Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my personal experience with a few ESTJs I know as well as what I've read about ESTJs in a few MBTI books, they strike me as the "busiest" of the MBTI types.

Certainly I think ESTJs are hard workers and value work in their lives. But if seems like this extends beyond just one's job/career.

For example, the ESTJs I know...they always seem to be have to be doing something. They seem to get bored easily if they don't have some activity. They have side projects or hobbies that take some active work, not just something idle.

In addition, when spending time with them, it seems like they would rather be doing something...even if that's playing a game or watching TV. The notion of just sitting down and wasting away some time seems very unappealing to them.

With some friends, when I'm hanging out with them, it seems like we can just sit there and talk. If there's time in between where we're just sitting there and not saying anything, then it's ok and just feels natural. But with the ESTJs I know, they seem to always suggest doing something if that starts to happen.

I know part of this is an introverted/extroverted thing, and I also think that SJs in general feel a need to "do stuff". But as an ISFJ, I think I have more of a need to sit back and relax than ESTJs to...I feel like their lifestyle would just wear me out completely.

And I don't mean to imply that being busy is a bad thing (or even a good thing, necessarily). It's just a difference that I'm trying to get a feel for.

So do you think this is just true for the few ESTJs that I know, or is it more of a general trend that applies to some degree for most ESTJs?

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you'd like to know, we have a thread about our schedules. I suggest you check that out.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you'd like to know, we have a thread about our schedules. I suggest you check that out.

Do you know where it is? I did a search for it and wasn't able to find it.

That does sound helpful, but even some of what I'm referring to goes beyond a schedule. Even in "downtime", the ESTJs I'm thinking of still seem to be pretty active, even if they haven't scheduled anything.

I guess that I do a fair bit of just sitting back and reflecting (and relaxing), which is more idle than productive, even though it's very helpful for me. I was also kind of curious to see if ESTJs feel a need for that too, or if that just makes them restless.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Reactions: teddy564339

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
So do you think this is just true for the few ESTJs that I know, or is it more of a general trend that applies to some degree for most ESTJs?
I like being active and I dislike wasting my time for nothing/useless things.

On the other hand, one of my favorite activities is talking to my friends. I can spend hours talking with my friends in one location. My best record was when I had a conversation with my friend (in my room) about her boyfriends, from 6.30 PM to 4.30 AM. LOL.

The second was when I listening to my ESTP friend's ramblings (also about her boyfriends) from 9 PM to 3 AM, and continued from 7 AM to 12 AM. I also don't like to cut off my friends' stories if they haven't finished talking, so I usually will listen to them until there's nothing else to tell.

I'm a writer. Sometimes I can just sit in total silence for 2-3 hours, staring at my empty coffee cup with blank expression. My family thinks I'm crazy. But actually, at that time I was doing some deep thinking about some things or planning things, and was trying to put my thoughts into words.

So I think it depends on the ESTJ's interest. Some ESTJs love outdoor activities, some just love to talk with friends for hours. But nevertheless, I think most ESTJs love to be active in their own ways.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love being busy. But I always plan some down time too (otherwise I get run down and ill). I do a lot of sport, mainly rugby, train twice a week then games on Sundays. Then I have to fit the gym, cooking for the whole week, German class and visiting my friends the other evenings as well as one evening to chill (stay on the laptop). I rarely watch TV. At week end I try to go out or "DO SOMETHING" (visiting a place I have never been, do something I have never done, or go on dates) I have a diary for the year, and it fills pretty quickly. very few empty spaces. I have to plan rest days(when I am not allowed to leave the house) but sometimes I cheat and invite friends over. :D

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like being active and I dislike wasting my time for nothing/useless things.

So I think it depends on the ESTJ's interest. Some ESTJs love outdoor activities, some just love to talk with friends for hours. But nevertheless, I think most ESTJs love to be active in their own ways.

I think that pretty much answered my question pretty well. ESTJs are generally busier than other types (because they generally hate to be idle) , but what they actually do will vary from ESTJ to ESTJ.

I love being busy. But I always plan some down time too (otherwise I get run down and ill). I do a lot of sport, mainly rugby, train twice a week then games on Sundays. Then I have to fit the gym, cooking for the whole week, German class and visiting my friends the other evenings as well as one evening to chill (stay on the laptop). I rarely watch TV. At week end I try to go out or "DO SOMETHING" (visiting a place I have never been, do something I have never done, or go on dates) I have a diary for the year, and it fills pretty quickly. very few empty spaces. I have to plan rest days(when I am not allowed to leave the house) but sometimes I cheat and invite friends over. :D

I find it fascinating how you have to plan rest time. I've heard other people mention this, not all of them ESTJs. I find it interesting because I generally never have to....I just rest when I feel the need to rest. It generally just comes out naturally, it's not something that I have to schedule.

But I can picture the ESTJs that I'm thinking about having to plan rest time as well, even though they've never mentioned it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
ESTJ does make me think of Stan from American Dad. He's a little busy-body. He could'a been modeled after an ESTJ. To an extent. lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
One of my good friends is an ESTJ. She seems to be frequently busy--often running 5Ks, half-marathons, going to boot camp, taking random classes, and she plays ultimate frisbee and kickball league. She's been absent from frisbee pick-up lately because she's training for a marathon, though she and I have picked up pole dancing classes. Not to mention she does work a full-time job and cook for herself. I don't know where she gets all of this energy from....

·
Registered
245 Posts
My dad is an ESTJ, and you can usually find him cooped up in the living room watching TV, does that count as busy?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dad is an ESTJ, and you can usually find him cooped up in the living room watching TV, does that count as busy?

Not exactly, but it does serve as a reminder that there is a lot of diversity among the people of every type.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not exactly, but it does serve as a reminder that there is a lot of diversity among the people of every type.
As in, not all ESTJ's are hard working right? In quote these are his exact words "I hate work."

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As in, not all ESTJ's are hard working right? In quote these are his exact words "I hate work."
Well, I think you could take any trait that is typically true for any type, and somewhere out there you could find a person of that type where it's not true for.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
My friends consider me a workaholic. Personally, I don't think I work enough.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
One of my good friends is an ESTJ. She seems to be frequently busy--often running 5Ks, half-marathons, going to boot camp, taking random classes, and she plays ultimate frisbee and kickball league. She's been absent from frisbee pick-up lately because she's training for a marathon, though she and I have picked up pole dancing classes. Not to mention she does work a full-time job and cook for herself. I don't know where she gets all of this energy from....
Hee hee. My ESTJ bestie and I train for marathons together. She is incredibly busy because everything she does is scheduled so that her life is more efficient.

Her "down time" is scheduled and she leaves LOTS of room for it. She spends this with her family, because being with her husband and kids is her biggest priority for her. She is probably one of the best moms and wives I've ever seen in motion. A big family and no one gets neglected. She is also "the boss" at work.

Reactions: laikta

·
Registered
283 Posts
Based on my personal experience with a few ESTJs I know as well as what I've read about ESTJs in a few MBTI books, they strike me as the "busiest" of the MBTI types.

Certainly I think ESTJs are hard workers and value work in their lives. But if seems like this extends beyond just one's job/career.

For example, the ESTJs I know...they always seem to be have to be doing something. They seem to get bored easily if they don't have some activity. They have side projects or hobbies that take some active work, not just something idle.

In addition, when spending time with them, it seems like they would rather be doing something...even if that's playing a game or watching TV. The notion of just sitting down and wasting away some time seems very unappealing to them.

With some friends, when I'm hanging out with them, it seems like we can just sit there and talk. If there's time in between where we're just sitting there and not saying anything, then it's ok and just feels natural. But with the ESTJs I know, they seem to always suggest doing something if that starts to happen.

I know part of this is an introverted/extroverted thing, and I also think that SJs in general feel a need to "do stuff". But as an ISFJ, I think I have more of a need to sit back and relax than ESTJs to...I feel like their lifestyle would just wear me out completely.

And I don't mean to imply that being busy is a bad thing (or even a good thing, necessarily). It's just a difference that I'm trying to get a feel for.

My schedule is always full for some reason, and what activities are involve varies from very quiet to very challenging. They are always during weekend or after work. Just simply things like catching up with one or a few friends for dinner or a drink, watching movies, sit and talk or even alone reading books or watch some TV series or even better do nothing and just stay in bed. I am constantly doing something, staying in bed is something. :laughing:

·
Registered
81 Posts

Ah, yes, I can relate to this (and so can my friends LOL)! I need to be engaged in something at all times. Sitting idly may cut it for about 10 minutes or so, but after that the fingers start tapping and the leg starts swinging, and then the inevitable question: "you wanna do something?"

For me, it doesn't have to be a physical "something"; as you pointed out, reading a book or watching TV can suffice. So long as my mind is engaged, I'm good to go. One my mind gets bored, I start looking for something to do...

Reactions: laikta
1 - 20 of 20 Posts