Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to a wise friend here, I am taking some advice:

In regards to the forum, there is a middle way to take if you can discipline yourself to do this.... create a thread specific to you "lullablyblossom" corner or something like that and whenever you have insights, thoughts, ideas you wish to share with us you post it there and allow people to benefit from it and comment on it. By doing so, you have a connection with your friends here and at the same time you don't spread yourself thin by reaching out to the myriad of members here unless you choose to at specific times. The forum can be a two way street. You can be inspired and inspire others at the same time......This way you contribute without being overwhelmed by the forum. I think part of this is also that INFJ's are best equipped to handle individuals one on one, or small groups work better for them.
For any takers - I'm re-posting an old blog post that didn't get many hits in case someone out there relates to the topic.

Quotes to remember from "Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone" by Joyce Meyer
(I realize there are those here who are not believers in God, so hopefully you can find something more generalized that applies to you.)

"Whatever people think of us is between them and God and not our concern."

"Sometimes the only way we can find out what we are meant to be doing in life is to step out and try some things."

"We are held in bondage by what we refuse to face and deal with."

"People who worry excessively clearly show they trust themselves, and not God, to solve their problems."

"Just like He can make a river flow in a specific direction, surely He can change someone's heart towards us."

"We become angry with the people who are pressuring us, when in reality we are allowing ourselves to be pressured."

"You can buy friends by letting them control you, but you will have to keep them the same way you obtained them."

"What you allow in the beginning of a relationships should be what you can be happy with permanently."

"Once you develop a pattern of pleasing people out of fear, it takes a genuine step of faith to break the pattern."

"The root cause of approval addiction is usually an emotional wound. Jesus can heal you everywhere you hurt."

"Don't let your approval addiction feed someone else's addiction to control."

"Be willing to endure the pain of rejection in order to starve an addiction by not feeding it. The discomfort will lessen each time you refuse to feed the addiction." (i.e. need for approval)

"Run quickly to the Lord, let Him be the one thing you need more than anything else."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So does this resonate with anyone out there?

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think approval addiction is a symptom of co-dependency. Here is a quick message about co-dependency recovery. (I also talk about a controversial article on the same topic here.)

For years I never felt it was a problem, I just felt comfortable with the 'image' of a very caring person, or a very 'sweet' person. I am learning I can be caring and sweet without being addicted to approval. Not an easy road mind you...like perdant said, it is a life-long journey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts