Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of lovely INTPs (some of my best friends ever), and I've noticed many similarities between them all, but there is one that constantly reappears. You guys can never seem to go in the right direction!

I don't wish to overgeneralize, but just wondering if this is a universal thing. Any thoughts? :tongue:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do have problems with that, yes, although now I started driving, it's getting better. Still, I didn't know some roads I've done thousands of times when I was little, like to my grandma and stuff. All hail smartphones with their gps.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm generally pretty bad at finding my way around things. I'm OK if I've been someplace before, but I'm hopeless with direction, and can't take directions to a place from other people to save my life (especially not that infernal GPS lady). I'm also OK if it's me doing the driving; if I'm riding with someone else, I usually don't pay attention to my surroundings, so if someone says "this particular location is next to the gas station of X street," I'll probably go, "huh?" My attitude is usually, "I'll figure it out," but it takes me a while longer than most to get my bearings. Yeah, I'm hopeless, people make fun of me for it all the time.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well this INTP is. I've gotten lost so many times at my high school (I'm a freshman this year, so it's been kind of hard). I keep on going the wrong way in the hallways, and it doesn't help that I'm dehydrated and that I get bad head rushes frequently, so I basically can't think for the first ten seconds I'm out of class.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes, but theres a reason

To answer your question; yes i have a horrible sense of direction. I also dont notice many things that my sensor friends can. The reason for this is that oftentimes when im driving, i get lost in thought and essentially go into "auto pilot" mode. If its a place i always go to like work or home, i can do it without thinking. However, if im with my cousin and hes like ok lets go to such and such place. I respond with a confused look on my face. He then says its on such and such intersection. I guess he can see the gears turning in my head cuz oftentimes he'll just start giving me directions

So basically i live in my own world in my head. U know u got it bad when the world in ur mind feels real and the real world feels like a dream. Kinda like the matrix

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I know people that can tell me exactly what direction I'm facing. I think they're really just witches.... I should burn them to check.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I can't deny that I am retardedly directionally challenged. This has also (amusingly) been pointed out to me by an INTJ in particular and is a running joke among my friends.
I also can't give people directions to save my life. I'm just like "There's a mailbox somewhere. Go past that. I think it's green."

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Haha, I'm so bad at giving directions that most people look at me confusedly and I have to say, "here, let me show you."

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
"Go that way"
"What way?"
*looks at hands(making a "L" of course* "Uh, left! The you'll go the other way & then that way again"

·
Registered
249 Posts
My sense of direction stinks. If everyone else is relying on me to know where to go then we're all screwed.

Reactions: livicote

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I suck at getting around in new places, but once I've learned the major roads and intersections I'm good. If I get lost I know I can just go NW or something to get to a loop, or highway

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
My sense of direction has improved over the years, I've made a conscious effort to improve it. I often correct other people on their sense of direction (where it matters).

It originated from Js laughing at me because I didn't have a concept of where North, East, West, South were. I only realized this was important when trying to plan to be in a certain location at sunrise and started to understand I was out of touch with the sun's movements.

I make an effort to notice the details of what's around me, including architecture (which in turn contributed to building a sense of direction), people, their dress and the way they move. This is born out of a desire to know where things are at and if I'm safe. I noticed that when I started increasing my awareness of these things that my sense of direction also improved.

When a place is unfamiliar to me, I use GPS. That evens up the ground enough and leaves the brain mostly able to focus on other things. When a place is familiar I often remember small details, however when it's not I can get lost without very explicit directions.

Travelling also really increased my sense of direction. In going to unfamiliar places and needing to remember lists of locations or spend hours getting lost, well, getting lost is often but not always what's needed. This increased the motivation to know where I was going and it was really very satisfying.

Vague directions often annoy me.

Reactions: justanother

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've been living in the same city my whole life, and the general geography of it makes it incredibly easy to tell which direction is east, west, south, and north when I'm outside because of the huge mountains along the eastern side of the city, but if I'm indoors, I have no clue what direction I'm facing.

When I'm at school, (sophomore in highschool) I will start daydreaming while walking from class to class and I end up walking past the point I need to go and on towards the other end of the school, and then I stop myself and slowly go "o_O where am I? Where was I going? Oh.... yeah...." and then start walking back and make a conscious effort to focus on where I'm going.

I'm horrible at giving directions. My friend: "How do I get to this room?" me: "Uh... go that way *points* it's in that general direction I think, it's around there somewhere, through the doors." Mix that with a bunch of vague responses and I've become responsible for getting my friend as lost as I am.

I've lived in my city for my whole life as I said, and I still know it's possible for me to get lost, and it's not even that big of a city. I'm a bit reluctant to start driving, because I know if I start going off on tangents in my head, then I'll end up driving somewhere that I had no intention of going.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I only have a sense of direction if I'm alone, because then I HAVE to pay attention. Otherwise, I just follow everyone else and completely ignore my surroundings. XD That's why I never knew the route to school until I was around 15... I am now 16 and have gone to the same school since kindergarten (our schools are all right next to each other)... hee hee

·
Registered
393 Posts
Like many other people in the thread, my sense of direction is entirely non-existent unless I am purposely paying attention to my surroundings. I once became hopelessly lost walking from my house to a gas station literally three blocks away.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts