Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I despise art. I only took the required art classes in high school and in college. It was essentially a balance, I was so horrible at art but I excelled in every other subject. By art I don't mean writing(like stories, I love puns and all that) but I mean drawing and all that. I got pretty decent in college when it came to drafting(some basic shapes and visualization skills), but I wasn't really that great in it which I think can be contributed to the utter lack of practice.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do not think it would be fair to assume that all INFJs are drawn to art, though it does seem to be a common interest. I was quite interested in art when I was younger, but have since realized that I am far more drawn to prose as a medium of expression. I would not separate writing from other forms of art. It is all connected.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My INFJ sister-in-law is into drawing and painting, and I know a lot of INFJs are. But, it isn't my medium at all. But, I do have a good eye for photography, and I enjoy interior decorating, etc. Just when it comes to drawing and painting...I struggle to get my hands to create what my mind is envisioning.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I don't know about all INFJ's but as someone who tests as an INFJ I'm into pretty much anything creative.

I would say that most INFJ's are creative in someway and I think this is partly do with them spenidng a lot of time on their own. They have to keep themselves occupied in some way right?

My interests are:

• Drawing/Painting my own arts as well as admiring other people's art
  • Composing and playing my own music as well as doing covers of other people's music and listening to their music
  • Reading and writing
It's a shame that you 'despise' art' that's a very strong choice of word. Do you mean to despise trying to create it yourself or you just despise it in general? Are you creative in any other way?

·
Registered
836 Posts
i appreciate art. not big on creating it though.

my creativity is expressed through: fashion, photography, making homemade cards, cooking, and decorating my house.

not big on drawing (other than doodles while people talk).

i do however love the use of color! and i think i could really get into painting if i really wanted to (maybe someday when i have more money).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I enjoy writing and playing my guitar. My friend Adam painted my picture on my avatar. I do not have talent like his but I like music and literature.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Art (as in drawing) is not my best suit, yet now and then I get the notion. I do doodle often. These pencil ramblings can be quite something indeed, or so I think! I enjoy creating with my hands through many other crafts. I enjoy crafting with children the most. I enjoy photography and do well with it. Catching that moment is a thrill! My strongest creativity comes through words.

Whether or not INFJs are all creative, I will not make that assumption. Being typed as an INFJ, is not all there is to a being. Each and every being is different. Thank goodness for that!

Reactions: LyricalWhip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about all INFJ's but as someone who tests as an INFJ I'm into pretty much anything creative.

I would say that most INFJ's are creative in someway and I think this is partly do with them spenidng a lot of time on their own. They have to keep themselves occupied in some way right?

My interests are:

• Drawing/Painting my own arts as well as admiring other people's art
  • Composing and playing my own music as well as doing covers of other people's music and listening to their music
  • Reading and writing
It's a shame that you 'despise' art' that's a very strong choice of word. Do you mean to despise trying to create it yourself or you just despise it in general? Are you creative in any other way?
I don't like creating it, and when I look at it usually the first thing in my head is "It looks nice", but not much else. I can't say much else when it comes to drawing(such as analysis). When it comes to literature and music I can easily immerse myself in it, but when it comes to paintings and such I just move on.

It probably has something to do with me not doing so well in drawing, but doing well in other subjects. So what ended up happening was that I would focus on other subjects and just ignore any drawing related subjects. In college I had to take some art classes (which I didn't know were actually drawing classes) and those were the only classes I struggled in(so it brings up bad memories)...whereas in math/science I could just learn by reading a book.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I like pencil/charcoal drawing, and I'm interested in trying photography in the future, but that's the limit of my interest for visual arts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I despise art. I only took the required art classes in high school and in college. It was essentially a balance, I was so horrible at art but I excelled in every other subject. By art I don't mean writing(like stories, I love puns and all that) but I mean drawing and all that. I got pretty decent in college when it came to drafting(some basic shapes and visualization skills), but I wasn't really that great in it which I think can be contributed to the utter lack of practice.
Same here, couldn't stand it at school and i'm no good at it, maybe thats why i cant stand it lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like it, but from a young age, drawing and music was drilled out of me. I want to start though. I always have songs and tunes and pictures of awesome and beautiful places I wish I could draw.

I'm actually an IT programmer. I've developed my logic throughout my life, but naturally a strong INFJ.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't draw or paint .I like to write songs ,but not so sure anyone would care to hear them .

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I'm paint and draw as a profession (hopefully it all works out as it should, as everything can only happen as it can). But I am also a writer among other things... I take a page from old time, be a man of many trades -- a jack of all trades, that way your head is always above the water, so to speak. :happy:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i never thought about it much until a few months ago. I took metal art and 3d art so i could graduate high-school...but i chose them because i thought they would be fun.... i like art i just focus my time toward helping people instead. i do draw once and while and i only hear form my friends who can draw that it is amazing. I usually burn out when i draw because i am frustrated that there are noticeable flaws.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't like creating it, and when I look at it usually the first thing in my head is "It looks nice", but not much else. I can't say much else when it comes to drawing(such as analysis). When it comes to literature and music I can easily immerse myself in it, but when it comes to paintings and such I just move on.

It probably has something to do with me not doing so well in drawing, but doing well in other subjects. So what ended up happening was that I would focus on other subjects and just ignore any drawing related subjects. In college I had to take some art classes (which I didn't know were actually drawing classes) and those were the only classes I struggled in(so it brings up bad memories)...whereas in math/science I could just learn by reading a book.
LOL. I'm a lot like this. I don't see much beyond the surface of a painting/ drawing. Books and music are a different story.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I draw, but only character concepts for comic/cartoon ideas I come up with

I failed every high school art class I've ever taken; same holds true for graphic design in college

I don't particularly consider myself an artist, but I have artistic talent

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I draw, but only character concepts for comic/cartoon ideas I come up with

I failed every high school art class I've ever taken; same holds true for graphic design in college

I don't particularly consider myself an artist, but I have artistic talent
So when do we get to see this artistic talent of yours, if we may? If is a mighty big word for two little letters, isn't it. Don't mean to push, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. If it is a no go, please ignore this message. :wink:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I hated art class too at HS... but I love art.

I am not sure about you but I remember being affected by everyone's influence too much. Thinking about, 'the way things should be.' What is good drawing to you? It helped that I was interested in art, I loved to go to museums, libraries to look at those things and learning about History and different creative fields (ie graphic design) it showed me that there are many ways to draw... to make a good picture... So if I don't enjoy one way, I can just find or make up another way

My other main issue was of not being able to come up with what to draw in drawing. And maybe I also think, what's the point? It was great when I discovered how to make clothes.. it was just by accident. It was so easy for me to be creative, ideas came out easily, and in addition to that it was practical/useful since I could wear it. I am definitely more of a design person.

And even so, I still want to be able to draw and paint.. I can do them well enough, technique is not a problem for me and I've always got good marks in those classes. The issue is just with ideas.. Recently I was fiddling around with watercolours to study technique and then on a whim I decide to do some grey scales... and I suddenly grew euphoric doing that (@[email protected];; and I felt this sudden flow of ideas. So maybe there is "meaning" for me in GREY... There is a soul connection to find...

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it means anything one of the only things that I feel like I should do is MAKE something.
& When I say MAKE something, I mean anything that I can do that I can put everything I can't express to other people and call it 'mine'.

I think thats the common ground for us INFJ's, we have this want that kind of feels like a need to make something that can help us develop all these images and feelings that just twist and turn inside our heads.
I just started posting, So i don't really know if you would all agree with me. But from what I've been reading its strange how I don't feel as strange as I used to anymore.
I believe I only know 1 other INFJ, who's my best friend that doesn't even go to my school&I don't see very often.
So usually I tend to feel like I'm too much for people....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts