Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice in a lot of conversation, someone will say something about something or some person, giving little context, and people will immediately give an emotional response, without investigating the basic who, what, why sort of facts. Maybe it's my investigative T-side (even though an INFP), but I find they often will jump to conclusions/or make assumptions about a person without even finding out basic facts. I've noticed this in the INFP facebook group and well, in society in general.

Do you think it could be type-related? Like are some types more likely to question/be a little skeptical than others?

Would you say INFPs are often guilty of this, or feelers in general?

How does it intersect with empathy/impartiality/rationality? Can someone be too empathetic in such situations?

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,379 Posts
This entire response will be somewhat ironic, as it will primarily be me making conjecture based off of experience rather than facts.

I would say that INFPs are prone to this sort of thinking because they're 1. very idealistic, and 2. dominantly Fi. If they come across information that holds emotional significance for them and goes along with their ideals, they're going to be reluctant to do any fact-checking. ENFPs aren't really going to have as much of a problem with this because they're dominantly Ne, which is going to make them want to seek out information.

But honestly, you have to watch out for this with any intuitive feelers, my type included. Ns, especially Nis, can trust their intuition too much at times ("This makes sense to me, so it must be true"). An INFJ's function stack is going to make them more likely to seek outside information that confirms their intuitions, but they're going to have a really hard time with someone critiquing their conclusions.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think it depends.

A Te user would be more prone to passing faulty studies off as objective fact, or things they hear from what they "believe" to be a credible source.

A Ti user would be more prone to just assuming something is factual if it makes sense in their head, without seeing if it's actually applicable.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This entire response will be somewhat ironic, as it will primarily be me making conjecture based off of experience rather than facts.

I would say that INFPs are prone to this sort of thinking because they're 1. very idealistic, and 2. dominantly Fi. If they come across information that holds emotional significance for them and goes along with their ideals, they're going to be reluctant to do any fact-checking. ENFPs aren't really going to have as much of a problem with this because they're dominantly Ne, which is going to make them want to seek out information.

But honestly, you have to watch out for this with any intuitive feelers, my type included. Ns, especially Nis, can trust their intuition too much at times ("This makes sense to me, so it must be true"). An INFJ's function stack is going to make them more likely to seek outside information that confirms their intuitions, but they're going to have a really hard time with someone critiquing their conclusions.
Yep, that's what I've observed. They tend to feel first, 'think' second.

And yes, a lot of intuitives over-estimate the accuracy or veracity of their intuition, saying things like 'my intuition is always right' or 'it's usually right'. It's a bit like confirmation bias: they tend to remember instances where it was right, but not wrong. Some might be more on the mark than others, but I find it hard to believe everyone is perfect. I know oftentimes my intuition is wrong. A lot of it also just paranoia. Seeing the 'big picture' one often forgets obviously details, jumps to conclusions.etc.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I don't think it's type related.

I think it's priority related depending on what people are making assumptions about. People who are friends are more likely to accept accounts as facts because they trust that their friend is providing them with accurate information. For others, feelings and emotions constitute as viable facts when it comes to an argument.

In any case, most people make assumptions without knowing facts because people take positions that align with their own moral beliefs and values. And those may not be rooted in any fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts