Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are INFP people more prone to have BPD or bipolar disorder?
How you INFPs feel? Are you more prone to feel disoriented in life than other types...?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe,

but thats a massive question, and if the answer is yes, it also questions the nature of bipolar and how it's seen as an illness,

It could just be considered a personality trait,:unsure:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think we are in general more at risk to be confronted with the whole spectrum ranging from ADD through bipolar through borderline or any combination of those.
I wouldnt be surprised if that range even included increased risk of autism or schizophrenia.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think we are in general more at risk to be confronted with the whole spectrum ranging from ADD through bipolar through borderline or any combination of those.
I wouldnt be surprised if that range even included increased risk of autism or schizophrenia.
Wow. Really...?

I don't think there's a connection between mental illnesses and disorders and personality types. I don't see why any personality type would be more at risk than the others. I've seen this kinda question so many times, it's not even funny.
I think that many xNxPs get diagnosed with ADD, and I think it's more likely to be diagnosed in ENPs. That doesn't mean they actually have it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
please explain?

there is nothing about mbti types that could cause someone to be more at risk for physiological disorders and brain chemistry disorders.

that's like saying the things that what makes INFP people who they are, good or bad, are things like chemical imbalances and irregularities etc. Personality is about preference and is vastly effected by how a person grows up and who they grow up around.

INFP's are not broken by default. they are just as normal as everyone else. it's just that they are a minority and there are certain side effects to the persecution of being a minority.

I don't doubt that INFP's are diagnosed with ADD more often then other people, but does that mean they really have it? or is that maybe just who they are and it appears like ADD to people who aren't NFP's? Ne is a very chaotic function, of course NFP's are going to be seen as more scatterbrained people and thus have people claim that something is wrong with them, but that doesn't mean there is.

·
11,928 Posts
INFP's are not broken by default. they are just as normal as everyone else. it's just that they are a minority and there are certain side effects to the persecution of being a minority.
If being a minority type(I'm not even sure that INFPs would be considered a minority) bothers you, that would seem to imply that the differences in humans can be explained in terms of the 16 MBTI types. They can't be completely explained in those terms. Besides those sixteen types, people possess their own differences.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If being a minority type(I'm not even sure that INFPs would be considered a minority) bothers you, that would seem to imply that the differences in humans can be explained in terms of the 16 MBTI types. They can't be completely explained in those terms. Besides those sixteen types, people possess their own differences.
as an INFP male I am certainly a minority (about 3-5% of the population which is very small compared to other types that make upwards of 10-15% etc). hell, just being an intuitor makes me a minority. there's a 1:4 ratio for intuitors out of the population.

but it's not being a minority that bothers me. i like being unique. it's that a lot of behaviors that are normal for INFP's are seen as abnormal by many people in our society simply because there are very few of us. If INFP's were a majority type, things would be far different and there would be far less INFP's with heavy depression and overall INFP's would be accepted because they wouldn't defy any guidelines of what is "normal" then. Most of the time an INFP's depression can be traced back to them not feeling accepted or feeling like they are broken somehow. I have seen this occur in some form or another in many INFP's here at PerC, myself, and all of my INFP rl friends.

Sure it is something that INFP's can get over, but it sure seems a lot more convenient for other types who don't have to do that.

It isn't the specific personality traits that are persecuted in INFP's, it's the very basic ones that MBTI can measure.

And that doesn't just apply to personality types. all minorities have trouble in some form because there are less of them to have a say in the matter of what is "normal".

So I do think INFP's have a very large tendency to be more borderline then other types, but for external reasons, not internal ones.

·
11,928 Posts
as an INFP male I am certainly a minority. hell, just being an intuitor makes me a minority. but it's not being one that bothers me. i like being unique. it's that a lot of behaviors that are normal for INFP's are seen as abnormal by our society simply because there are very few of us. If INFP's were a majority type, things would be far different and there would be far less INFP's with heavy depression and overall INFP's would be accepted because they wouldn't defy any guidelines of what is "normal" then.

And that doesn't just apply to personality types. all minorities have trouble in some form because there are less of them to have a say in the matter of what is "normal".
Type statistics are shit. I'm not sure that INFPs are a minority. I'm not sure that INFJs or INTJs are. But that doesn't matter. My point is that MBTI doesn't describe your behavior. Therefore, not every INFP will behave in the same way. Some INFPs will be considered normal by general society standards and some won't.
My dad's an ISTJ(statistically considered a majority type, though I still think stats are shit in the way of MBTI) and he has many habits and behaviors that wouldn't be considered normal by societal standards.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Type statistics are shit. I'm not sure that INFPs are a minority. I'm not sure that INFJs or INTJs are. But that doesn't matter. My point is that MBTI doesn't describe your behavior. Therefore, not every INFP will behave in the same way. Some INFPs will be considered normal by general society standards and some won't.
My dad's an ISTJ(statistically considered a majority type, though I still think stats are shit in the way of MBTI) and he has many habits and behaviors that wouldn't be considered normal by societal standards.
I can't possibly discuss this while including specific details about people I don't know. I know there are exceptions, I'm speaking in overall general terms. If INFP's were not a minority then they would not be persecuted as much as they are.

Anyone who has befriended an INFP knows how awesome they can be, but from a first impression standpoint, they can appear rather weird and abnormal.

This behavior would not be seen as abnormal if our society was just not so used to the opposite behavior.

If I were not a minority I wouldn't get weird looks from people when I tell them that I do not value money.

I wouldn't get weird looks from my own father and his friends when I tell him that I am more interested in committed relationships rather than one night stands.

The only reason many of my behaviors are not accepted is because there are not enough people out in the world like me to represent me. Acceptance is a product of normality. Normality is a product of majorities. I have had to bypass the need for both of these to cope in life, but it's difficult.

·
11,928 Posts
Statistics are shit for so many reasons...

How do you know that certain traits of yours have anything to do with being an INFP? How does society honor ideas that are opposite to those of INFPs? How do you know that any of that has anything to do with MBTI?

The only reason many of my behaviors are not accepted is because there are not enough people out in the world like me to represent me. Acceptance is a product of normality. Normality is a product of majorities. I have had to bypass the need for both of these to cope in life, but it's difficult.
Normality is a flawed concept. That's why I don't really pay any attention to it at all. :crazy:
Can you actually tell me that anyone you've ever met has fit society's definition of normal?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
INFP's are outcasts, mainly because we think differently than other types. Look at the forum and how it's filled with threads of feeling different and alone. It's a common trait that many infps share.

Of course the MBTI explains our behavior. If you break down the MBTI, it's a series of questions about our behavior. Sure everyone is different, but INFPs have a lot in common because we basically have the same tendencies. We may not all brush our teeth the same way or have the same taste in music, but what's that have anything to do with it? If we answered the MBTI test honestly, we should all (to varying degrees) like alone time, are very sensitive, care about other peoples feelings, day dream a lot, want to help others, are disorganized, feel socially awkward, are quiet and reserved, etc. because we ALL have the same answers.

Whether or not we really are the minority or not is not really a fair question. Unless I go around and forcefully make everyone around me take the MBTI, I may never know their type. INFP's, however, have this tendency to separate themselves from everyone around them. Put me in a room with a room full of INFPs and hell i'd probably still think i didn't fit in. I think this is due to our lack of connection with others that make us feel like we are the only ones in the world that understand us.

Regarding OP:

I believe INFPs are more prone to extreme mood swings and long stretches of sadness than other types. Anything classified beyond that (professionally) is, i think, irrelevant to personality type. I do, however, think that INFP personality traits fit some mental illness descriptions to a T, which makes us very uneasy when it comes to our own mental stability. For years i thought i had depression when i am just an overal sad person. I also feared that i had A.D.D when I'm just unfocused. Society in general thinks that our thinking habits/behaviors are unhealthy, but usually not to the extent of getting something prescribed (for most of us)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Statistics are shit for so many reasons...

How do you know that certain traits of yours have anything to do with being an INFP? How does society honor ideas that are opposite to those of INFPs? How do you know that any of that has anything to do with MBTI?

Normality is a flawed concept. That's why I don't really pay any attention to it at all. :crazy:
Can you actually tell me that anyone you've ever met has fit society's definition of normal?
INFP's understand the concept of normality, why? Because we feel so out of touch with it. What is the INFP definition of normal? Everything that we're not.

I made a poll a while back on several type forums asking "do you think you are normal?"
Almost all the forums besides the "INFP/J" asked me to "define normal." An infp would never think to ask the OP to define normal in order to answer question, so this here in lies the reason why u can't see things from our point of view.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Personality disorders like borderline (although that is contentious) often go unrecognised by the person with them. They have very little self awareness, and will deny or rationalise away the prospect of having a personality disorder.

Being an IN and especially if you are an enneatype 4 (which many infps' are) can be almost like the an antithesis of BPD, as paradoxical as that can seem, as many of the borderline diagnostic criteria could possibly correlate with infp 4 traits.

I argue that the infp 4 can be the antithesis, because they are very self aware and introspective about themselves. And so have a degree of self knowledge that many other types are not as interested in. They may be obsessed with thoughts that they could be in some way disordered, and will contemplate the things that they think are wrong with them often, and try to find some kind of disorder they think fits. A BPD would probably not do that.
That said, obviously there would have to be BPD infps' out there and the capacity for self awareness they have, would give them an advantage in treatment and recovery.

I live with an exfp with borderline personality, and I would advise the infps' who contemplate that they are borderline, to think seriously about it. It isn't just about moodiness and things that affect the self, some BPD have a Jekyll/Hyde split and are incredibly hard to deal with. BPD spills onto others. and it's like dealing with an emotionally and intellectually abusive estj who has no idea what they are doing.

Both disorders have genetic origins, and given that many infps' may well be highly sensitive people, many things in the environment could "switch" these genes on.
I do not think there is a correlation between personalities and personality disorders apart from what I have mentioned, and something confounding all this, is that I think infps' are very likely to self diagnose and secondly, are more receptive to admitting and acknowledging a problem.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
INFP's understand the concept of normality, why? Because we feel so out of touch with it. What is the INFP definition of normal? Everything that we're not.

I made a poll a while back on several type forums asking "do you think you are normal?"
Almost all the forums besides the "INFP/J" asked me to "define normal." An infp would never think to ask the OP to define normal in order to answer question, so this here in lies the reason why u can't see things from our point of view.
I don't feel abnormal :unsure:

·
11,928 Posts
Acey(because I'm too lazy to quote directly :bored:):
MBTI as a description of behavior is pretty flawed. That's why I lend more credence to cognitive functions. If you were in a room full of INFPs, you would not behave the same as them all necessarily. Whether INFPs are a minority is irrelevant, I was just making a point about type stats... Being an INFP does not mean you are gonna have the same behavioral traits as other INFPs.

I don't even fucking understand what is normal. But I don't care because the concept of normality is flawed in my opinion. If people asked you to define normal, it's because normal is subjective...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
How do you know that certain traits of yours have anything to do with being an INFP? How do you know that any of that has anything to do with MBTI?
simple Ne deduction.

A. I am persecuted for many things I do simply because of who I am, causing me to go through many problems throughout life.

B. I discover later that I am apparently an "INFP" and that many behaviors that I am persecuted for apparently are a product of my cognitive function order resulting in my MBTI preference "INFP".

C. I test and find out which of my friends are also "INFP's" and discover that they have/had the exact same problems that I do/did.

D. I join sites like PerC and notice that it is not just my friends and I that have had these problems, but many other INFP's throughout the world.

I am not just throwing out baseless statements. This is all based on what I have witnessed for myself.

So when I see that I have a certain problem, and very large amount of people who are like myself have the same problem, how can I still have doubt that personality behavior is the source of the issue? The evidence, while based on a slightly broken theory, is still very solid and in my face. I do relate to these people who have also tested as INFP's and it makes sense to me that they would have the same problems in society that I have had.

I am not saying that because of what I've analyzed I think there are no exceptions to this, but so far when psychoanalyzing a troubled INFP through discussion, I have always been able to trace things back to the effects of negative persecution from society in some form or another. I have yet to meet an exception, eventually I will, but so far I haven't.

That says to me that the majority of people who test as INFP's have this problem. and THAT says to me that a lot of people in our society have trouble accepting INFP's because they are different. and the fact that they are considered different says to me that they are seen as abnormal, which means there can't possibly be a ton of them walking around the planet since normality is largely based on whoever happens to be the most dominant social group aka the majority.
i.e: america is mostly white people, black people being the minority undergo far more problems than white people do such as racism. there's nothing wrong with black people as a social group, they just get picked on by the majority.

So there IS something that I have in common with these people who test as INFP's that is causing us to have this problem, but if it's not our personality being seen as abnormal due to lack of representation, then what is it? cuz it seems very unlikely that there would be another factor that was as general as MBTI that could fit all of us together and cause all of us to have that problem.

How does society honor ideas that are opposite to those of INFPs?
I have been expected to get a diploma and go to a 4 year college so I can get a job all just so I can make more money in the future.

I have been expected to not show my emotions because that is apparently a sign of weakness.

I have been expected to care about what people think of me and what I look like physically.

I have been expected to be organized and have a "clean" room and house.

I have been expected to not trust anybody 100% because that is somehow foolish.

I could add many things to this list but I wont

I have been expected to do these things not just by my parents or my friends, but also by the people I interact with on a daily basis. Acquaintances and strangers. Co-workers and authorities. Society.

generally speaking, NONE of these things are something an INFP would force upon me. at least, no INFP has ever expected me to do any of those things so far because they themselves would not want to do them. And yet they were forced upon me, as if I had no choice in the matter because "that's just how things are done".

How can it be that if there are apparently more INFP's walking around than I think, that these standards take priority over everything else and that people don't ever consider that maybe I have a different viewpoint?

Since there are just SLIGHTLY more F women than men, people affiliate women with emotions, but how can it be that people aren't even aware of the existence of INFP values and viewpoints on things even though there are apparently a lot of us walking around?

Definitely. None of my EJ friends have ever had this kind of problem. Nor have my ENFP friends (for the most part). They have never once been an outcast in any sense for any part of their lives. They may still feel that way for some reason, but they definitely don't have people calling them weird like I and people like myself have many many times.
and I don't wish to be seen as normal, but I do wish society were more accepting and less narrow-minded. but oh well, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I was just asking, in fact I don't even think of things like that as illnesses.
I agree with you all; we are a minority and if we ever are hurt that's because of it. I didn't doubt. Now that I think that was a stupid question...or maybe you all have misinterpreted it. A world with INFPs would be much better, I think. :D lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts