Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yoooo, I was diagnosed as Bipolar AND Borderline personality I was mistyping as INFJ for awhile.. I'd describe them as being caught on the borderline between the dom & inferior. You just gotta go with your day to day attitudes and behavior aside from when the disorder is acting up..

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
As a Type I, my brain is capable of contorting so that I can relate to every single one of the MBTI types and to a lesser degree E-types depending on my wildly fluctuating mood state.

But I believe deep down, when 100% medicated perfectly, there is a real MBTI type and E-type lurking.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
or are they generally still the same one but act differently
No, they are most definitively not. People who struggle with this disorder don't have two different personalities. Not at all. What you're thinking of sounds more like Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID) which used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder which we still know very little about. Bipolar disorder used to be called manic-depressive disorder which is way more technically correct. It's a mood disorder where someone swings between experiencing manic phases and then crashing into depressive phases. It differs from individual to individual how quickly they switch between phases. It can be weeks or months. Some people experience ultra-rapid cycling.

No matter what the case, they're not different in terms of personality - it's just their mood that is changing and making it extremely difficult to function. It is a severe disorder and can make it very hard to live. That's why generally when someone has bipolar disorder, they'll be prescribed lithium or a cousin of lithium which serves as a mood stabilizer. They're not just given anti-depressants, even though they do struggle with depression and it really does hit them hard when it hits. It's a question of trying to mediate this intense swing and make it more stable.

Not type related - at least as far as is known currently.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, they are most definitively not. People who struggle with this disorder don't have two different personalities. Not at all. What you're thinking of sounds more like Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID) which used to be called Multiple Personality Disorder which we still know very little about. Bipolar disorder used to be called manic-depressive disorder which is way more technically correct. It's a mood disorder where someone swings between experiencing manic phases and then crashing into depressive phases. It differs from individual to individual how quickly they switch between phases. It can be weeks or months. Some people experience ultra-rapid cycling.

No matter what the case, they're not different in terms of personality - it's just their mood that is changing and making it extremely difficult to function. It is a severe disorder and can make it very hard to live. That's why generally when someone has bipolar disorder, they'll be prescribed lithium or a cousin of lithium which serves as a mood stabilizer. They're not just given anti-depressants, even though they do struggle with depression and it really does hit them hard when it hits. It's a question of trying to mediate this intense swing and make it more stable.

Not type related - at least as far as is known currently.
I am actually quite curious about the influence of mood disorders on determining your type. A few people I spoke to seem to think I am an ESFJ...However, my focus on what seems to be "Fe" and "Si" are due to some very unhealthy reasons which I'm not sure are typical of my type. E.g. I used to define my self worth based on how others perceive me (Fe), which I realize contributes to my depression and tumult of issues but is something I still struggle to overcome. In other words, I don't know how to truly "love myself" yet. Furthermore, (low Ti? + Si) I have high self doubt about myself so I am very avoidant of trying "new" things due to fear of failure, although said "new" things do excite me a lot once I come across them (low Ne). I also engage in lots of escapist daydreaming (low Ne?)
Is this supposed to be "normal" for my type? Is this how ESFJ's are? Should I accept that this is who I am naturally, and forever will act this way? Lol

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I am actually quite curious about the influence of mood disorders on determining your type. A few people I spoke to seem to think I am an ESFJ...However, my focus on what seems to be "Fe" and "Si" are due to some very unhealthy reasons which I'm not sure are typical of my type. E.g. I used to define my self worth based on how others perceive me (Fe), which I realize contributes to my depression and tumult of issues but is something I still struggle to overcome. In other words, I don't know how to truly "love myself" yet. Furthermore, (low Ti? + Si) I have high self doubt about myself so I am very avoidant of trying "new" things due to fear of failure, although said "new" things do excite me a lot once I come across them (low Ne). I also engage in lots of escapist daydreaming (low Ne?)
Is this supposed to be "normal" for my type? Is this how ESFJ's are? Should I accept that this is who I am naturally, and forever will act this way? Lol
Well, I think you might see different types maybe express things different ways when it comes to mood disorders, but I don't think it alters the way they take in and sort out information. But it does change your actual thoughts - like having negative intrusive thoughts or grandiose delusions, etc.

I know lots of people who struggle to love themselves and are therefore looking to the people outside of themselves for validation of their self-worth. I do not think this is Fe, but something humans are very naturally prone to - especially when depressed.

FWIW, the ESFJs I know certainly can sometimes doubt their self-worth, just like anyone else. But for the most part present as people with healthy self-confidence in themselves and their identity. I have certainly doubted my self-worth and looked for it in the people outside of myself too. I wonder who doesn't sometimes find themselves in this destructive pattern?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with @Jewl wholeheartedly. According to some people, the additional stress caused by the disorder could bring out shadow functions which may make you seem like a different person, but you are still you no matter what. I am not certain I believe in shadow functions as a rule however.

I think that enneagram would be a better way to view this, as enneagram has a lot to do with mental health and the mind under stress. As a 4, I saw myself disintegrate and pick up the negative qualities of a 2 whenever I was very depressed, but I certainly didn't become a different person. My cognitive preferences at the end of the day are mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know lots of people who struggle to love themselves and are therefore looking to the people outside of themselves for validation of their self-worth. I do not think this is Fe, but something humans are very naturally prone to - especially when depressed.

FWIW, the ESFJs I know certainly can sometimes doubt their self-worth, just like anyone else. But for the most part present as people with healthy self-confidence in themselves and their identity. I have certainly doubted my self-worth and looked for it in the people outside of myself too. I wonder who doesn't sometimes find themselves in this destructive pattern?
Thank you. This is exactly what I've been thinking. I watched some videos online of people who supposedly typed as an ESFJ...and they seemed really happy and confident about their type, and were very certain that's who they were.

Birbsofafeather said:
According to some people, the additional stress caused by the disorder could bring out shadow functions which may make you seem like a different person, but you are still you no matter what. I am not certain I believe in shadow functions as a rule however.

I think that enneagram would be a better way to view this, as enneagram has a lot to do with mental health and the mind under stress. As a 4, I saw myself disintegrate and pick up the negative qualities of a 2 whenever I was very depressed, but I certainly didn't become a different person. My cognitive preferences at the end of the day are mine.
I am also very curious about the so-called "shadow". I read that an unhealthy person would A) be in the grip of their true inferior function, B) be going through a dom-tert loop, and C) become their shadow. Is their shadow the exact opposite of the functions (so in your case, INFP -> ENFJ) or a complete overturn of the functions (INFP -> ESTP)? Also, I think I read somewhere that A and B usually would not last too long; they would more so come at a time of temporary stress, so the "shadow" function is a possibility (although, like you, I have shifty eyes towards the idea).
How did you determine your enneagram? I actually do relate to you in being a "4" and picking up "2" qualities...but I also relate to a few others, such as type 9 and type 6. So yeah, confused overall here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts