Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know the typical traits an ENTP has so I wont waste your time with those but here are tendencies of sociopaths

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
To clarify Im an ENTP myself and I definitely see some similarities. I apologize if this has been discussed.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There seems to be a confussion between personality types and sociopaths. They are completely different.

I am an INTP and find quite a few similarities in this to me, But i am not a sociopath. There seems to be a common trend, that as soon as a celeb or someone makes a documentary about mental and soical disorders, the amount of people who don't have one but think they do increases like crazy, just because they see some characteristics in what is said.

It doesn't mean your a sociopath, similarities are in every single disorder, because they are qualities that are possible in everyone gone haywire or wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There seems to be a confussion between personality types and sociopaths. They are completely different.

I am an INTP and find quite a few similarities in this to me, But i am not a sociopath. There seems to be a common trend, that as soon as a celeb or someone makes a documentary about mental and soical disorders, the amount of people who don't have one but think they do increases like crazy, just because they see some characteristics in what is said.

It doesn't mean your a sociopath, similarities are in every single disorder, because they are qualities that are possible in everyone gone haywire or wrong.
Minus the incapacity for love Id say a case could be made the ENTPs have all the qualities listed above they seem to coin them differently though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several threads you can search for that discuss this very topic. Basically, ENTPs are the most likely type (supposedly) to be sociopaths, but sociopathy in the clinical sense isn't something one can be one step away from. You are either sociopathic or not.
The what I thought was silly little test regarding personality types is what brought me here. Mine was 12/12/12/68 in terms of the ENTP numbers is that what most ENTPs are like?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Minus the incapacity for love Id say a case could be made the ENTPs have all the qualities listed above they seem to coin them differently though.
you could also argue that INTP's do, minus 1 or 2 of them. Doesn't mean we are sociopaths.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
A lot of this has to do with the maturity and perspective of the individual. One cannot simply look at attributes on a piece of paper to get the whole picture. Why one does something holds just as much importance as the act itself.

The what I thought was silly little test regarding personality types is what brought me here. Mine was 12/12/12/68 in terms of the ENTP numbers is that what most ENTPs are like?
I don't know, but with all online tests, not all variables are accounted for.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
It's funny how this topic keeps coming back up (I remember starting a thread like this a while ago); I'd say the fundamental difference between neurotypicals of any type and sociopaths is the fact that we have the capacity for empathy. Not cognitive empathy, where you can read what people are thinking and feeling based on body language, tone of voice, the situation, and what you know about their personality in general (sociopaths tend to be much better at this than neurotypicals, though us normal people can learn to do it as well), but actual empathy, where the other person's emotions actually affect yours, just on their own. The mind of a sociopath is quite different from the mind of a regular person; behaviourally speaking, and even in the mental process, a regular person can be very similar to a sociopath, but emotionally, we are worlds apart.

But yeah, ExTPs in general would strike me as the types that fit the mold best. I'm pretty sure most ENTPs have questioned if they were sociopaths at some point (and I'm pretty sure we've got a few sociopaths among us here :wink:).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You other ENTPs have trouble with relationships past the 2-3 year mark typically trouble you seem to find yourself causing?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There's a huge difference between someone who has some of those personality traits, and being a sociopath. Personality =/= real sociopathy.

I'm just sick of the overclinicalization..... whatever happened to some of these tendencies being awesome?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a huge difference between someone who has some of those personality traits, and being a sociopath. Personality =/= real sociopathy.

I'm just sick of the overclinicalization..... whatever happened to some of these tendencies being awesome?
Are ENTPs more likely to have ADD as well or again is this mostly just a personality trait.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are ENTPs more likely to have ADD as well or again is this mostly just a personality trait.
ADD is a real gray area...... I'm really not sure to what extent ENTPs are really more likely to actually have it and what is just overdiagnosis. I suspect some of it is overdiagnosis, people just flat out mistaking healthy extraverted intuitive tendencies as something that must be a problem, and projecting their sense that they are off or impaired while downplaying to what extent the individual actually reports impairment. Bottom line is that if the person with ADD tendencies does not actually have significant difficulties linked to the tendencies, there's no real ADD. And even when the two are linked, there's some debate as to whether there is an actual condition or it's simply the parents/schools/businesses problem and they use it as an excuse to be less adaptive. But besides that, I don't doubt that perhaps there is some xNxP tendency toward real ADD, I do have some real problems with attention modulation that go beyond "the expectations of public schooling, blah blah" but that weren't even recognized because my eventual stress response was to lean more passive and withdrawing, which is/was a huge problem for me but not as much for the schools. They're more focused on "curing" the opposite, and along with that it would make sense that they're accidently clinicalizing ENTP kids who are just being themselves.

(All that rambling to say, I'm not sure :tongue: )

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
No,

STFU. :p

I see the same comparisons made with INTPs but we don't fit the more manipulative/conniving aspect.

All of those things are human traits to some degree, when someone goes off the deep end in a very, uh, major way they often have an extreme display of these traits.

But the traits came before the sociopathic behavior and exists in people who aren't sociopaths.

Anyway some of these are similar to xNTPs but with completely different underlying causes.

Reactions: Magnificent Bastard

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts

^ some of these traits are just natural and normal variations of human behavior.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
you could also argue that INTP's do, minus 1 or 2 of them. Doesn't mean we are sociopaths.
Meh, I'm a terrible liar. They would see it written all over my face. Also, INTPs lack the social skill to gain any sort of control over people (generally speaking). We see people just as (or more depending on how you view Ti) objectively, we just care less to do anything about it (or when concerning people, may be incapable).

·
Registered
953 Posts
There are several threads you can search for that discuss this very topic. Basically, ENTPs are the most likely type (supposedly) to be sociopaths, but sociopathy in the clinical sense isn't something one can be one step away from. You are either sociopathic or not.
That's not true. There is a sociopathic spectrum.

ENTPs typically have their own moral code which often isn't in sync with society's moral code, so we may appear sociopathic when placed in situations where our moral code is different.

We are also very good at compartmentalizing, meaning that in situations where others may get emotional we keep a blank facade. This may also lead us to be perceived as sociopathic.

A lot of the traits listed ENTPs commonly posess. It's a trait and should be seen as such.

Sociopaths have no conscience at the far end of the spectrum. At the low end of the spectrum they may find mild feelings of guilt every now and then, but still not what a non-sociopath would experience. All the other traits listed come as a result of having no conscience. If you had no conscience how do you think you would live your life? You would be manipulative, superficially charming, agressive, etc because these are all effective ways of getting what you from people.

When ENTPs posess these traits, they still use them to the moderation that their conscience allows them to.

If anything, ENTPs most closely resemble traits in line with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. But again, there is a difference between NPD and inflated ego. One is clinical and the other provides you with confidence and belief in self where others might not. Narcissism runs on a spectrum as well. I have concluded that for myself that I am close to the upper limits of what would be considered "healthy narcissism", meaning that, when compared to other people,I have an advantage when it comes to self confidence issues, but probably a disadvantage when it comes to forming emotional bonds with people, which I am mostly fine with. If I was forced to choose one I would choose confidence 10 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Meh, I'm a terrible liar. They would see it written all over my face. Also, INTPs lack the social skill to gain any sort of control over people (generally speaking). We see people just as (or more depending on how you view Ti) objectively, we just care less to do anything about it (or when concerning people, may be incapable).
I have found that with experience, manipulation is far too easy on most people. But yes i am incredibly lazy for anything i see as pointless and stupid, and manipulation as just that.

I have quite a few friends that if you didn't know for more than a month or so, the normal person would see as sociopaths, But they are clearly not. It just seems to be such a common problem with mental health disorders and problems, whenever they are shown on TV you get thousands of people who are perfectly healthy seemingly diagnosing themselves wrongly with what they have just seen or read about...because it "sounds right"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts