Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are INFPs just a case of having a general "right brain" preference?

I do realize "right" and "left" brain aren't exactly physiologically accurate but they are used as a generalizations by psychologists to distinguish functional dichotomies of the more emotionally creative mind and the more logically linear. With that said:

iNtuition or abstract, big-picture perceiving is distinctly right brained as opposed to the more concrete, literal Sensing form of perception.

Feeling and emotion is right brained vs. The logically detached left brain.

Perceiving, or the random, scattered association of the creative mind is distinctly right-brained and opposed to judging which is structured, orderly, closure seeking and left brained.

introversion/extroversion is more of a toss up, with there likely being no association. However, a correlation between cultures in warm climate and cultural extroversion has been observed.

My conclusion is that xNFPs have a general, over all preference for what gets called "right brained" thinking.
Please refer to my illustration.
Organism

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Nope.

Left Brain vs. Right: It's a Myth, Research Finds

Only split brain patients are distinctly left or right brained. Everybody else uses both halves of the brain equally. The whole left/right brain myth is just that.....t myth. Same goes with that you only use 10% of your brain. You use all of it, thus you also use both right and left side all the time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.

Only split brain patients are distinctly left or right brained. Everybody else uses both halves of the brain equally. The whole left/right brain myth is just that.....t myth. Same goes with that you only use 10% of your brain. You use all of it, thus you also use both right and left side all the time.
I specified that in the opening sentence. The terms represent several functional dichotomies that could more aptly being generalized as creative/holistic and practical linear and they utilize different areas of the brain...not restricted to a hemisphere, however. That's why I wrote "right brain" in quotations.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As in: big-picture thinking, emotion, creativity and impulsivity get lumped as similar functions

whereas

linear thought, logic, structure and order get lumped together as similar functions

these take place all over the brain but they can still be thought of as functional antonyms.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@morpheusx66 But you still ask whether an INFP is extremely right brained. They aren't. Nobody is. An INFP can be emotional/impulsive/creative ('right' brained) and an INFP can be logical/cold/ordered ('left' brained). One might be a bit better at creative thinking than logical thinking, but one is certainly capable of both.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@morpheusx66 But you still ask whether an INFP is extremely right brained. They aren't. Nobody is. An INFP can be emotional/impulsive/creative ('right' brained) and an INFP can be logical/cold/ordered ('left' brained). One might be a bit better at creative thinking than logical thinking, but one is certainly capable of both.
The point of MBTI is preferences not what you're capable of. The same is true of my example. INFPs merely have a preference for the thought processes that get misnomered as "right brain" (abstract, emotional, perceiving). If they didn't, they would naturally identify as another type.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Nope.

this post made me unreasonably angry. read the first post next time.

The point of MBTI is preferences not what you're capable of. The same is true of my example. INFPs merely have a preference for the thought processes that get misnomered as "right brain" (abstract, emotional, perceiving). If they didn't, they would naturally identify as another type.
i see what you're saying and i agree

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So by "extreme" I merely mean xNFP correlate as the archetypal creative "right brain" as xSTJ correlates as the archetypal "left brain".

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
A lot of young people I meet of different personality types are more archetypal right brain. It is very hard for them to learn mathematics and science. I do not know to what to attribute this phenomenon, perhaps to a lack of proper education in these fields, or to their abilities. Probably, the combination of both. Perhaps, it is cultural. I also wonder is this due to a rather problematic public education system. As an INFP, I never had such a difficult time with math or science. However, I grow up in a different culture and went to very different schools where we practically applied a lot of things that we learned and where these subjects are appreciated more. What is more, they did not attribute to math and science as predominately male subjects that is I think a problem in the U.S. I earned all A's in college in math and science courses. I took plenty. I do not understand why INFPs would not be good at these due to being INFP alone. Plenty of INFPs already expressed that they were good at this. Perhaps they did not like the subjects, but they still got good grades. Consequently, I am bit confused about all of this.

Reactions: yippy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nah, I don't think so.

I mean, I fuckin' LOVE science. Oh god, the deep sea, space, physics — hell, I got a 5 on AP Chemistry. I couldn't do it as a life-long career of course, but it's soooooooo interesting.

I have no problem thinking logically (I always did well in the "hard" sciences), it's just that I can't keep it up for a long time without getting cranky and grumpy.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah, I don't think so.

I mean, I fuckin' LOVE science. Oh god, the deep sea, space, physics — hell, I got a 5 on AP Chemistry. I couldn't do it as a life-long career of course, but it's soooooooo interesting.

I have no problem thinking logically (I always did well in the "hard" sciences), it's just that I can't keep it up for a long time without getting cranky and grumpy.
I REPEAT. Just because you have a preference for one style of thinking doesn't mean you can't excel in another. Intelligent people, whatever their type, usually have well- developed range of skills. Also science, appeals to creative right brained thinking as well as logical, which is why most scientist are NTs. N being right brained and T being left.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I don't have a strong preference for either, perhaps the right side is more evident in me but my tritype and use of Si and Te balances out the strong influences that Fi, Ne and being a core Four leave me with. I'm inclined to dwell into both art and science/math, I have a very emotional core that I can rationally dissect, I trust my own feelings and values above everything else yet I'm also focused on absorbing and analyzing information. My intrapersonal intelligence is absolutely sharp but not necessarily an extreme preference.

Not all INFPs are the same and the stereotype that this cannot be a smart and insightful type is annoying.
Feeler doesn't necessarily imply being unable to control your own feelings when it matters.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I REPEAT. Just because you have a preference for one style of thinking doesn't mean you can't excel in another. Intelligent people, whatever their type, usually have well- developed range of skills. Also science, appeals to creative right brained thinking as well as logical, which is why most scientist are NTs. N being right brained and T being left.
Well, could you please make that clearer in the OP? I usually find that if someone uses a word such as "extreme", there is little room for gray area. Semantics are important especially when discussing something as abstract and ill-defined as "left" and "right" brains. If you're intending to discuss whether or not INFPs prefer a "right-sided" thought process as opposed to the other, instead of debating whether we're radically one way or another, all it needs is a few quick edits.

There's no need to be upset.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I agree with OP that INFPs and ENFPs hit the most of the stereotypical "right brain" attributes more than other types.

NTPs are second runner ups but not 1st place due to their preference for logic over feeling.

I'd say that Sensing-Perceivers of both the T and F variety (the entire Artisan brigade) are third runner ups. They are flexible and childlike with their sense of time but still grounded in taking action on concrete things over toying with ideas.

That's right, I designated all J's - regardless of intuitive and feeling capacity - to last place in the Right-Brain marathon. I feel that even our rare and supposedly psychic INFJ is less right-brained than an ISTP.

STJs would obviously in very last place.

·
Registered
16,027 Posts
Looking at the picture provided in the OP, my preferences are very right brain. And I always read lying down or in a recliner (sort of lying down). Fascinating how they even thought of to ask that -- how do you read, up or down, interesting!

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, I don't think so. I can be quite logical, and I'm definitely an INFP. Math and science were my best subjects in school, and I study geology at university. I do have a more creative approach to these subjects and often find different ways to approach problems. I think geology in particular is a very "creative" science.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
No, I don't think so. I can be quite logical, and I'm definitely an INFP. Math and science were my best subjects in school, and I study geology at university. I do have a more creative approach to these subjects and often find different ways to approach problems. I think geology in particular is a very "creative" science.
Just because you have a preference for a creative/right brain way of thinking doesn't mean you're bad at logic. Logic is usually just a tool we use to find out more interesting things about the world. I find, people who are really left brained do logic problems (like Sudoku) just for the hell of it. I love using logic as well but I don't go that far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just because you have a preference for a creative/right brain way of thinking doesn't mean you're bad at logic. Logic is usually just a tool we use to find out more interesting things about the world. I find, people who are really left brained do logic problems (like Sudoku) just for the hell of it. I love using logic as well but I don't go that far.
That makes sense. I'm not saying that INFPs don't use logic, just that my experience goes against what you initially suggested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.