Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
4,095 Posts
Personality disorders like borderline (although that is contentious) often go unrecognised by the person with them. They have very little self awareness, and will deny or rationalise away the prospect of having a personality disorder.

Being an IN and especially if you are an enneatype 4 (which many infps' are) can be almost like the an antithesis of BPD, as paradoxical as that can seem, as many of the borderline diagnostic criteria could possibly correlate with infp 4 traits.

I argue that the infp 4 can be the antithesis, because they are very self aware and introspective about themselves. And so have a degree of self knowledge that many other types are not as interested in. They may be obsessed with thoughts that they could be in some way disordered, and will contemplate the things that they think are wrong with them often, and try to find some kind of disorder they think fits. A BPD would probably not do that.
That said, obviously there would have to be BPD infps' out there and the capacity for self awareness they have, would give them an advantage in treatment and recovery.

I live with an exfp with borderline personality, and I would advise the infps' who contemplate that they are borderline, to think seriously about it. It isn't just about moodiness and things that affect the self, some BPD have a Jekyll/Hyde split and are incredibly hard to deal with. BPD spills onto others. and it's like dealing with an emotionally and intellectually abusive estj who has no idea what they are doing.

Both disorders have genetic origins, and given that many infps' may well be highly sensitive people, many things in the environment could "switch" these genes on.
I do not think there is a correlation between personalities and personality disorders apart from what I have mentioned, and something confounding all this, is that I think infps' are very likely to self diagnose and secondly, are more receptive to admitting and acknowledging a problem.

· Banned
4,095 Posts
INFP's understand the concept of normality, why? Because we feel so out of touch with it. What is the INFP definition of normal? Everything that we're not.

I made a poll a while back on several type forums asking "do you think you are normal?"
Almost all the forums besides the "INFP/J" asked me to "define normal." An infp would never think to ask the OP to define normal in order to answer question, so this here in lies the reason why u can't see things from our point of view.
I don't feel abnormal :unsure:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.