Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! I'm working on a research project right now on my personal cultural background through the lens of my personality type, so I might post here several times in the next few days to ask for help clarifying my thoughts. :) What do you think? Are ENTPs irresistibly drawn to MBTI? I took the liberties of checking other forums, and we by no means take the posting crown (ex, see INFPs). Then again, posting doesn't necessarily equate to specific MBTI interest…

If it is a match made in heaven, why?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Hey friends! I'm working on a research project right now on my personal cultural background through the lens of my personality type, so I might post here several times in the next few days to ask for help clarifying my thoughts. :) What do you think? Are ENTPs irresistibly drawn to MBTI? I took the liberties of checking other forums, and we by no means take the posting crown (ex, see INFPs). Then again, posting doesn't necessarily equate to specific MBTI interest…

If it is a match made in heaven, why?
No, ENTPs are obsessed with ENTPs.

·
Registered
721 Posts
No, ENTPs are obsessed with ENTPs.
It's true. I like being able to classify other people, but I'm really only interested in myself.

That said-- I like knowing a lot about myself. And my voice professor would say I like putting myself in little boxes. I like quantifying myself with everything from MBTI to IQ tests to my voice type (the drive that caused my professor to say tell me not to put myself into little boxes. I wanted him to be very specific. Not just tenor, but what *kind* of tenor).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think the thing is that we find typing to be a very effective tool to have in our "bag of tricks". Knowing about the inner workings of ourselves and others has a tendency to compliment our ... ummmm .... "special talents". I mean, not only are we knowledge junkies, but won't we use just about any tools we can get our hands on to further our interests?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think the thing is that we find typing to be a very effective tool to have in our "bag of tricks". Knowing about the inner workings of ourselves and others has a tendency to compliment our ... ummmm .... "special talents". I mean, not only are we knowledge junkies, but won't we use just about any tools we can get our hands on to further our interests?
Yes...I love having tools for situations, physically and psychologically! All of this insight into people's approaches to challenges and decisions is, well, it's really invigorating. I wish I had caught onto it a decade or two sooner...the things I could have done with it!

Regarding the original question...this is definitely the longest amount of time and effort I've ever allocated to analyzing an intricate system...it's also the first time I've ever joined an internet forum as a member.

So, "obsessed" would be an accurate term for me, at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Drawn - yes, irresistibly - no. ENTPs are not that rare, and my ESTJ brother got himself typed before I could ask him to.

I'm drawn to it, and many others may be too, to help me understand myself and how other people work because of all the "you're weird/random/dumb/smart/different" comments I've gotten in life.
Then again, I care about the mechanism and basis for the system, not so much the forums for the sake of chatting, so maybe that's semi-unique.
But in a word, no. I think it's an interesting idea and any NT (especially P's) might really latch onto it.

Reactions: SayMoi

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not really, I'm interested in socionics too

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can ENTPs be consistently anything? :p I joke...but I do drift in and out of this forum - I can go months without thinking about MBTI and personality types and then something or someone will make me want to come back to researching it and talking about it gain some more insight...as the poster above said - its somewhat complimentary to know. :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
ENTP's by definition do not linger on one subject too long, that includes MBTI, we may come and go subjects and this might be one we come back to more often, but to say consistently obsessed with is a little ironic. Now widen it to understanding people or humanity, and that might work out better or maybe that's just my own magnum opus delusion.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I haven't seen ENTPs to be more obsessed than other types.
(There are myriads of INFJs with nothing better to do... TRUST ME...)

But I think you guys do "geek out" (in a good way) about the concept of being able to quantify your quirkiness into four letters that
Spell-Check insists is not a REAL word.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I'm an entp I'm obssessed with mbti for some reason cuz I keep getting different personalities mostly enfj or infj for some reason

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Drawn - yes, irresistibly - no. ENTPs are not that rare, and my ESTJ brother got himself typed before I could ask him to.

I'm drawn to it, and many others may be too, to help me understand myself and how other people work because of all the "you're weird/random/dumb/smart/different" comments I've gotten in life.
Then again, I care about the mechanism and basis for the system, not so much the forums for the sake of chatting, so maybe that's semi-unique.
But in a word, no. I think it's an interesting idea and any NT (especially P's) might really latch onto it.
ENTPs are rarer than ENFPs . ENTP females rarer than ENTP males. ENTP females are a very rare creature. So, I disagree with you on most accounts.

I am, personally a very eccentric person, and always have been. I've never really gotten along with women that well. The only ones I have always been able to get along with immediately and long term (in hindsight) have been ENTPs. Unfortunately, there are very few of them out there and subsequently, women I've been friends with is a very short list. There are more ENTP men though--though still this is a very limited and scattered group of individuals.

My point is, I am rare and that's not because I want to be. I just am different. And it's a fact I've come to accept and I've been figuring out how to deal with it. I didn't want to admit that I was different. I thought I could find a way to fix it and it in. But I've been slowly coming to realize that to do so would require me to fundamentally change who I am. And even if I could do that, why would I? I am what I am.

I guess I'm just irritated by the comment that ENTPs "aren't that rare." How rare? You think they're too abundant? I think they're rare enough to be too rare in my opinion. I'd prefer it if the whole world had more ENTPs. I think this world would be a far better place. That's all I'm saying.

The world would not be necessarily better if there were only ENTPs though. That would be a very strange place. lmao.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
ENTPs are rarer than ENFPs . ENTP females rarer than ENTP males. ENTP females are a very rare creature. So, I disagree with you on most accounts.

I am, personally a very eccentric person, and always have been. I've never really gotten along with women that well. The only ones I have always been able to get along with immediately and long term (in hindsight) have been ENTPs. Unfortunately, there are very few of them out there and subsequently, women I've been friends with is a very short list. There are more ENTP men though--though still this is a very limited and scattered group of individuals.

My point is, I am rare and that's not because I want to be. I just am different. And it's a fact I've come to accept and I've been figuring out how to deal with it. I didn't want to admit that I was different. I thought I could find a way to fix it and it in. But I've been slowly coming to realize that to do so would require me to fundamentally change who I am. And even if I could do that, why would I? I am what I am.

Also, you might be an ENFP.
There's nothing to fix ... just be you.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

I guess I'm just irritated by the comment that ENTPs "aren't that rare." How rare? You think they're too abundant? I think they're rare enough to be too rare in my opinion. I'd prefer it if the whole world had more ENTPs. I think this world would be a far better place. That's all I'm saying.

The world would not be necessarily better if there were only ENTPs though. That would be a very strange place. lmao.
I'm not sure where you get that I may be ENFP (maybe from the high F score), but I can assure you that I am an ENTP. I've toyed with the possibility before of being an ENFP, but it's not truly me. If I want you to type me, I'll invite you to.

My point in saying "ENTP's are not that rare" stems from the fact that the figures I've seen on population distributions for personality types list every type in percents. That means no personality type is distributed at less than 1:99 people. ENTPs are supposed to be 2-3% of the population. That means there are about 300 ENTPs in my small town of 15,000 people. Expand that to the town of 270,000 where I grew up and you could find 8,000 ENTPs there. I've seen comments willy-nilly about how rare ENTPs and especially female ENTPs are, but no numbers to back it up. I believe the figures I saw also showed that ENFPs are rarer than ENTPs, but I could easily mis-remember that. Adding the people you've been friends with adds layer on layer of additional probability changers like income level, geographic location, age, etc. etc, which further decreases the number of female/ENTPs visible to you. This is why anecdotal evidence is so unreliable.

Taken in sample sizes of 30, there may or may not be 1 or possibly 2 ENTPs in that group. That's about the size of most classes of students, though some are smaller and some are larger. I'm not sure of your age, but most people here are under 30, and that means most of their lives were spent in environments made up of units of 30 people day in and day out. Therefore, anyone who is an ENTP was probably the only person in any of their classes and the only one like themselves they ever saw. I went to a k-8 school made up of 120 students for 6 years, so I know all about feeling strange and like I'm the only one around.

I'm at about the same point in accepting myself. Always being told I was different, strange, odd, gifted, whatever made me wonder what was "wrong" with me that I was so different. The answer is nothing. I'm not out to tell you that you're not special or odd, but to tell you that there are many ENTPs alive, though not necessarily visible to you.

I would like it if there were more ENTPs around, because they generally make sense and can be logically reasoned with. I think more NT's in general would be good, but if we were all ENTPs... I imagine endless arguing matches and intermittent functioning of garbage collection services etc. Altough... people would be a lot more interested in being individually competent and maybe that would be a sight to see.

I didn't mean to irritate you with my ENTPs =/= super-rare comment, and obviously I was rankled by your "maybe you're and enFp" comment to me, but I think this was a simple misunderstanding of what I meant. My overall point is that no personality type is found as 1 in every 1,000 or 10,000, and that in a group of 500 people, which exists in even the smallest of cities, there are some of every type to be found.
Also, if you have more resources for population percentages than I've seen, I'd love to see some new ones.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I would say no. My favorite ENTP in the world thinks it's a mess of jacked-up hokey psychobabble. Others I have known will think it's interesting for a while then move on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd say I'm pretty obsessed with MBTI and typing people and fictional characters, but I don't think it's just an ENTP thing. One of my best friends is an ENTP and he was interested in it for a bit then forgot about it and gets annoyed when I bring it up all the time. I have another friend who is an ENFP who was completely obsessed with it for a month and a half after I showed her the personality types. The difference between her obsession and mine was she was doing to so she could understand people from a personal view so she could get to know them better, while I'm interested from a knowledge perspective and see it as another way of objectively understanding those around me. So in short, I don't think ENTP's are immediatly drawn to MBTI and I don't think we are more likely to be interested in it than other types. All depends on the person, not the type.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts