Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
This pair will most likely thrive due to the infp's willingness to understand the estj...but once the estj takes full advantage of his partner and this realization comes to light it may fall apart. I was married to one, beautiful as long as I supported him in what he wanted, sad but empowering breaking away and paying attention to me :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
We haven't received any single answer from ESTJ point of view! :shocked:
I admire them as person. However there's particular feeling* that it would be difficult internally connect with them, yeah, that is expected. Other than that, I have no issue with them. Their bluntness might be good for INFPs. I have no real evidence though - my dad seems like ESTJ and I actually have some critical issues with him, hardly get along, haha..

... okay, INFPs can also see through the good intention of the action and get over it, but if we choose to confront them frontally, it probably results trust issue in relationship. I am not sure and I can't speak for INFP as general. It's all about preference in its varying degree. It's understandable how difficult it is to see from a view which is total opposite of you - yet that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I think we should quit thinking that certain type can't get along with this type, that's pre-assumption. If things can't work, there's explanation how that might not work, but theory about possibility why it doesn't work can not make things absolutely will never work.

*I read other type' venting thread sometimes and this is one of reasons why 'thinkers' get annoyed with 'feelers', because they feel like this and use it to make judgment/decision.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Dated an INFP once. I think he's unhealthy.

He dumped me.
He wanted me back.
He dumped me again.
He wanted me back.
On and off and on and off like that for more than a year. He drove me crazy.

We truly broke up 3 years ago. I had to blocked his email and his number, because he kept after me.

I don't know how, but he find my new number few weeks ago. So he started to annoy me again.
"Please come back to me."
"I always love you."
"If I can't have you, I'd rather die."

Yeah, right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Core values and life plans are exceedingly different.. the only way I see this working is with an ESTJ man and a INFP woman meeting in church.

I believe my ex was this one. We appeared to have "things" in common but our values were not. His way was very methodical, my way, not. He was very stodgy in everything. He had no insight into anything or at least denied it. Any "insight" i had he dismissed and in the end he said "I was crazy". However, all of my insights came true. Of course, he would deny deny deny. If i said black, he said white. Of course, he denied this and blamed me. Not a good match at all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
These types are obviously complete opposites, so, are they a good match?
INFP living hell.. ESTJs are great, but they do nut understand INFPs for the life of them. I say this because of the countless ESTJ <--> INFP relationships I have actually seen, and they were not too healthy. ESTJs fail to see from the INFPs point of view and remain oblivious to the fact and this makes the INFP very unhappy, thus, they will become overly emotional which inflates the problem even more. I apologize if this is a little brash, but when it comes to INFPs, ESTJs are the least understanding people on the face of the planet..

Quite simply, it wouldn't work too well..

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Roving ENFP, brash, perhaps, but 100% correct, in my opinion. I'm an INFP married to an ESTJ for many years, and it has been very difficult, for the reasons you stated. I come across as overly emotional at times, but it's largely because he simply can't see my point of view and I get all worked up over the fact that he doesn't get it. I'm actually a very calm person and have actual reasons why I do the things I do. But my reasons are often based on feelings, not facts, so he thinks I'm just acting on whims and impulses. It's very difficult to feel connected to someone who really doesn't understand my feelings or point of view.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, let's look at socionics, which has intertype relations. ESTJs are ESTjs or ESTps in socionics. INFPs are INFjs or INFps in socionics. ESTj + INFj or ESTp + INFp = duality, two halves of a whole, the ideal psychological relations. ESTj + INFp or ESTp + INFj = conflicting, two ends of the spectrum, the worst psychological relations. So, either ESTJs and INFPs in MBTI can be best friends, or worst enemies. o_______o

·
Registered
152 Posts
No, I don't think so. I've had some experiences with ESTJs. Totally different personalities. ESTJs like to fight for the sake of fighting, I feel. Think Bill O'reilly. They'll try to challenge you, control you and see how you react.

I, on the other hand, try to be laid back, and I find this sort of thing tiring, especially done in the crass, direct manner ESTJs seem to prefer.

And no, I don't think the argument that it will work because the INFP will adapt to and understand the ESTJ holds much water. I don't get ESTJs. And they don't get me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well, let's look at socionics, which has intertype relations. ESTJs are ESTjs or ESTps in socionics. INFPs are INFjs or INFps in socionics. ESTj + INFj or ESTp + INFp = duality, two halves of a whole, the ideal psychological relations. ESTj + INFp or ESTp + INFj = conflicting, two ends of the spectrum, the worst psychological relations. So, either ESTJs and INFPs in MBTI can be best friends, or worst enemies. o_______o
I hate classing people into their MBTI and blaming the fact that their relationship didn't work soully on their personality. I believe any type can work, so long as they love each other.
With that being said - ESTJ and INFP do encounter a lot of conflict. They are quite dysfunctional together.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hate classing people into their MBTI and blaming the fact that their relationship didn't work soully on their personality. I believe any type can work, so long as they love each other.
Try being close to your socionics conflictor, though...you'll run into TONS of trouble!

1 - 20 of 475 Posts