Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys! This is actually my first thread, and I hope this isn't already made.

Anyways, is it normal for INFP's to play RPG games, otome games or other games where you can be someone else?

I'm guessing it's because we're idealists and we can be our idealized selves while playing those games.

Also if you have any game recommendations that are INFP-y that'd be cool, because it's currently Summer vacation where I am and I'm bored. :/

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Don't you play as someone else in... every game?
I think the OP probably means the kind of RPG where you create an original character. Whilst some create entirely original characters, some create one that is "them", in essence. But heavily idealised. I think that's what they're asking about anyway.

I certainly use games like Skyrim, or pen-and-paper RPGs, to create an "idealised me". I know a lot of gamers like to create entirely new personae, and explore new personalities that way. I see the appeal, but it's never been for me. I guess because I've always felt strongly ill-at-ease with the "real-life me" and how it (at least my physical presence) doesn't represent the ideal me at all. As such I make character that carefully stride the line between being like me and an idealisation. They tend to have my basic features and build, general physical attributes and abilities, but focused into a more "complete" idea of the Inner Me. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have two INFP friends who are fans of Elsword and Minecraft (which also seems to go with building an idealize image.) The one also likes mmorpg games, and I have seen her on at least three different titles. I am not sure wither my third INFP friend games or not. She's never mentioned it. Well, there's my input of qualitative data on a sample of three people.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was thinking that too! I loooove games like the Elder Scrolls series where I can create a totally customizable character (who ends up being an awesome version of myself) and be whoever I want (which ends up being everything... listener or the dark brotherhood, master of theives guild, saviour of the world, vampire, werewolf, AND captain of guards, anyone?). I guess it's like an ultimate escape into a completely idealized world... which is what we dream of, right?
And I love MMORPGs like WoW because you get all that, and you get to show other people how cool you are too ;)

PS: *whispers* Oblivion was better than Skyrim... *runs away*

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have a preference. In games, no matter who the avatar is I'm controlling, being able to control this thing that is not myself that I still guide, and through unique worlds with unique experiences..I at once become the character and someone else. It's an immediate jump into a completely new realm of thinking, but with high levels of relatability

1 - 9 of 9 Posts