Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how do you see this topic: are ENTPs able to differentiate between friends and acquitance? And extraverts in general?
Functianalyst: “You have never known extraverts to refer to their friends when they truly did not know the person? I see it all the time and experienced it quite often growing up. I have never come across an extravert who was actually able to make a distinction.” (speaking difference between friends and acquitance. Complete story is at ESTP board under How do you use your Ti).
Nessie:”I could also look at my best ENTP friend, who was dying from laughter from that claim. BTW, he is also making distinction between social and bussiness contacts and don’t refer as to friends his one night stands.”
Functianalyst:”As for ENTPs, that is the extraverting type that I was actually alluding to since I spent meant years on the ENTP.ORG forum where it seemed everyone was a friend and they seemed to be more than willing to indicate someone’s type as a friend until it was discovered they truly did not know the person. So to the contrary, it is the ESTPs in the url I pasted that make this claim, not me.

It’s interesting that you bring up the ENTP, since that is the type I actually had in mind that generally makes the claim of appearing more introverted. I spent many years on the ENTP.org forum where those proposing to be ENTP were claiming friendships that when actuality after a series of questions, it was obvious they did not know the person they were claiming as a friend. It prompted me to ask on several occasions if they were able to discern the difference between friends and acquaintances, because I knew that I could very easily. My inquiry was met with silence. Until I read the description pasted in the url, I passed off my ability to make these distinctions simply as something I do with my Ti. It also made me appreciate that I could not be ENTP.”

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I would like to know how do you see this topic: are ENTPs able to differentiate between friends and acquitance? And extraverts in general?
Yes. Why the hell not?

I have never come across an extravert who was actually able to make a distinction.
I have never come across an Indonesian albino teenager, which doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't get the point.

I spent many years on the ENTP.org forum where those proposing to be ENTP were claiming friendships that when actuality after a series of questions, it was obvious they did not know the person they were claiming as a friend.
What were the questions, anyway?

It prompted me to ask on several occasions if they were able to discern the difference between friends and acquaintances, because I knew that I could very easily. My inquiry was met with silence. Until I read the description pasted in the url, I passed off my ability to make these distinctions simply as something I do with my Ti. It also made me appreciate that I could not be ENTP.
What is the point that the Functianalyst person wanted to make? That ENTPs are in some way inferior? I have friends, I have acquaintances, I can discern the difference. A small sample, especially on the internet, might not reflect the general rule.

Reactions: Nessie

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Why the hell not?

I have never come across an Indonesian albino teenager, which doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't get the point.

What were the questions, anyway?

What is the point that the Functianalyst person wanted to make? That ENTPs are in some way inferior? I have friends, I have acquaintances, I can discern the difference. A small sample, especially on the internet, might not reflect the general rule.
I didnt understand neither what @Functianalist wanted to say. To me it sounded a bit like if he is implying that extraverts are borderline or wtf and imagine relations more intimate that they really are. But most extraverts by my experience dont do this.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
First of all... Jesus, too much blue! My eyes are going to burn out!

As for the question... yes, I'm perfectly capable of differentiating between friends and acquaintances; it might be more difficult to tell, since I'm pretty outgoing regardless of how well I know the people, and people tend to feel as though they've known me for a lot longer than they have. But yeah, I know perfectly well who my friends are, and who my acquaintances are; my friends know who they are, and my acquaintances think they're my friends, but once they become my friends, they can tell the difference.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
it seemed everyone was a friend and they seemed to be more than willing to indicate someone’s type as a friend until it was discovered they truly did not know the person.
This is exactly me. I just..... don't make the distinction.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
How odd.

First of all... Jesus, too much blue! My eyes are going to burn out!

As for the question... yes, I'm perfectly capable of differentiating between friends and acquaintances; it might be more difficult to tell, since I'm pretty outgoing regardless of how well I know the people, and people tend to feel as though they've known me for a lot longer than they have. But yeah, I know perfectly well who my friends are, and who my acquaintances are; my friends know who they are, and my acquaintances think they're my friends, but once they become my friends, they can tell the difference.
Exactly. Other people thinking that they're my friend doesn't make it so, I'm friendly and enjoy being around others so it happens a bit, and referring to someone as a friend flows better than using the term acquaintance or weird person I was talking to.

The uncomfortable spot is when someone claims that you're their best friend and you have to ask them what was your name was again?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I most definitely make a big distinction. Just because I may treat someone nicely, doesn't mean they're my friend. It was well put by the post 2 above me. I have plenty of people who think they're my friends, doesn't mean they are.

Find me this Functionanalyst fool! Strap him down to the "interrogation" table!

Reactions: Psyphon and Nessie

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Functianalyst: “You have never known extraverts to refer to their friends when they truly did not know the person? I see it all the time and experienced it quite often growing up. I have never come across an extravert who was actually able to make a distinction.” (speaking difference between friends and acquitance. Complete story is at ESTP board under How do you use your Ti).
Nessie:”I could also look at my best ENTP friend, who was dying from laughter from that claim. BTW, he is also making distinction between social and bussiness contacts and don’t refer as to friends his one night stands.”
Functianalyst:”As for ENTPs, that is the extraverting type that I was actually alluding to since I spent meant years on the ENTP.ORG forum where it seemed everyone was a friend and they seemed to be more than willing to indicate someone’s type as a friend until it was discovered they truly did not know the person. So to the contrary, it is the ESTPs in the url I pasted that make this claim, not me.

It’s interesting that you bring up the ENTP, since that is the type I actually had in mind that generally makes the claim of appearing more introverted. I spent many years on the ENTP.org forum where those proposing to be ENTP were claiming friendships that when actuality after a series of questions, it was obvious they did not know the person they were claiming as a friend. It prompted me to ask on several occasions if they were able to discern the difference between friends and acquaintances, because I knew that I could very easily. My inquiry was met with silence. Until I read the description pasted in the url, I passed off my ability to make these distinctions simply as something I do with my Ti. It also made me appreciate that I could not be ENTP.”

I also make a large distinction between the two. I have a few more categories than that though. I'd say it's more like.

1) Family (or friends as close as family)
2) Close friends
3) Casual friends
4) Buddies
5) Acquaintances

I also, like lots of the others have a lot of people who consider me a friend of some level, but I don't necessarily hold them at that same level.

I'd say some of the reason we don't always know dumb details about our friend though may be because we don't care if we know or not. Those details (or I think you called it "not knowing them very well") aren't really required for us to place you into a position on our social ladder. I don't care where you work, I don't care what you do, I don't care about your friends and family .... what I care about is that your eyes dart around the room almost as fast as mine do, that when that girl behind you almost spilled her drink you were halfway to catching it before anyone else even noticed what was happening, that you can't keep a stable speech pattern because your brain is to disorganized, that you have a slight tick in your right eye when we talked about living with your parents, and that your hand shakes a bit when you want to change the subject. Any of those other "normal" things that people want to know about other people are just bonus material that will come out eventually, but non of it REALLY matters unless it's relevant to a current situation.

So it's not that we don't know anything about them. It's that we know DIFFERENT things about them. It doesn't make them any less our friends.

Then of coarse there's always the fact that you can get sick of explaining how you rank relationships to people. So when someone asks you just say the word "friend" as a blanket term for everyone you associate with because you know the real answer will rope you into a 20 minute conversation that you don't feel like being in.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The thing is with us (and I assume extraverts more generally), that we often treat every nicely. Some people might take this to mean we're friends, but we're just friendly with most people unless we have a reason not to be.

An entp is your friend friend if they'd answer the door for you in their underwear, and not think twice about it. In fact, I'd wager you;d spot our better freinds by looking at the people we treat worse, because we're less worried about our appearances then. ed- because we're manipulative basatrds and we know we can be lazy then. Ooops, too much info. :blushed:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The thing is with us (and I assume extraverts more generally), that we often treat every nicely. Some people might take this to mean we're friends, but we're just friendly with most people unless we have a reason not to be.

An entp is your friend friend if they'd answer the door for you in their underwear, and not think twice about it. In fact, I'd wager you;d spot our better freinds by looking at the people we treat worse, because we're less worried about our appearances then. ed- because we're manipulative basatrds and we know we can be lazy then. Ooops, too much info. :blushed:
SHHHHHHHHH bell STOP telling secrets (only I can do that) :p

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Well there are friends and then there are "friends". If you want to build better relations with someone, then you want your friends to think of them as your friend, and you don't do that by calling them an "acquaintance" (true as it may be).

·
Registered
197 Posts
So what does it mean when I see my relationship with an ENTP as "friendly acquaintances" and he says we're "good friends"? Does it just mean we get along well, or that he's just overly friendly?

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
So what does it mean when I see my relationship with an ENTP as "friendly acquaintances" and he says we're "good friends"? Does it just mean we get along well, or that he's just overly friendly?
Well, we're reeeeeaaaaally bad with all forms of social media.
For instance, did you know I had a myspace, twitter, and facebook a looong time ago?
I do mean long.
As in people still knew what a myspace was long.
Also, apparently, I have a facebook and skype. Again.

The point? Almost all communication involves social media nowadays, I assume you perceive the relationship as "friendly acquaintances" due to the fact that there's no "chilling out", of any form anywhere. Meaning I had a thought, and it formed into that, thing.

But, let me answer your question.
Yes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We've actually spent a little time together in person. We never text or facebook or anything, so the only time we talk is in person. I know I connect by talking and sharing ideas, and I have no idea how he connects. So the little talking we've done has been great for me. On his end, I don't know why he said that. How do ENTP's get attached to someone?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't feel like I truly have any friends right now.. I feel like most people I talk to are still acquaintances. I wish I was able to have deep relationships with others. It's always been something I've envied about others. I've never truly felt like I've truly had a best friend. People just don't know me, and I don't truly know them. and I don't know how to cross that bridge, but I have to learn, because I don't want to feel this loneliness for all my life. the idea of having a best friend is a titilating fantasy, and the idea of even having a boyfriend just feels so far fetched

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yes. Absolutely. Generally, we don't have many actual meaningful friendships simultaneously and are not happy about it. It's an issue for many of us. I would say it's painfully obvious.

Also, I have friends that I know less about than acquaintances. It doesn't make them not friends. A series of questions won't tell you who is a friend vs. acquaintance. It's more complex than that, and relies on a feeling of understanding more than an acquaintance(lol, punny) with a person's details and statistics. I have friend I haven't talked to in a couple years that are still closer friends than the people I spend most of my days studying with, and I know more about the situation of the people I study with than those friends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts