Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Highly Sensitive Person(or HSP) is a person who has a more sensitive nervous system than average, and is more easily overwhelmed in a highly stiumlating environment. Some of the traits of HSPs are:
  • Though some extroverts are HSPs, HSPs tend to be overwhelmed by crowds and loud noises.
  • Good at concentrating.
  • Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working
  • Sensitive to their surroundings
  • Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows
  • Rich and complex inner life
  • Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony
  • Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems
  • Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child
  • Extra sensitive to pain
  • Appreciates nature, music, and fine art
  • Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized
  • Creative, rather than linear thinkers
I suppose these HSP traits can apply to any MBTI type(in fact, I can relate to quite a few of them) but a lot of the traits of HSPs seem to apply to INFJs in particular. Would you agree that INFJs are much more likely to be HSPs, or do you think that MBTI type plays no factor in how likely you are to be a a HSP? Also, please keep in mind that being a HSP in not a mental disorder. Here is a link to some websites containing information about Highly Sensitive persons:
HSP Connections Links- Learn more about the HSP trait

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
A Highly Sensitive Person(or HSP) is a person who has a more sensitive nervous system than average, and is more easily overwhelmed in a highly stiumlating environment.

<snip>

I suppose these HSP traits can apply to any MBTI type(in fact, I can relate to quite a few of them) but a lot of the traits of HSPs seem to apply to INFJs in particular. Would you agree that INFJs are much more likely to be HSPs, or do you think that MBTI type plays no factor in how likely you are to be a a HSP?
My impression is many INFJs are also highly sensitive. And many HSPs will be INFJs. Sorry for the wooly answer! but i don't really know enough to say much more than that.

From The highly sensitive person by Elaine Aron (page 221):

We each have our specialty from among these four "functions" - sensing, intuiting, thinking, and feeling. For HSPs it is often intuition. (Thinking and feeling are both common among HSPs.) However, if you are introverted - as are 70 percent of HSPs - you use your specialty mainly in your inner life.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Though some extroverts are HSPs, HSPs tend to be overwhelmed by crowds and loud noises.

It depends, the only time I really deal with crowds is when I go to the store and I try to get and get what I want then quickly get out of there. With loud noises I listen to a lot of loud music and some things don't bother me too much but some sounds really irritate me like the vaccum cleaner especially when they interfare with what I am doing.

Good at concentrating.

I used to be and sometimes I am really caught up in my own world. It really depends how much I am interested in something and how ditermined I am.

Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working

Pretty much.

Sensitive to their surroundings

I am oblivious but as a result I often get startled easily and get anxious in foreign enviroments.

Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows

Avoid? No, I don't really go out of my way to watch them but I can enjoy them. I'm not bothered by gore though some specific cases make me nauseas.

Rich and complex inner life

That's what they say, it's hard to describe.

Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony

Yes. Well I don't really think of them as being fake rather I try to see what they really are and look at things they don't realise that they are showing.

Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems

Kind of, I try to shut myself off.

Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child

Very according to my mother. I used to read a lot and be in my own world.

Extra sensitive to pain

In what way? I've got thick skin and a masculine build but at the same time I feel week.

Appreciates nature, music, and fine art

Very, unfortunately I can draw due to stupid finger but if I could I would draw and play music all day.

Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized

It's not that I hate having a mess but I like knowing exactly where everything is... organized chaos if you will.

Creative, rather than linear thinkers

Perhaps.

Take that as you will, I dunno how many of these apply to other INFJs.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am an HSP... but
Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows
-> no

prefers to avoid strong emotional shows/movies -> yes

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My mom is quite likely an HSP and she is an INFJ. I can relate to some of those traits listed, and my mom is pretty sure I'm an empath. I've wondered if having a well developed Fe is either related or skewing perception of these traits, but I don't really have any way to test that. Regardless, interesting idea. =]

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
  • Though some extroverts are HSPs, HSPs tend to be overwhelmed by crowds and loud noises.
  • Good at concentrating.
  • Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working
  • Sensitive to their surroundings
  • Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows
  • Rich and complex inner life
  • Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony
  • Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems
  • Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child
  • Extra sensitive to pain
  • Appreciates nature, music, and fine art
  • Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized
  • Creative, rather than linear thinkers
yeah and very afraid of any kind of conflict

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yeah, judging from the list I'm definitely a HSP. I think a lot of NFs are probably HSP, not just INFJs. Have a look around the INFP, ENFJ, and ENFP forum and ask them too. :)

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,470 Posts
Good at concentrating. Well I LIKE concentrating but it's hard for me to concentrate when it's not quiet.
Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working Yes, I hate that but probably just because I'm a private person.
Sensitive to their surroundings Sure, but then who isn't? Not really sure in what way it means.
Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows No, I don't mind violence but seeing an innocent creature harmed breaks my heart.
Rich and complex inner life Typical INFJ stuff.
Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony Once again, typical INFJ stuff (Ni+Fe). Sometimes I am also very gullible though.
Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems Sure
Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child Not just perceived that way, I AM that way.
Extra sensitive to pain Oh gosh, I am the biggest baby when it comes to physical pain.
Appreciates nature, music, and fine art Yes, I'd imagine this is also pretty common though.
Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized Yes, but I attribute this to being a type 1.
Creative, rather than linear thinkers I'm a bit of both.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm INFP and HSP :) so, I could understand how a lot of INFJ's might fall into this since y'all have a relatively strong Se? Correct? Even though I'm Si, I still am HSP, from what I understand its physiological not type related. Any type can be HSP, even an ENTJ.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
God, I hope not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Really? I didn't know it wasn't type related... I'm positive I am an HSP, but I have no idea what MBTI type I am. I was debating between INFP, INFJ, and ISFP earlier... =_= I can never figure it out.

·
Banned
158 Posts
  • Though some extroverts are HSPs, HSPs tend to be overwhelmed by crowds (I feel exceedingly alone in crowds) and loud noises (I can tune these out fairly easily).
  • Good at concentrating.
  • Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working (this is why I don't let anyone watch me draw...)
  • Sensitive to their surroundings (kind of? what does this mean exactly?)
  • Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows (I'm sorry I'm kind of morbid, but I'm very wimpy and nonviolent in person!)
  • Rich and complex inner life (I would like to think this about myself, but...)
  • Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony (I may be a little bit too self-absorbed and withdrawn for this to be completely true)
  • Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems (I cry when other people cry, whether those people are real or not)
  • Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child (Oui!)
  • Extra sensitive to pain (I'm very insensitive to pain for some reason)
  • Appreciates nature, music, and fine art (Yes!)
  • Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized (my desk is always a mess, but everything else is sorted and pristine)
  • Creative, rather than linear thinkers (I think both ways...I think)
I sometimes feel very desensitized to things. I also don't think I'm that easily overwhelmed. I prefer to keep my head on my shoulders...

Reactions: Lady Nurture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Though some extroverts are HSPs, HSPs tend to be overwhelmed by crowds and loud noises.
Especially when it's chaotic. >O<

Good at concentrating.
Everything else seemingly fades out of existence... Unless I have to pee bad. My bladder screams my name LOL

Highly concientious and meticulous, but works less producitively when being watched/scrutinized while they are working.
Down to the tee.

Sensitive to their surroundings.
Yup. I notice anything new/different in the area, immediate detection of changes in the atmosphere, peoples feelings/mood, etc. Easily affects my mood.

Prefers to avoid violent movies and shows.
Sick, twisted stuff like Saw or films that focus on violence, rape, etc. Especially animal cruelty. Unless it's when Baxter gets bunt off the bridge in Anchorman XD

Rich and complex inner life.
I live in a world full of profound fantasy~

Very intuitive and can sense when people are being fake or phony.
Before learning about MBTI, HSP, Overexcitabilities, etc., I always figured I was an empath based on research on why I am able to sense such things.

Very empathetic, and is affected by other peoples' emotions/problems.
Same answer as above. All the same, yes. A certain person would challenge my claim on feeling emotions, which not only hurt me but also astonished them by my dead-on accuracy. Chaotic environments are nightmares.

Have been perceived as shy or introverted by people as a child.
I used to hide from my grandparents. XD I remember in elementary school some chick said "why are you even here?" since I never participated...only observed and enjoyed being around them...Hell, I'd leave my friends at birthdays and go into my room rofl

Extra sensitive to pain.
Physically, not as much anymore because I've learned how to block it out or "become one" with it. Handy for eradicating certain headaches! Though I used to be highly susceptible to physical pain. I've been told that I overreact a lot. Emotional and psychological pain usually bring upon physical ailments. ):

Appreciates nature, music, and fine art.
To the point of bringing me to tears.

Does not like a lot of choas or clutter, and prefers to keep things organized.
Pretty much answered this already. Again, without a doubt.

Creative, rather than linear thinkers.
I'm a lateral thinker X3

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't have the book in front of me, but I know that Elaine Aron does say that introverts, and more specifically introverted intuitives, are most likely to be HSPs. Being that INFJs fall into that category, I'd say, yes. They are.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts