers and women are thinkers, they get labeled "wierd".

·
Registered
518 Posts
Therefore, when men are feelers and women are thinkers, they get labeled "wierd".
...And being labeled "weird" is supposed to be a bad thing? :wink:

It's too bad that some people still can't open up their minds more and accept that what's "womanly" and "manly" is incredibly subjective, and that there shouldn't be standards set upon those expectations. =\

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
...And being labeled "weird" is supposed to be a bad thing? :wink:

It's too bad that some people still can't open up their minds more and accept that what's "womanly" and "manly" is incredibly subjective, and that there shouldn't be standards set upon those expectations. =\
I'm just telling you how it is lady. It does kind of suck for a man to be a feeler, because if he takes it too far, he could be labeled a pussy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
... she said guys' minds are like waffles and girls' minds are like spaghetti. (For the guys, when you pour syrup onto a waffle, it enters one square at a time... she said guys tend to focus on one thing at a time. And for girls, she said it's like spaghetti because everything all tangled up and connecting, meaning we connect everything that's happening to everything else.)
The Waffle and Spaghetti thing is from a book, I can't think of the tittle, author off the top of my head. But in the book it talks about men and women in a relationships, like the "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" book.

Anyway, in the book, they say Men put their thoughts into "boxes" or compartments like Waffles have, and so men think, work, or talk about one thing at a time. While Women tend to run their thoughts freely from one thing to the next. The example in that book was great, the author used something that is pretty typical of most couples.

The example was of a man and woman coming home from work and talking about their day. The woman's sentence was something like "oh, I had a bad day, the drive was bad, and Suzy bought these shoes, Dave had water problems at home and so I couldn't get my work done..."

I don't know enough about Personality Types to know if this is only one type, but I have to say, I use to joke about this all the time with my wife at the time. When she was stressed out, her thoughts would flow from one thing to the next just like one noodle intersecting with another noodle on a plate of Spaghetti.

As an ENFP, I don't see myself as less manly, I just know I am more in tune with what everyone is doing / feeling around me. If I am with my guys friends, I don't point out pretty pink purses or anything, but if I see that it will be helpful to hand them a tool as they are repairing something then I try to helpful in that way.

Have a great day!

SirDude

Reactions: Kitten

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
*cringe*

i'm a girl and i don't like that generalization. i want to be myself because i'm me, not because my characteristics are given to me automatically along with my gender

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Wait. I'm still stuck on the idea that being an ENFP some how makes one a "pussy".

I feel like kicking someone's ass. :angry:

And guys if it helps, I've been told before that hanging out with me can feel like a person is hanging out with "one of the guys". I don't take this personal.

Maybe ENFPs just have a leg over each side of society's conditioned fences. We are are NOT pussies! We are just balanced. Om....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe ENFPs just have a leg over each side of society's conditioned fences.
So does mean you / us, as ENFP's are stuck on the fence or enjoying the ride? :confused:

By the way, I like how you managed to use an analogy with your legs straddling something. You really do fit the the ENFP type. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts