Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
Oh, certainly. I always think of simpler, happier times and sometimes can't help but cry a little when I think of fond memories. I've had a lot of flashbacks lately, and I've found myself getting super emotional about them, and even if they were not so great times I remembered, I still wanted to think about them. I'd imagine that just inherently having Fi-Si makes nostalgia common in INFPs, but I've found that it can get incredibly intense in an unhealthy Fi-Si loop.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean to sound overly sentimental but there is something tragically sad about the very idea of the past to me. We can replay it in our fading memories and photos but it's officially gone. We can smell it, feel it and remember it but we can't put our arms around it. Even physicists are now saying time travel into the past is impossible because the past doesn't exist.

Attachments

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
I don't mean to sound overly sentimental but there is something tragically sad about the very idea of the past to me. We can replay it in our fading memories and photos but it's officially gone. Even physicists are now saying time travel into the past is impossible because the past doesn't exist.
Wow. I don't know why that hit me so hard, but... it really is painful to think about. It doesn't exist... I just can't wrap my mind around that. I just cannot help but think of all of those people that I've had the pleasure of knowing in the past, that they've ceased to exist too. I guess now nostalgia has a whole new meaning and a greater importance to me than before.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow. I don't know why that hit me so hard, but... it really is painful to think about. It doesn't exist... I just can't wrap my mind around that. I just cannot help but think of all of those people that I've had the pleasure of knowing in the past, that they've ceased to exist too. I guess now nostalgia has a whole new meaning and a greater importance to me than before.
I know what ya mean. Memories are like impressions that live on in our minds but the past has been erased forever. My dad died when I was 7 years old and I can still remember the smell of shirts and can hear his voice. It's amazing how clear it is but to think it's just mental photograph of something long gone.

·
Retired Administrator
18,084 Posts
Yeah--I can be nostalgic about particular things. It can be a challenge, because there's also a part of me that really likes to lunge forward, and almost rip attachments out, and change dramatically. It might help a little but it ultimately feels more like amputating parts of my body and I think the effect is similar.

So I find myself in a difficult spot between being true to my "heart" (maybe Si Fi) with nurturing nostalgia and growing seedlings from memories, or nurturing my "spirit" (maybe Ne and Te) and plowing on with a goal or at least trying something dramatically different to wake myself out of it.

But I've also heard the idea that our memory is more of a story than snapshots, and so perhaps nostalgia and the past are more creative than we often associate. It's healthy and normal to have our memory like a narrative, and perhaps we just fine tune it...but yes--nostalgia sometimes seems like an Achilles heel to me, though it also gives meaning to my life.

Sometimes I read Keats poems, which make me super upset and nostalgic. Just that sort of yearning for um...eternity in one blissful moment. It does remind me a little of Si and the resistance to the changing world of Ne...digging its heels in and clinging to meaningful moments and feelings.

I value all the change and growth I've gone through, but I cherish memories and those meaningful moments...and I don't let some things go easily. Ultimately, I'd like to learn to best care for those moments when they're happening, and also the most important aspects, people, and um...things (not very articulate right now, sorry) in my present life.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Ahh the Fi-Si loop...

I'm fairly nostalgic. I have a rubbermaid box of a lot of my old stuff, and like to examine it from time to time. Keeping a private blog lets me engage in the indulgence if I want to. Most of the time it's harmless, but sometimes it's not healthy for me. I've used it as an escape; and of course the loop can happen.

Just in case: the Fi-Si loop for me happens as follows:

1. Fi is questioned. Either I have a bad day, I get yelled at, I act out of character, something doesn't get done, or takes too long to get done.
2. Reflection, useless in nature (Ne or Te fails to help?).
3. Si reminds me of past failures or past lack of responsibilities. Assures me that I'm going to fail again.
4.... profit?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I can be nostalgic, but I don't think I am more than average. Some kinds of nostalgia are even pet peevish to me. If you keep saying that society was better in the past, you're most likely wrong because you've idealized the zeitgeist of that time and not thought of the truer picture. Would you really rather live in the 50'ies or the stone age, or is it just your imagination talking?
Of course I can also get warm feelings when picturing certain people and events in my life, and I most certainly enjoy listening to music that I've heard so much before it's almost part of me, but then again I reckon most people do this.

Reactions: Thread Killer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts