Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to be beheaded for stereotyping ENTPs for being too sarcastic and (insert entp stereotypes here). I am kind of, not completely, convinced that ENTPs are the class clowns, the eccrntric joker, the sidekick, the jest robot. All i need to know to diminish my one sided perception of the well-liked (or well-detested) entps is whether if there are any entps that dont joke around as much.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
There are subtypes to every type.

I joke... ALOT

and sometimes people don't get the jokes so I pretend I was serious...

which in turn means I lie ALOT

What was my point.

The answer is no.

and yes stereotypes are useful.

I think there's a total of 5 healthy ENTP subtypes, and many more unhealthy ENTP subtypes.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just walking back to my home when I realized that I forgot the main KEY word of this thread: Hyper.

Are ENTPs always hyper? Or are there some chill, relaxed ENTPs that aren't as hyper?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... What? I actually don't know any "hyper" ENTPs, myself included. All the ENTPs I know are more chill, go with the flow. Sure, we'll party, but we can also sit on the back porch talking about life until 5:57 in the morning.
Hyper as in Nardwuar from Youtube..

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm usually joking around except for when I'm not.
Sarcasm? Not so much. I find sarcasm to be malicious, which I don't find to be very funny. Dry humor? Definitely. Slapstick? You betcha. I tried to be the class clown growing up, but even the class clown didn't get my humor :( If I find my surroundings will not receive my humor very well, I'll consider keeping it to myself. For some reason people don't appreciate dead baby jokes over dinner.
I find myself to be fairly chill, with sudden outbursts of positive energy. I'm known to have a giggle fit every other day, and now and again I'm found dancing in the produce aisles. What can I say? I have a lot to be happy about and I like to share it :D Most of the time I'm what Monte described.
I wouldn't use "hyper" to describe my energies, though; such a negative word that I associate with teachers telling parents to give their kids ritalin.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think there's a clear difference between hyper and joking around. You can be chill, but still find something extremely funny at any point in time, and when you start listing off all the things you come off as hyper.

I also agree w/Monty.

As for my temperament goes, I'm really chill most of the time, but if you get me going on something I can go on and on, whether enthusiastically or relaxed. It all really depends, but I have never pictured myself as the class clown.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got arrested this last weekend and rather than throwing a fit like a stupid baby would, I joked around with my arresting officer the whole time. I'm the perfect citizen to them: a cooperative and an entertaining person to arrest, plus I have money to pay all their fines, and I never seem to learn; too refractory and fractious to stay out of trouble to boot. Should I be flattered that the booking officer said he wished everyone was like me? I dunno. The cops would earn an easy living if everyone were like me fo' suresies though.

Oh, and I don't look at all hyper. I have a low monotoned voice and I move in a very efficient manner. Plus I love deadpan humor. But every now and again I go completely insane and just become another person for the hell of it, and that character I take on could be quite energetic.

·
Registered
733 Posts
We're jokers in the mental sense. Play with words, puns, and saying random things is our specialty. If you're thinking "physical joksters" like the kind that flail around, are noisy, and generally makes everyone look at them, then no, we are not. ENTPs are laid back people. If we get excited in our joking then yeah, our speech rate will increase and we will become louder than normal. On the forum it may look like we're jesters jumping up and down sometimes with excitement but what you are seeing is our words, not our bodies.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like jokes with depth, meaning, and connection. Everything else is just a bore.

I only joke around with people that can take the "creepy" or "wild" side of me (which is really me). I let the others swim around in their pools of poop. I do joke a lot but I'm tired of the fake facade of entertaining guests with sexual innuendos and inside jokes. At work, anything is possible but deep down I only know my story.

·
Registered
138 Posts
to me, the best jokes are the ones only i get (or ones that i dont even get) because it makes ppl say WTF

on hyperness, i generally do nothing quite literally but i went to this dance party and i was like "yo imma go all night just for kicks" and people thought i was on cocaine

not sure if they where serious

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All i need to know to diminish my one sided perception of the well-liked (or well-detested) entps is whether if there are any entps that dont joke around as much.
There are. They're called INTPs. :wink:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are. They're called INTPs. :wink:
Yeah, but you're forgetting the Ne and Ni.. I mean, just because ENTPs have Ne as their primary function doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically joking machines, right? If you're an ENTP and use the Ne function, yet still keep the thoughts to yourself, will that make you an INTP? but that'll automatically qualify you as the primary user of the Ni ... which contradicts itself. Ain't that right folks?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah, but you're forgetting the Ne and Ni.. I mean, just because ENTPs have Ne as their primary function doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically joking machines, right? If you're an ENTP and use the Ne function, yet still keep the thoughts to yourself, will that make you an INTP? but that'll automatically qualify you as the primary user of the Ni ... which contradicts itself. Ain't that right folks?
The fuck you talking about?

If you're an INTP, you're a primary user of Ti.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That answers a lot of things... like... a LOTTT of things... then who uses Ni as their primary?

·
Registered
112 Posts
The answer depends on many factors. It depends on the group I am in, sometimes I am more joking and other times I am far more reserved. I have had my head nearly cut off for not taking a situation seriously enough (when I was in a workout group for a time but it got far too serious). They nearly cut my head off for joking all the time and got upset with me for "thinking I was better than everyone else) but, in reality I was just trying to keep the mood light and entertaining. Other times people wonder if I ever joke at all, because when you are talking about intellectual pursuits (something I care about) and jokingly make fun of a topic I have great interest in and I find your explanation or your lack thereof insulting then you will wonder if I am ever any fun. In this case you will wonder if I ever have any fun.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My answer to this would be too complicated to really lay out, so in brief, I'll just say that it depends on the situation and what it calls for to get me the best result.

I feel like charm and humor go a long way with people. In our ultra-techie, increasingly isolated society, charm/charisma is something that not a lot of people have. Thus, it's a workable asset. So although I'd like to say that in a professional setting, I'm super serious, I do throw in jokes or even mild flirting because it's fun for me and because it has a relaxing affect on other people.

In non-professional settings, I do tend to keep things light just because I'm an easy-going person. But I'm not one of those people who's "always on." Or at least I hope not. I can't stand people like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts