Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! :happy:

I could use some advice on which career I should pick.

What has not been right for me:
  • Pilot - I was probably influenced a lot by my father (who is now a retired pilot) and this was something I wanted to become from along as I can remember until I was around 18 (then I realized that I didn't want to be a military pilot since I don't want to bomb people for a living and commercial aviation seemed boring).
  • Military Officer - Here in Norway we have a 1 year mandatory military service for men. I thought that I'd do something more useful than the normal stuff and got into the Naval NCO school and became a quartermaster/sergeant. After 1 year of being a NCO student I started working at the recruit school for the navy. Really enjoyed the teaching and leadership aspect, but disliked how strict and unfriendly the work environment was
  • Engineer - I needed maths and physics at school in order to become a pilot, and through those subjects I met a lot of people who wanted to become engineers. This fall (2011) I started on Mechanical Engineering (since it seemed creative) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, but quit two months ago since I felt I didn't belong in that field (I prefer working on the big picture and not just a tiny part of a machine and I'm not a huge fan of mathematics or calculating stuff either)

Careers which I am now considering:
  • Architecture - I'm very creative and I love drawing and shaping things. It is also a profession where you work a lot in teams and good inter-personal skills are required. Urban Development (which you can specialize in) also looks really cool and meaningful (you can have a positive impact on society).
  • Industrial Design - Same reasons as architecture. Technology is something that interests me and it would be really cool to work in a field where new things happen all the time.
  • Organization Psychology - I've always been very good with people (reading them and understanding them, giving good advice, communicating, etc) and I find leadership really interesting and fun (I have a lot of experience for my relatively young age through the military and working as a mountain guide in the Norwegian Trekking Organization).

Other information about me:
MBTI: ESFP
Enneagram type: 7 with "balanced" wings between 6 and 8.
Strong Interest Inventory type: Artistic, Social, Enterprising (in that order)

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
[*] Engineer - I needed maths and physics at school in order to become a pilot, and through those subjects I met a lot of people who wanted to become engineers. This fall (2011) I started on Mechanical Engineering (since it seemed creative) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, but quit two months ago since I felt I didn't belong in that field (I prefer working on the big picture and not just a tiny part of a machine and I'm not a huge fan of mathematics or calculating stuff either)
Have you considered Civil?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dude, we're similar in so many ways, I'm amazed. I, too, wanted to be a pilot and engineer, thanks to the influence of my father. None of those worked out.

I'm studying architecture and industrial design right now.

If you're a creative person, then ID is for you. Most importantly, you have to love what you do. In this line of work, you are always working. You pick up an object, then put it down with an idea on how to make it better. In my experience of studying, you get half a second to come up with something creative, and you get to draw until your fingers ache. In other words, unless you really enjoy doing this, it will be quite a pain. You also have to learn about materials.

Any questions, I'll try to answer.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
(I prefer working on the big picture and not just a tiny part of a machine and I'm not a huge fan of mathematics or calculating stuff either)
Well, if you choose architecture, unless you open your own practice, you'll probably do just that in the beginning. Drafting, designing small parts of a project, "proof-reading" works of others. I'm not sure about industrial design, but I believe it's the same thing.

Do you have any experience in the areas you said you were interested in? Any project that you completed or were a part of? How was working on it? It might help you decide.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered Civil?
I gave it a thought back when I was in ME, but I am fairly sure that I won't like it for the same reasons I didn't like ME.

Architecture sounds like a good fit for you, and I'm just saying that based on the information you've given me.
I'm not one myself so I can't give you much sound advice. Why don't you google "what it's like to be an architect?
The descriptions seem fun to me.

Dude, we're similar in so many ways, I'm amazed. I, too, wanted to be a pilot and engineer, thanks to the influence of my father. None of those worked out.

I'm studying architecture and industrial design right now.

If you're a creative person, then ID is for you. Most importantly, you have to love what you do. In this line of work, you are always working. You pick up an object, then put it down with an idea on how to make it better. In my experience of studying, you get half a second to come up with something creative, and you get to draw until your fingers ache. In other words, unless you really enjoy doing this, it will be quite a pain. You also have to learn about materials.

Any questions, I'll try to answer.
Cool that you also thought about pilot and engineering.

Is it possible to study both?

In order to get into the architecture and ID school I want to get into, you have one month to send in your take on these tasks they put up on their website. Been drawing, using photoshop, making models, taking photographs, nonstop for many days now. LOVE IT! Don't mind working much when it is this fun!

Well, if you choose architecture, unless you open your own practice, you'll probably do just that in the beginning. Drafting, designing small parts of a project, "proof-reading" works of others. I'm not sure about industrial design, but I believe it's the same thing.

Do you have any experience in the areas you said you were interested in? Any project that you completed or were a part of? How was working on it? It might help you decide.
Sure there are some things which might be less fun, but as long as you enjoy most if it, then that is the most important.

I draw and use photoshop a lot through (mostly) graphic design. I've gotten a reputation at my uni for being a guy who is good at designing stuff like that, so I've done quite a lot of logos and other stuff for various student organizations. I find it a lot of fun (especially when you see something that you made being used/put in use in the real world).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You can also think from the point of view of where you'll be in 10 years (the peak of most people's careers): In this case, I'd lean toward industrial design because architecture and most psychology fields are a bit on the crowded side.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am going to school to be an Industrial-Organizational psychologist! As far as careers go, it's a largely expanding field. I/O psychologists are in high demand.
However, it is also extremely competitive, and you're going to need to get a graduate degree (preferably a PhD) to go far within the career. I am also not quite sure that the career is exactly what you're imagining. Yes it focuses on people, and it can focus on leadership, but it is about applying psychological principles to the workplace. This doesn't always include leadership. I guess you could work for a leadership based company or start your own, but like I said, it takes a lot of time and a lot of focus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts