Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get this a lot, fellow INTJ's?
NT's as well.

Why do people call you arrogant? Do you think they misinterpret your self-confidence for arrogance? Your witty sardonic humor for prick-like remarks?
Do you notice the preconceived judgements being made around INTJs and NTs by other people?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Some of them....but there are arrogant pricks in every type. :p There's a big difference between being confident and knowing your capabilities and being arrogant and assuming superiority.

Or as my INTJ bf put it "There's a difference between thinking you're better than everyone and knowing it as fact." -.-

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,601 Posts
I'm thinking that threads like this are such an invitation for people to say oh yes, I know 43323454 INTJs, they're all arrogant and total pricks too....but don't despair!!

Oh no don't you little autistic and socially retarded INTJs ever be afraid because I'm here to teach you how to be socially acceptable. Then turn the thread into something alllllllll about me and my values.....

Of course you're arrogant and a prick, you're getting upset about my well meant advice but let me just say this, I'm here to help.

Where are you going?

See, told you they were arrogant. Pricks!:laughing:

----------------------------------------------------

I don't get called arrogant IRL.

I have only ever self depreciatively been called a prick (by myself) IRL.

It's only on teh netz by people who have preconceived notions of an INTJ stereotype and people who misread what I've said who have called me arrogant.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think that sometimes INTJs come across as arrogant pricks (I prefer arrogant dickheads myself, with a silent H) but when you really really really understand where the INTJ is coming from, all the wealth of information (normally in the form of a huge ellipsis) contained in what they say (or dont say), generally there is very little cockiness.

I think other types (ESTJs, ENTJs ESFJs..etc) can display more "genuine" arrogance...

(is that bad?)

Edited to add: I say sometimes, I meant "often"

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bethdeth

bahah love the first bit. i definitely get 'autistic.'

Reactions: beth x

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Flora

i think people confuse our self-assured/confident nature with arrogance.

but i don't blame them!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've been called arrogant and an a-hole before, but people confuse self-assurance with arrogance. I do not exaggerate my abilities, I do not pretend to know what I do not, and I do not pretend to be what I am not. If I should say something, I do so because it is the truth.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
All of the NTs get called arrogant for different reasons by people who know nothing about what they're talking about. If you're arrogant, it's no more so than the rest of us (though, I like the bluntness of the thread title. Very INTJ :wink:).

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Do you get this a lot, fellow INTJ's?
NT's as well.

Why do people call you arrogant? Do you think they misinterpret your self-confidence for arrogance? Your witty sardonic humor for prick-like remarks?
Do you notice the preconceived judgements being made around INTJs and NTs by other people?
I am guessing this might be related to the thread you recently created in the INFP section of the forum, where you didn't actually show self confidence, it was actually arrogance.

Sardonic sense of humour? what so a sense of humour that constantly mocks others? well of course if your sense of humour is mocking others mixed with arrogance seen as self-confidence, of course people will see that as being prick like

·
Registered
379 Posts
Never been called arrogant, to my knowledge.
I think ENTJs are much more likely to be called that: INTJs are more selective about when to speak so the cumulative know-it-all effect isn't as high.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Most people like me when I lie to them they only hate me when I'm being honest or simply call them out on their own BS, I have been called a know-it-all before because I actually did know a lot of things and it apparently pissed people off and I don't understand why, and then they still get mad at me when I cant answer their question because I actually don't know. I am sometimes called sarcastic without meaning to be but i don't try to waste anytime explaining that i wasn't being sarcastic.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The opinions of others varied greatly but did not contain arrogant and prick in the same description.

1.Unfeeling
2. Shy
3. Socially inept
4. Implied as being a bitch from such gems as "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
5. Untrustworthy (couldn't be further from the truth but with my honesty I guess they thought I wouldn't be able to resist shouting from the rooftops whatever drama they were currently inflicting themselves with).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I get it more from my girlfriend than anyone else, but yes.

She hates me being blunt about people/things. She's ISFJ and very very worried about people's feelings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am often perceived as a know-it-all and a sarcastic bitch. I only have this problem on the internet. In person, I am very animated and people catch on that I am just being facetious.

·
Registered
440 Posts
10 Ways to Tell if You're Confident – or Arrogant

Anyone of any type can be arrogant. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance.
Honestly thought those were bad descriptions of both types. Also arrogance and confidence isn't determined by someone else, but being perceived as arrogant/confident is. Actually being them is only for you to know for sure. If you're misinterpreted as arrogant based on those crude body language observations and facile analysis, that most certainly doesn't make you arrogant. Not to say it rules it out; you just can't make objective conclusions based on subjective data.

Addendum:
You can be arrogant and meet few of the criteria.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts