Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid, I used to be really energetic, boisterous, and mischievous. I was actually somewhat popular because I was always making witty remarks and making the other kids laugh. I was a bit of a troublemaker/class clown and while I had a knack for making people laugh, I would often get into trouble with my teachers for disrupting the class or talking out of turn (this happened a lot). But I was constantly making the other kids crack up and people used to tell me that I should be a talk show host or something like that.

The problem is that I am really shy around strangers and it takes me a really long time to warm up to someone so most people I meet won't ever see this side of me. I always felt really uncomfortable at the beginning of the school year and I barely said a word; people didn't even know I existed at first. But then I would start to get comfortable in the new environment and also with the people around me, and I would start to be less inhibited and open my mouth a bit more. I'm constantly thinking of funny retorts or things to say, it's just that I'm usually afraid that it either won't be funny or that I'll sound stupid so I won't say it aloud.

I think I've read somewhere that a quick wit is somewhat common among INFPers but I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask y'all what you thought about this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to be really energetic, boisterous, and mischievous. I was actually somewhat popular because I was always making witty remarks and making the other kids laugh. I was a bit of a troublemaker/class clown and while I had a knack for making people laugh, I would often get into trouble with my teachers for disrupting the class or talking out of turn (this happened a lot). But I was constantly making the other kids crack up and people used to tell me that I should be a talk show host or something like that.
I'm betting a lot of us were. Don't worry. You're not alone. I almost completely lost it when I suddenly had stage fright during 2nd Grade where I had none before and had to quit poem recital. I slowly recovered though. I don't really remember how. I think I just slowly convinced myself to be braver next time. So, in time, I won myself 2 Quiz Bees, a poster making contest (the rest of these were in 2nd and 3rd places) and 2 Battle of the Bands competitions. But that's just me.

The problem is that I am really shy around strangers and it takes me a really long time to warm up to someone so most people I meet won't ever see this side of me. I always felt really uncomfortable at the beginning of the school year and I barely said a word; people didn't even know I existed at first. But then I would start to get comfortable in the new environment and also with the people around me, and I would start to be less inhibited and open my mouth a bit more. I'm constantly thinking of funny retorts or things to say, it's just that I'm usually afraid that it either won't be funny or that I'll sound stupid so I won't say it aloud.
Bro, we have all the right to say witty remarks. It's kind of natural. I also know that we can be very, very corny at times. So speak whatever pops into your head that sounds funny. Try it out with your friends or family, or just about anyone you think can help you out outside of the internet.

Or maybe take some cues from Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender. His humor never bored me throughout the series. :laughing:

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sensei.of.slow

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
It has been brought to my attention, by multiple people, that I can be very funny. Quick wits. Sharp tongue. But not only that. I am also quite adept at telling or writing a (funny) story, something I actually prefer over telling a quick joke.

My humor skillzz enable me to defuse the more 'tense' situations with a joke or I can cheer people up or make them open up a little bit quicker. I am glad I've got that skill.

Reactions: Verity3

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We. Funny. Blobs. Har. Har. Har.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,643 Posts
Well, I'm not. At least, I don't think so. Only certain types of people get my humour... or rather, I'd say my jokes tend to be dry and people can't tell if I'm serious or if I'm joking.
Same here. My partner has said this to me before, about the dryness. It's like it took him a few times to get the dry humour, the dead-pan expressions. Once this is established, then the dark jokes come out, there has to be a mutual understanding though :proud:

·
Banned
598 Posts
wit is overrated..

no proof have i of any but it i did

i'd give it up for something with more currency,

to wit, an irresistible winsome demeanour

and then henceforth all the more undiminished twit

·
Registered
771 Posts
Lol, I always though it was. People start cracking up at things I do/say which IDK why they would find it funny.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
No, I have never once said anything clever in my entire life. I may as well have been silent since birth.

Reactions: sogood

·
Registered
526 Posts
INFP humor tends to be very notable, but we need the right audience and to feel an open atmosphere. My friends love my quick witted humor, although I don't always have it. I guess I'm just good at timing and placement of my jokes(quality vs quantity). What surprises me is when I say a joke I doubt my friends would enjoy(normally a pun that I noticed and think is hilarious) and they actually find it funny. Not the "sympathy laugh" funny but genuinely enjoy some of the puns I make. :laughing: So I guess I just have friends that enjoy that, but I've also been in less friendly and open atmosphere's where I'll say a joke and it'd more or less just be shrugged off or pushed to the side for another joke. So atmosphere, familiarity with the people around you, and just good timing are the only way I can be thought of as funny. :kitteh:

·
Banned
377 Posts
Apparently I'm a fuck nutted cloud as that wise man above my ceiling said "Yes my dad"...

His broad and shagged out representation on occasion??...

But don't be fooled by forceful thrust , piercing your crusty beach below.

LOL!!! .. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA lol.. okay wtf.. lol

·
Banned
377 Posts
INFP humor tends to be very notable, but we need the right audience and to feel an open atmosphere. My friends love my quick witted humor, although I don't always have it. I guess I'm just good at timing and placement of my jokes(quality vs quantity). What surprises me is when I say a joke I doubt my friends would enjoy(normally a pun that I noticed and think is hilarious) and they actually find it funny. Not the "sympathy laugh" funny but genuinely enjoy some of the puns I make. :laughing: So I guess I just have friends that enjoy that, but I've also been in less friendly and open atmosphere's where I'll say a joke and it'd more or less just be shrugged off or pushed to the side for another joke. So atmosphere, familiarity with the people around you, and just good timing are the only way I can be thought of as funny. :kitteh:

We need the mystery eye!

eye.jpg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts