Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all INFJs creative? Based on the profiles, its seems that Ns have a certain amount of innate creativity, especially NFs. (not that Sensors don't.) Is every INFJ creative? How would you define creativity?

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I suppose creative can be defined as expressing something that is internal through external means...

For example if I have an idea or image in my head I will externalise it through writing, drawing or through music.

A gardener may have a particular image in their mind of how they would like their garden to look and they do this through planting specific plants etc.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't think that NFs are innately more creative than NT. I don't know why that would be. There are some NFs who will say they lack creativity altogether. I don't even know if it'd be something innately 'intuitive'.
I think that people usually think of art or writing when they think of creativity, but the best thing about creativity is that it's truly limitless. Or atleast as limitless as you or the world choose to make it. Creativity is used in theories, ideas, experiments, sentences, science, architecture, movements, and everything, basically.

·
Registered
169 Posts
for me it's about having a different perspective. It's about having a point of view, which could be an idea. Everybody has a more or less different point of view from others, as such everybody owns creativity. Without creativity one would not be able to survive. One would not be able to use, adapt to or change the environment. Some people just do this to a higher extend than others.

I believe its spring lies within Ne and Ni. The other functions are certainly needed, but these are the keys. They hand out the framework by which means the other functions are able to build, express what ever surges out of the flow of creativity.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I actually don't consider myself to be very creative at all; its something I have been struggling with recently. I think that as an INFJ I don't really understand my own thoughts and feelings very well and as a result my creativity is lacking because it is so difficult for me to know when what I am thinking has any validity to it.

I don't know if creativity is necessarily a personality trait innate in a specific type, I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses in certain areas regarding creativity.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think I am pretty creative... I have a lot going on in my head and I find it cathartic to express it through various mediums - writing, drawing, painting, etc.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
In school I always prefered to have the least amount of instructions as possible on a creative project.

My work is always better if I can do it by my own rules. I have never had writer's block, and I don't think I ever will. I never run out of ideas. They fly at me out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
In my experiences, I've noticed creativity maybe manifests in different forms..

For example I can make connections with some ESFJ types in my art lessons, maybe it's extraverted feeling.. even introverted sensing.. The way you give feeling to something material or maybe a colour or material will have a meaning for the person. It is all powered by emotion

And on another side, in some designers I know about, there is a, rather intellectual(?) side. They are more technique based, and they find endless ways to use the same idea to create different things, different variations.

I have noticed I use both and I have a hard time to use just one or the other. I am after new knowledge, but at the same time I need feeling and meaning. My enneagram is also 4 w 5 or 5w4.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do not know whether or not I am creative, but I do feel compelled to create. This generally manifests itself through writing, which, like Gracie, has a cathartic effect, especially if I share it. I have dabbled in drawing, but I am not terribly good at it, preferring instead to attempt to paint a scene with words. I am very much into description, though I think that I often overdo it. I have been working as a volunteer on an online project for a few years, and I used to ask myself each day, "What have I created today?" Just lately, I am nore apt to ask myself, "Should I get out of bed today?"

I wish, like Dsv2e, that I did not get bouts of writer's block. How do you keep the ideas flowing? Technique or innate?

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I do not know whether or not I am creative, but I do feel compelled to create. This generally manifests itself through writing, which, like Gracie, has a cathartic effect, especially if I share it. I have dabbled in drawing, but I am not terribly good at it, preferring instead to attempt to paint a scene with words. I am very much into description, though I think that I often overdo it. I have been working as a volunteer on an online project for a few years, and I used to ask myself each day, "What have I created today?" Just lately, I am nore apt to ask myself, "Should I get out of bed today?"

I wish, like Dsv2e, that I did not get bouts of writer's block. How do you keep the ideas flowing? Technique or innate?
Writers block? I wrote about it! Cured me at that time! :happy:

303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually don't consider myself to be very creative at all; its something I have been struggling with recently. I think that as an INFJ I don't really understand my own thoughts and feelings very well and as a result my creativity is lacking because it is so difficult for me to know when what I am thinking has any validity to it.

I don't know if creativity is necessarily a personality trait innate in a specific type, I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses in certain areas regarding creativity.
kinda where I'm at.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Thought this might help. :happy:

cre·a·tive (kr-tv)
adj.
1. Having the ability or power to create: Human beings are creative animals.
2. Productive; creating.
3. Characterized by originality and expressiveness; imaginative: creative writing.
n.
One who displays productive originality: the creatives in the advertising department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cre·ative·ly adv.
crea·tivi·ty (--t), cre·ative·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

creative [kriːˈeɪtɪv]
adj
1. having the ability to create
2. characterized by originality of thought; having or showing imagination a creative mind
3. designed to or tending to stimulate the imagination creative toys
4. characterized by sophisticated bending of the rules or conventions creative accounting
n
(Business / Marketing) a creative person, esp one who devises advertising campaigns
creatively adv
creativeness n
creativity n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ThesaurusLegend: / Synonyms / Related Words / Antonyms
Adj. 1. creative - having the ability or power to create; "a creative imagination"
I originative
I original - being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of; "a truly original approach"; "with original music"; "an original mind"
I productive - producing or capable of producing (especially abundantly); "productive farmland"; "his productive years"; "a productive collaboration"
I uncreative - not creative; "an uncreative imagination"
2. creative - promoting construction or creation; "creative work"
I constructive - constructing or tending to construct or improve or promote development; "constructive criticism"; "a constructive attitude";
I "a constructive philosophy"; "constructive permission"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
creative
I adjective imaginative, gifted, artistic, inventive, original, inspired, clever, productive, fertile, ingenious, visionary Like many creative people, he was never satisfied.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gahhhh I just wrote a thesis on this!

Everyone is creative.
But its mainly down to N's and P's
when it comes to visual expressions.

If you check out how the MBTI functions are mapped across the brain
it would give you an idea.

But it still leads to the same things

Creativity is nothing in itself, Everyone was born with an ability to 'create'
so please....

·
Retard
16,329 Posts

Terror(yes it is)sonneT wiThin my sonneT(noT a sonneT)

i crawl to what you are
i humbly submiT to Us
i bend over in pain
my Tears drop like sTale Honey
i canT breaThe anymore
i place the Tiny monsTer
in my verTical cuTs of LoVe
he crawls in hungry
yes,you can eaT whaT is lefT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts