Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered how other type perceive career and positions. I know as an ENTJ I am career ambitious but only to an extent that it doesn't interfere with my other obligations such as family and relgion.

I've met many types of people at work.
Some don't seem to care about career,
some prefer not to go higher just because they hate doing managament,
some just don't give a damn due to frustration,
some are just happy-go-lucky are and
some are just so ambitious that work is the only thing they ever talk about.

The thing is, not everybody is ambitious and I've always wondered how other people perceive career as.

Especially the Feeler type (xxFx)..... how do you see career ambitious?
I also notice from that P's don't seem to care much about going to the top.... Maybe because they don't like to be in a managerial position or maybe they just don't care in general. They're just happy with what they have

I don't know. So, I really appreciate any replies!

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
If we aim at something that rests at the pinnacle of a mountain, then we may end somewhere near it. Therefore it is not a problem at all to be ambitious in career advancement.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well, right now I suppose I'm being pretty ambitious shooting for a career as a lawyer/arbitrator, but it's not for the prestige so much as it's for an outlet for my natural ability to make people comfortable, resolve conflicts, argue properly, and research. I'll be fine devoting most of my time to work, but I'm always going to hold true to my values (which will keep me from actually making the big bucks in the end). I definitely won't just be "working to live" though. I've always had the idea that I needed to "live for my work" if I was to be happy. Heck, I might even put work equal to or above family if it came down to it... if it was the right work.

167 Posts
Most everybody around me (those who went to college with me, and some of my colleagues) is. I have always thought that I'm ambitious but recently discovered that I'm not. I only want to be able to love what I do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always thought J's are usually more ambitious....

P's don't seem to care much about goals

·
Registered
447 Posts
IMO, goals are more influenced by T.

I'm somewhat between ISTP and INTP. I don't like "real" management because I'm I and P.
I don't like controlling people or ordering them around. I prefer to give advice or guidance.

I could be ambitious, I used to talk all the time about work or things related to my field of work. If I'm good at something, I would be focused and relentless on it.

These days, you can have a good career without being extroverted or judgemental.
I'm sure there are lots of those who are ambitious but they don't possess the E and J.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO, goals are more influenced by T.

I'm somewhat between ISTP and INTP. I don't like "real" management because I'm I and P.
I don't like controlling people or ordering them around. I prefer to give advice or guidance.

I could be ambitious, I used to talk all the time about work or things related to my field of work. If I'm good at something, I would be focused and relentless on it.

These days, you can have a good career without being extroverted or judgemental.
I'm sure there are lots of those who are ambitious but they don't possess the E and J.
Thx for the reply,

I agree on the career thing. As a matter of fact in Asia, I's will tend to be more career successful

But I don't agree on T's are more into goals... If goals are more of a T, does that mean feelers don't have goals?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just think "Feelers" goals are different.

I value happiness and a sense of purpose above material things.

My ESTJ father often proclaims "you have no ambition!" but this isn't true, I simply measure success differently to him.

He measures it in the size of your house, how much you earn, the car you drive, the clothes you wear...to me that doesn't show success, as it means nothing if you are not happy and feel fulfilled.

I am very ambitious when it comes to realising my dreams, not in relising societie's ideals or measurments of achievment.

I am dyslexic. I have not let this hold me back from doing well in literacy and I have a degree in English and Creative Writing. I have always wanted to write books and be an author. I feel this is pretty ambitious considering I was originally told I would never learn to read or write.

It is what makes me happy though, so I am going for it. (Though my father despairs)

I wish to help dyslexic people in some way, and I am looking into setting up a book review site to help encorage dyslexics to get into literacy. This is a topic that is very importaint to me, so I feel compled to do something to help, and I am very ambitouse with such projects.

I am very goal orientated and like plans, to tick off accomplishments. But I do what I do for myself, and in keeping with my own values, not other peoples.

If I think it is the right thing for me or for others, then I will aim high and work hard for it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just think "Feelers" goals are different.

I value happiness and a sense of purpose above material things.

My ESTJ father often proclaims "you have no ambition!" but this isn't true, I simply measure success differently to him.

He measures it in the size of your house, how much you earn, the car you drive, the clothes you wear...to me that doesn't show success, as it means nothing if you are not happy and feel fulfilled.

I am very ambitious when it comes to realising my dreams, not in relising societie's ideals or measurments of achievment.

I am dyslexic. I have not let this hold me back from doing well in literacy and I have a degree in English and Creative Writing. I have always wanted to write books and be an author. I feel this is pretty ambitious considering I was originally told I would never learn to read or write.

It is what makes me happy though, so I am going for it. (Though my father despairs)

I wish to help dyslexic people in some way, and I am looking into setting up a book review site to help encorage dyslexics to get into literacy. This is a topic that is very importaint to me, so I feel compled to do something to help, and I am very ambitouse with such projects.

I am very goal orientated and like plans, to tick off accomplishments. But I do what I do for myself, and in keeping with my own values, not other peoples.

If I think it is the right thing for me or for others, then I will aim high and work hard for it.

Passion is always followed by success. Your words are inspiring:happy:

So your goals are to help people? Noble indeed. However, I do believe there are negative/arrogant INFJs out there... What would a negative feeler's goal be???

·
Banned
557 Posts
I'm extremely ambitious career-wise as well as position-wise. I'm always dreaming of the time when I can own my own business or be a big-time CEO or manager of a company like Apple. Big-time positions absolutely enthrall me! If I'm not working in some way, then I'm not happy in life. I like work as well as challenges. The idea of business management is absolutely orgasmic to me.

In a nutshell, I'm practically a workaholic or work nazi. :crazy:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm extremely ambitious career-wise as well as position-wise. I'm always dreaming of the time when I can own my own business or be a big-time CEO or manager of a company like Apple. Big-time positions absolutely enthrall me! If I'm not working in some way, then I'm not happy in life. I like work as well as challenges. The idea of business management is absolutely orgasmic to me.

In a nutshell, I'm practically a workaholic or work nazi. :crazy:
ESTJs don't dream (much)... So let me guess... you're an ENTJ right?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Passion is always followed by success. Your words are inspiring:happy:

So your goals are to help people? Noble indeed. However, I do believe there are negative/arrogant INFJs out there... What would a negative feeler's goal be???
That's very difficult for me to answer as my friend is the only other INFJ I know properly. She defiantly isn't arrogant. She wants to be a teacher as she likes children, to write books for her own amusement, and to have children of her own. She wants to do these things so she can be kind and nurturing, and so she will feel happy.

My mum is an ENFJ and her goals focus very much on the family being happy. If I or my brother is sad, so is she...possibly more so than we are. She works in a managerial position, but she would much rather do something like teach, or be a councillor. She does her current job even though the job itself does not make her happy, as the money can be used to improve the families happiness, which gives her a lot of joy. My father is quite materially minded and this pleases him, which pleases her, ect.

I suppose an arrogant or negative feeler would care more about appearances, and being seen to be doing good and to be righteous, rather than acting for the sake of their ideals alone...doing things to be right, rather than because it is right. They might get carried away with their idea of themselves as a martyr figure or do gooder.

Alternatively they might have a perverse sense of what is right or helpful, think they are always right, and possibly have harmful goals as a result.

I think they would always believe what they were doing was in some way helpful, though. Maybe even for the greater good.

An INFJ or ENFJ gone to the dark side is a scary prospect, just look at religious extremists or someone like Hitler. It wont always be as bad as that, but you get the idea.

I think it probably takes the J to make feelers very ambitious though, or to put those ambitions into action more frequently. Ps are far more go with the flow, and less focused on ticking off things on some inner list towards a goal or goals. I’d suspect their values are more general, and put into action as opportunity arises, rather than hunting for opportunities or specific and quantifiable ways to meet values like a J might.

But you would need to ask them. :laughing:

·
Registered
447 Posts
But I don't agree on T's are more into goals... If goals are more of a T, does that mean feelers don't have goals?
I think goals could be made by anyone. What makes us differ to others is how we pursue those goals?

A T will not let personal bias or irrelevant emotional influence to affect the pursuit of goals.

An F is the opposite.

A P will not strictly limit goals to something that's practically attainable within a strict period of time. This personality tend to keep his/her options open to changes. This personality tend to have "impractical" or "unrealistic" goals, but they are still goals.

A J is otherwise.

An S will only pursue goals that he/she could really "sense" with his/her sensing capabilities. This is quite similar to a J.
An Intuitionist is similar to P

Besides that, I think I/E have no effect on this.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I am incredibly motivated and ambitious. I found what I love to do and have built a career upon it. This is what drives me: doing what I love. Also, my continual love of learning coupled with my values causes me to never give up and continually branch out.

I keep my ambitions in balance. I've worked very hard at achieving this in my life. The only way I can stay committed to anything, is to have a full life filled with the things I love doing and with the people I love. If I am too lopsided in one area, everything collapses or I get bored.

Balance. It's all about balance and being well rounded. I've carved out a life where I get paid to do the things I love while having time for myself and the people I love. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am dedicated to a successful life filled with happiness.

Reactions: azrinsani
1 - 15 of 15 Posts