Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an ISTP friend I've known for five years, and I've learned a couple very basic, important things about him:

1.) He is of simple wants and desires.

2.) He cannot be trusted. No matter how pure he WANTS his intentions to be, they are never pure. It is ridiculous how deceitful and manipulative he will be to have his cake and eat it too. When all he has to do is just tell me the truth and I'll accept it, like I've accepted and dealt with his tricky, dirty ways of getting what he wants.

3.) When he is uncomfortable talking about something that is happening, he simply pretends it never happened! And hurts people's feelings by doing so. And could really just care less.

4.) He never knows what he wants. I've come to learn that when he wants something, he wants it THEN. Not later, not yesterday, THEN. The only way to deal with him is to take him day by day.

5.) He describes himself as having periods of 'moodiness'. I think these 'moods' come from holding all of his feelings in and neglecting them rather than dealing with them. He pretty much goes from the most calm, collective person I've ever known, to the most vulnerable piece of mush!

Now tell me, is this typical behavior for an ISTP?!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Have an ISTP friend I've known for five years, and I've learned a couple very basic, important things about him:
As to your last question, I just tell how well these things fit me, and maybe someone else does, too, and then you can calculate out the typicality.

Usually I just want something that I am not having right now but not knowing what could be it. It's usually something simple, though, as "do something new and interesting".

2.) He cannot be trusted. No matter how pure he WANTS his intentions to be, they are never pure. It is ridiculous how deceitful and manipulative he will be to have his cake and eat it too. When all he has to do is just tell me the truth and I'll accept it, like I've accepted and dealt with his tricky, dirty ways of getting what he wants.
No. I don't fake or manipulate. It's too much effort and I am lazy.

3.) When he is uncomfortable talking about something that is happening, he simply pretends it never happened! And hurts people's feelings by doing so. And could really just care less.
I don't know. Do you mean something he knows that is happening or something you think is happening but he does not? (As in "relationship going bad" kind of stuff that people can have different beliefs of?)

4.) He never knows what he wants. I've come to learn that when he wants something, he wants it THEN. Not later, not yesterday, THEN. The only way to deal with him is to take him day by day.
Yes, day by day is good. How can I know today what I want to do tomorrow?

5.) He describes himself as having periods of 'moodiness'. I think these 'moods' come from holding all of his feelings in and neglecting them rather than dealing with them. He pretty much goes from the most calm, collective person I've ever known, to the most vulnerable piece of mush!
Might be. It's nice to allow oneself a good splash in self-pity every now and then. However, this mainly happens when I am feeling very lonely and bad. I haven't had too many of those after being found by my SO.

Crazy, yes, but maybe not that crazy. See the first comment.

Reactions: Tammy

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
There is no "typical" ISTP behavior. But if you want to get better grasp of what makes ISTPs tick, spend some time reading through all the ISTP threads that discuss relationships.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally he sounds very similar to me. One through four are literally right on. But if you tried to tell me five I would think you were full of shit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know. Do you mean something he knows that is happening or something you think is happening but he does not? (As in "relationship going bad" kind of stuff that people can have different beliefs of?)
For example, over the years we have argued many times, and most of the time it is generally not resolved because he will have an emotional outburst and then completely retreat into himself, so I will just let him go have his time alone to cool off because that's how he deals with things, and when he emerges again nothing is resolved because he pretends like nothing is wrong or ever happened. If I dare bring it up he will just refuse to talk about it by playing dumb.

Reactions: halah

·
Banned
2,155 Posts

I highly doubt I could be friends with a person like this. Also, every type has bad apples in it. No, not all of it is typical.

1.) Agreed, for the most part.
2.) I take immense pride in being trustworthy. Lying makes me nauseous. I have trouble walking the line between being blunt and being tactful, but I'd rather not get something I want than get it undeservedly or underhandedly.
3.) I try not to hurt people's feelings. If I do, it's either by accident or they drew first blood. Also, I'm low on empathy, so it perplexes me sometimes when people can't be as cool-headed and rational as me. It doesn't always mean that I don't care. I just don't know how.
4.) Well, we generally live for the moment, so yeah.
5.) Sounds like mental illness to me.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

1) Yes, I can be very easy to please.

2) I can be a bit sneaky, which might be construed as manipulative. But I'm not sure to what extreme you mean deceitful. I don't much care for lying. Also, My ISTJ sister calls me a creeper. :crazy:

I also have the dubious honor of being an instigator. It's the first big word I ever learned...my mom called me that all the time. I would instigate something with my older brother and sister, push their buttons in just the right way. They would retaliate and get in trouble, and I would get off scott-free.

5) I have my moods, but I don't become mush. Just lethargic.

Reactions: Galldune and Tammy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have the dubious honor of being an instigator. It's the first big word I ever learned...my mom called me that all the time. I would instigate something with my older brother and sister, push their buttons in just the right way. They would retaliate and get in trouble, and I would get off scott-free.
This reminds me of his habits of testing how gulliable people are by making things up to see if they'll believe them. Although I'm not gulliable sometimes I will play along to see where he is going with it. I think that he finds pleasure in having the ability to make people do what he wants, he is very fond of the game Chess. Do you enjoy Chess, Madhatter?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I do. Sometimes I think of relationships as a game of chess. But I don't make things up usually. The only time I remember doing that is when I convinced my INFJ mom that the figure of the Count of Monte Cristo was real. She can be pretty gullible. But I was just pulling her chain, not trying to make her do anything. She thought it was funny.

Reactions: Animal

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
2.) I take immense pride in being trustworthy. Lying makes me nauseous. I have trouble walking the line between being blunt and being tactful, but I'd rather not get something I want than get it undeservedly or underhandedly.
3.) I try not to hurt people's feelings. If I do, it's either by accident or they drew first blood. Also, I'm low on empathy, so it perplexes me sometimes when people can't be as cool-headed and rational as me. It doesn't always mean that I don't care. I just don't know how.
I mirror your list very much.

I was thinking her ISTP friend must really be immature, still a kid, having difficulty growing up, coming to grips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am VERY good at making up answers to questions that I don't know the answer to. I do it for the sole purpose of seeing if people will believe me and I usually explain the whole logic of my answer to ensure the believe me. But if it is made up I ALWAYS tell the person after that I was making it up, usually ending with a comment like "but it sounded right huh?"

On the same note, I am also really good at telling when people are making up there own stories and will almost always call bs.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
For example, over the years we have argued many times, and most of the time it is generally not resolved because he will have an emotional outburst and then completely retreat into himself, so I will just let him go have his time alone to cool off because that's how he deals with things, and when he emerges again nothing is resolved because he pretends like nothing is wrong or ever happened. If I dare bring it up he will just refuse to talk about it by playing dumb.
Ah. Well, I might burst and then cool off, but I am also the one that wants to theoretize and analyze the argument that caused it and find out what happened and why and what people really meant. Once I did it after ten or so years because that was when I figured out what actually had gone wrong.

OktoberSkye had a point there earlier; is this friend of yours really all right in the head department? I automatically read the self-pity-mushiness as the shadow F that can emerge at the times of stress or blueness. It shouldn't be there all the time, though, specially if he's having friends.. Has he always been like this or could there be some kind of depression / stress / whatever syndrome that's eating him?

Edit: .. or that general immaturity AEIOU mentioned?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Ah. Well, I might burst and then cool off, but I am also the one that wants to theoretize and analyze the argument that caused it and find out what happened and why and what people really meant. Once I did it after ten or so years because that was when I figured out what actually had gone wrong.

OktoberSkye had a point there earlier; is this friend of yours really all right in the head department? I automatically read the self-pity-mushiness as the shadow F that can emerge at the times of stress or blueness. It shouldn't be there all the time, though, specially if he's having friends.. Has he always been like this or could there be some kind of depression / stress / whatever syndrome that's eating him?

I too have my bursts of temper, but I will admit that I'm wrong and apologize.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I highly doubt I could be friends with a person like this. Also, every type has bad apples in it. No, not all of it is typical.

5.) Sounds like mental illness to me.
+1

*and some extra characters right here*

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

He isn't moody all the time, just at times he gets moody. Recently he's picked up the wonderful habit (sarcastic) of smoking pot to control his so-called 'moodiness'.

To be honest I think it is a mixture of stress and general immaturity.

I really think he is in a bad place right now, and I suppose that's the reason I posted this to see if he was a little off, because recently he had moved back to the CA from TX because his dad punched him. He hasn't explained to me why his dad punched him and exactly how it resulted in him moving back, but I think it's related to an event concerning a gay male who claims that my ISTP friend has slept with him and used him in order to have a place to live, clothes to wear, and someone to pay for his food. The gay male's outburst resulted because my ISTP friend refused to let him say goodbye to him at the airport or something silly like that.

On top of that I believe that one of his parents is going through a second divorce as well. He called out for comfort from me at the time...but I just couldn't get ahold of him in time and he had already gone into his 'I don't care anymore' mode.

I haven't really gotten the chance to talk to my ISTP friend about this...to be honest I really do not know how to bring it up. He should know by now if he's homosexual that I'll still accept him either way. I think he is just confused. About EVERYTHING.

I think I am just going to just keep my eye on him for a while and not intervine and see how he plays out for a bit...and when he needs help I'll be there.

I was mostly concerned about his behavior because he has asked me to be his roomate, but I think I am going to politely decline...for the sake of my sanity.

I've noticed the general portrait of him I have created isn't exactly the greatest, these are more of his bad traits then good. At best he is very inventive, fun and incredibly charming.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I think I am just going to just keep my eye on him for a while and not intervine and see how he plays out for a bit...and when he needs help I'll be there.
He's lucky to have a friend like you, and I think you have the right idea here.

Reactions: Tammy and Seralya

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Reactions: Tammy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I was thinking maybe he has raging hormones. Does he have a lot of pimples?
Maybe an underlying problem, ADD, ADHD or some other letters of the alphabet?
Every kid has to have letters now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking maybe he has raging hormones. Does he have a lot of pimples?
Maybe an underlying problem, ADD, ADHD or some other letters of the alphabet?
I'm sure if he does it contains every letter of the alphabet.

I blame violent television, video games, and metal music and anything else that can possibly be blammed that isn't poor decision making skills.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts