Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.

I have read in this forum that you other INFPs dislike the fact that the person you interact with rubs off on you - positively or negatively.

After some analysis this must be attributed to your two main functions Fi and Ne. They run in kind of a feedback loop. The minor functions are also part of this but to a lesser extent.

Fi is your value set. In contrast to Ti, Fi is fluid. Ever changing. Somebody insulted you? They are on the ignore list. Somebody being helpful, are on the nice person list.

The same person can go from one list to the other several times per day on a good day. =)

Ne is basically a way of finding ways to react to current circumstances. Subconsciously.

The loop goes like this:

Something happens, Fi values it. Ne hints for an evasive path. Path is followed, how we got here is unclear, since it's subconscious. Fi evaluates new position, Ne points out new path etc.

Si can help remember if we were here before and how previous decisions turned out. Te can help to filter Ne's selections in real time to bring some order and predictability to the path finding.

So since both main functions kind of work in the right brain's domain which is not necessarily logical, we do things in a very flexible, intuitive manner adapting to the current situation.

But since we are introverted it's more passive instead of active like for example an ENTP, ESTJ, ESFP, or ESTP would behave. So we are like reflections of our surroundings. Passive instead of active. Stealth fighters? Chameleons? Any other metaphors?

And the final question is. What is this good for? Counseling and analyzing other people for sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's good for fitting in, I think. I find myself able to mirror the personality/mood of those around me, which helps them trust me more. That sounds devious when I put it like that, but it's not like I'm trying to figure out how to get people to trust me - they just automatically do.

Also I think it helps us stay calm in a crisis situation. It's like my senses focus and I know exactly what to do when everyone else is freaking out. I don't hesitate or waffle back and forth or panic in a crisis like a lot of people do.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's good for fitting in, I think. I find myself able to mirror the personality/mood of those around me, which helps them trust me more. That sounds devious when I put it like that, but it's not like I'm trying to figure out how to get people to trust me - they just automatically do.

Also I think it helps us stay calm in a crisis situation. It's like my senses focus and I know exactly what to do when everyone else is freaking out. I don't hesitate or waffle back and forth or panic in a crisis like a lot of people do.
Interesting approach. Thanks. Can you give an example for a crisis situation?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Interesting approach. Thanks. Can you give an example for a crisis situation?
I can give one, last year my town got hit by a tornado. At first, i wanted to check my workplace to see if everybody was okay but was turned back. I use my cell to contact my father (none of my family lives in town) to let him know that I was okay. I am very restless so I decided I would walk around and see the damage myself. Not a big example I know, but it's all I got.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts