Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I don't know about all, although i can tell you i am =)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
A Scanner is a concept dreamt up by Barbara Sher in her self-help book Refuse to Choose!, I believe. She defines it as a type of person who constantly needs to start new projects, and who doesn't fit the western (post-industrial?) ideal of ever being able to have a single calling in life to devote to and specialize in. At best, we're talking about a potential polymath or "Renaissance man", but with a bit of an ENFP twist.

I know I sure fit the definition.

In the end, in her book, she proposes a strategy for focusing the Scanner's energy by documenting his or her ideas in a central location she terms a Daybook (influenced by Da Vinci's notebooks). So far, I'm trying to make my own with a combination of Microsoft One Note and my trusty voice recorder, but, alas, I'm distracted as always. The idea behind this is that the act of recording would keep our many ideas fresh in our mind and at our fingertips so we could keep them moving forward instead of constantly restarting them and getting nowhere.

Read the link I posted in my first sentence to get a better idea. I have a feeling it'll be of interest to most of you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually have an ENTP friend who fits that description as well...maybe it has to do with ENxP's dominant Ne, i actually don't know though.

But yeah, renaissance men are the best. My ENFP friend always talks about generalizing and wanting to do stuff like science and art at the same time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I can definitely identify with this.

Sorry I cannot contribute more than being a yes-man. :(

Reactions: Eye of the Potato

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Yeah. That's me. I think I can do it all and be it all. I want to master everything I'm interested in.

It's nice to know it may be some sort of defect. Court didn't make me feel crappy enough today. :sad:

Lol. Such a sarcastic drama queen ^^^. :tongue:

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I can definitely relate! I keep starting things and never finishing =_= It's driving me mad! I've got a note book to write down ideas, but keep forgetting to do so...I also keep forgetting to wear my glasses XD I got called a jack of all trades and master of none, which I find quite fitting!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I was weird not having a particular dream. I tried to find my dream for so long. I dreamed the impossible dream. Finally I can see I'm just me. Indeed I don't fit into the western workplace, I work below my capabilities (also I have low self esteem) and that's hard.

I have to decide what I'm gonna do with the rest of my life (if that's even possible). I know I have to quit my job and replace it with something else. The key is to be truthful to myself.

Being a scannerperson is a curse and a blessing. I wouldn't change it, I love all the different stuff but it doesn't pay off in the real world.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
what's wrong with being a scanner? since when has being able to succeed in an office environment or continuously follow through on the same things a superior way to be?

scanners- if we understand ourselves and play to our strengths, should have lives to be envied by everyone else. travel the world, do an interesting profession which involves constant change, etc.
teaching and psychology are two brilliant professions which a scanner would excel at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Scanner is a concept dreamt up by Barbara Sher in her self-help book Refuse to Choose!, I believe. She defines it as a type of person who constantly needs to start new projects, and who doesn't fit the western (post-industrial?) ideal of ever being able to have a single calling in life to devote to and specialize in. At best, we're talking about a potential polymath or "Renaissance man", but with a bit of an ENFP twist.

I know I sure fit the definition.

In the end, in her book, she proposes a strategy for focusing the Scanner's energy by documenting his or her ideas in a central location she terms a Daybook (influenced by Da Vinci's notebooks). So far, I'm trying to make my own with a combination of Microsoft One Note and my trusty voice recorder, but, alas, I'm distracted as always. The idea behind this is that the act of recording would keep our many ideas fresh in our mind and at our fingertips so we could keep them moving forward instead of constantly restarting them and getting nowhere.

Read the link I posted in my first sentence to get a better idea. I have a feeling it'll be of interest to most of you.
This is what I meant.
I think I'll read both books; Renaissance men and Refuse to choose (I hope they're bove translated into my language)

What do you mean by 'an EFNP twist'?

The voicerecorder and notebook is a good idea; I always have a ton of little notes; things I wanna google, read about, songs to listen, things to do, things to make, places to visit, things to learn, etc. I have this idea to write on my wall but then I always think about my visitors. In the end; nothing happens or I don't finish it. Don't get me wrong; I do finish projects and courses but I can do so much more!

I'm fond of leonardo da vinci but he is both.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
What do you mean by 'an EFNP twist'?
All I really meant was that the book seemed to parallel the descriptions that most of us are used to reading about ENFPs. As Jjenks said, it probably applies to a lot of ENTP stereotypes too. Really, I think it's just a potential reaction to being Ne-dominant.

Reactions: Helen

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Scanning target 84% complete...

I think I'm probably one since I always want to try everything and can't stick to any of it. D:

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
A scanner? Me? I'll let you guys decide:

At 16 I started college. Less than a year later I dropped out and got a job because I wasn't interested in studying. First I worked in an automotive shop, but then decided it wasn't for me. I then decided that I'd be best placed in an office environment, so at 17 I got a work placement as a trainee business administrator.

By 18, I decided I wanted to work in transport so I moved across to that, having recently qualified as a business administrator (read: office shitshifter). At 19, I decided I was bored of an office environment so I quit my job and went working in a warehouse because I believed that the mentally easy but physically demanding work would fulfil me to some extent.

After only 6 weeks of this, I decided that I wanted to have more success with material things, so I started going for interviews in IT. Fortunately the first one I went for accepted me, so at 20 I began working within IT on the education side of things.

At 22, I decided I wanted to get out of education and go into industry. I went for interviews etc and got offered a trainee consultant post down in Oxford, which is quite a way down south! Unfortunately, by this time I'd decided that I didn't want to work in IT and had pretty much hit a brick wall.

I'm now 25 and still in IT, though I am studying Psychology and hope to take that all the way to doctorate level. Eventually. I'm also trying to get a job in travel; the discounted holidays would be hugely beneficial to my insatiable desire to see the world.

Recently, I tried learning French and actually started to get the basics. Then I decided German would probably be better in the long run so started studying that... then decided that writing a book would be a better idea. I got a couple of chapters in and decided that instead of writing, I'd brush up on my art skills so I drew a couple of pictures. Then I decided that it'd be better to focus on music creation; that was almost immediately overshadowed by a desire to master photography. Thankfully, I stuck with that for a while (bloody good job seeing as I've spend thousands on equipment!)

I took up Muay Thai the other week and really enjoyed it. I've stopped going and decided that the gym and boxing would probably be better.

My shelves are full of books that have only been opened once or twice, DVDs that have never been watched and music CDs that I bought years ago and never listened to.

What do you think? :tongue:

:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought I was weird not having a particular dream. I tried to find my dream for so long. I dreamed the impossible dream. Finally I can see I'm just me. Indeed I don't fit into the western workplace, [I work below my capabilities (also I have low self esteem) and that's hard].

I have to decide what I'm gonna do with the rest of my life (if that's even possible). I know I have to quit my job and replace it with something else. The key is to be truthful to myself.

Being a scannerperson is a curse and a blessing. I wouldn't change it, I love all the different stuff but it doesn't pay off in the real world.
I feel this way too, [except for the part in brackets]. Too bad we can't make real $ from being scanners. Most of the world doesn't get us. Most of how they live doesn't fit how I'm wired. Still looking for a niche that doesn't exist? maybe....

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
I feel this way too, [except for the part in brackets]. Too bad we can't make real $ from being scanners. Most of the world doesn't get us. Most of how they live doesn't fit how I'm wired. Still looking for a niche that doesn't exist? maybe....
I think the real problem is that money is seen as being more important than being useful. If you can't make money from doing something, although worthwhile, we lead ourselves to believe that our endevour is useless. I think as an enfp, I would get more satisfaction out of doing something that will have a positive impact on the world than earning lots of money.

I read of a couple who grew weed and used it as a form of barter. When they needed odd jobs done they paid the people with weed. They grew all their own vegetables and had a few chickens I think. They were caught with a sizeable number of plants but the judge only gave them a slap on the wrists, since they weren't actually profitting from it. They are my heroes!

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
I thought I was weird not having a particular dream. I tried to find my dream for so long. I dreamed the impossible dream. Finally I can see I'm just me. Indeed I don't fit into the western workplace, I work below my capabilities (also I have low self esteem) and that's hard.

If you're suffering from low self esteem, my advice to you would be to focus on the beauty of the people around you (inner beauty, mainly) by doing this, you take the focus off yourself and you can engage with people more, and recognising when they are in need. I suffered from low self esteem myself and this worked for me. Just by practicing this kind of gratitude, your self esteem automatically increases, you start liking yourself more. I found that it was a viscious circle for me, I would be down on myself and then because I was being so self absorbed it would cause me to be even more down on myself for being so self absorbed.

Reactions: Helen and wyndmere8

·
Registered
764 Posts
This is me in a nutshell. Forever chasing one thing after the other. It is such a torment for me sometimesbecause everyone I know basically has their life path cemented down, they all know what they want to do and they are consistent about it. I have always envied people who knew exactly what they wanted to do with their life.

I always think I do but I always manage to change my mind at the last minute. A lot of cool experiences come out of it but there is always a since of dread in the back of my mind due to my inconsistent nature.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
This is me in a nutshell. Forever chasing one thing after the other. It is such a torment for me sometimesbecause everyone I know basically has their life path cemented down, they all know what they want to do and they are consistent about it. I have always envied people who knew exactly what they wanted to do with their life.

I always think I do but I always manage to change my mind at the last minute. A lot of cool experiences come out of it but there is always a since of dread in the back of my mind due to my inconsistent nature.
I feel that same sense of dread too. I suppose it comes down to the whole fear of commitment thing. I hate to be tied down and have my future already mapped out for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts