Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's an INTJ and has been called a sociopath by some of my therapists in the past. I always thought that word meant a crazy serial killer or something so I always thought that couldn't be possible. Well the other day I thought to research what a sociopath is on a whim and now I realize he fits almost all the descriptions...

So that made me wonder are INTJs more prone to be sociopaths? And from the descriptions I've read they seem to be naturally cold, calculating, and unable to feel emotions or empathy well...

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The INTJs I know in real life are usually quite cold and impersonal, but they are still capable of feeling emotion and certainly capable of caring for others.

I would say no, as cognitive functions only prescribe preferred modes of behavior subconsciously. Complete lack of empathy is another beast altogether.

An INTJ is not an unhealthy or psychologically peculiar/damaged human being. Sociopaths are... different.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w6
2,506 Posts
My dad's an INTJ and has been called a sociopath by some of my therapists in the past. I always thought that word meant a crazy serial killer or something so I always thought that couldn't be possible. Well the other day I thought to research what a sociopath is on a whim and now I realize he fits almost all the descriptions...

So that made me wonder are INTJs more prone to be sociopaths? And from the descriptions I've read they seem to be naturally cold, calculating, and unable to feel emotions or empathy well...
If law (more specifically the degree to which murders are investigated) didn't exist I might kill some people.

loljk I would never do that I love everyone.

·
Administrator
23,778 Posts
Seriously?

It might be possible that your "INTJ" dad is a sociopath ENFP. Heh.

I think they (sociopaths) might be mistaken for being INTJ. It (MBTI) is about cognitive process and nothing to do with personality disorders. People with issues like this are not really going to be that easy to type.

..hey why doesn't everyone just lump them with the INTJs, because no-one seems to get them? Ooops there you already did.

It's just like saying that ENTJs have god complexes and INTPs have dissociative disorder. Go and ask them about these disorders and I'll get the popcorn.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
any person of any personality type can become a sociopath. life experiences, lack of emotional support structure, poor choices, and medical/genetic factors can all render anyone more susceptible to psychiatric pathology.

'tendencies' do not determine behavior, anymore than the INFJ Hitler or INFJ bin Laden's Ni-Fe-Ti made them commit genocide (if it did, then all INFJs would commit genocide). personal choice can overcome/overrule that which comes naturally to a person. experiences can change the way people naturally act or react in life. people who are not naturally empathetic can choose to be kind, and people who are naturally empathetic can choose to be unkind. people who are naturally shy can choose to talk to people; people who are naturally obnoxious can choose to tone down their way of expressing themselves. we are not the product of our tendencies alone.

hatred is not a personality trait; it is a reaction. cruel behavior is not a personality trait; it is a choice. deceit is not a personality trait; it is a purposeful misrepresentation. pathological lying is not a personality trait; it is a pathology.

please don't associate personality type with psychiatric pathology.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Thank you based seastallion.

Is this really a spinoff of the "INTJs are not gods lulz" thread? Or just coincidence.

Fact: 4% of population is a sociopath, < 2% are INTJ. So, doing mental math, if INTJ = ASPD, then we are still the minority of the sociopaths of society. Virtually all of the self-proclaimed sociopaths on a site I came across a couple years ago self-identified as an NT of some sort.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
What gets me the most about these threads is how everyone seems to think this is an appropriate thing to ask when associating someone's personality traits with APD is a really dickish thing to do. Not to mention the utter lack of logic involved. It'd be like me generalizing that INFJs are more prone to be narcissists because I happen to know one who is. If I took this to the INFJ subforum it'd be WWIII.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Tall poppy syndrome, is all I have to say. Its okay to make slurs and epithets about Yankees, Patriots, Lebron James, etc. All one needs to do, is have emotion overrun logic, and the corresponding ego defense mechanisms take it from there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think what people forget when they start this sort of thinking process is that MBTI is used for how we process information. It's not for anyone else to judge, it's for ourselves. It's not used as a tool to tell what disorders you may be "prone" to. If it was, we'd all have to take a cognitive function test in every psychiatric clinic. This sort of thinking process also ties into the stereotype that feelers have more empathy than thinkers when in reality feelers tend to establish a connection with empathy when making decisions whilst thinkers connect with logic. It has nothing to do with "lacking empathy" among other negative traits and symptoms associated with a pathology. The mental health system is a completely different system and in most cases has been proven to exist whilst MBTI is just a theory that may or may not be valid.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
What on earth does being "cold and calculating" or "able to feel emotion well" guarantee - or even make more likely - in regards to the chance of an individual being a sociopath?

I want to believe that such a position comes from beginning knowledge of typology, because that would be the only circumstance that makes it remotely appreciable. Sorry if that comes across as harsh or "cold," but as this post demonstrates, such estimations are written off our surfaces at best, and in circumstances posed against our inner value systems, we do have emotion. It isn't directed at towards a collective whole as is the case with Fe users, but it is one of our cognitive processes - despite not being shown frequently really, for fear and mistrust. Perhaps legitimately so in some cases. Perhaps not even an issue in others, who have spent time developing and diversifying their functional perspectives.

The archetypes are tools, not causalities for life situations many of us have no business in believing we can understand in the way they best can be.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't mean to offend anyone! I just asked a question since I thought the description of an INTJ and a sociopath had quite a bit of similarities. Some sites even list them as "the mastermind." I'm not an MBTI expert so I didn't know that MBTI and personality disorders are completely unrelated. Hell I'm not as well versed as a lot of you are in psychology either. I'm not even completely sure my father is a sociopath because while he fits the bill for the most part from the descriptions I read he also claims to be able to love.

It's been over 2 weeks since I've seen an INTJ-sociopath thread-We were due.
I wasn't aware there have been previous threads like this. I just visited the INTJ subforum today.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I didn't mean to offend anyone! I just asked a question since I thought the description of an INTJ and a sociopath had quite a bit of similarities. Some sites even list them as "the mastermind." I'm not an MBTI expert so I didn't know that MBTI and personality disorders are completely unrelated. Hell I'm not as well versed as a lot of you are in psychology either. I'm not even completely sure my father is a sociopath because while he fits the bill for the most part from the descriptions I read he also claims to be able to love.

I wasn't aware there have been previous threads like this. I just visited the INTJ subforum today.
I would say so, considering there are other types that have plenty of similar characteristics to ASPD symptoms. :p

·
Registered
766 Posts
What gets me the most about these threads is how everyone seems to think this is an appropriate thing to ask when associating someone's personality traits with APD is a really dickish thing to do. Not to mention the utter lack of logic involved. It'd be like me generalizing that INFJs are more prone to be narcissists because I happen to know one who is. If I took this to the INFJ subforum it'd be WWIII.
I have a theory.
The association of INTJs with sociopathy is partly based on our common reaction to this question.

When presented with the theory that INTJs in general might be more prone to sociopathy than other types (an assumption that I suspect would already raise a riot in some other type forums), the usual reaction is a contemplative "Hm, I don't actually know. Most INTJs are not sociopaths and sociopaths can be other types, but that doesn't actually rule out a correlation. Still, I don't think it is related."

When directly asked "Are you a sociopath or do you have sociopathic tendencies?" (a question that would probably be answered with "heck no!" by most people), the average answer here seems to be "Well...let me think about it...I don't always get people and there are some stereotypical indicators, so I see why you might ask, but after looking up what sociopathy actually is, I came to the decision I'm nowhere close." Or "Interesting question, but no." Or maybe "I'm not, but my friends do like to joke about me being a serial killer har har."

Basically, we don't refuse emphatically enough. We are not offended enough. And who would not be upset by the idea of being a sociopath? A sociopath, that's who! That's the logic this follows. So the idea stays alive.

And how did the idea start?

Sociopathy is about reduced empathy, so actually (by stereotypes) all T-types should qualify for this kind of thread. Except maybe ISTJs, because someone who thinks Ts don't have empathy would also believe that crap about them being so very rule-conforming and traditional that an ISTJ sociopath would be plainly boring.
Media portrayal (falsely) makes it seem like most psycho-/sociopaths are loners, so maybe introverts are more likely to get these.
Leaves ISTP and INTP. Both have Fe in their function set, even if it's inferior. And Fe is described as *the* empathy function.
Leaves INTJ as the "closest fit". Plus, a significant number of our potential fictional representatives are villains.
Perfect.

Do some of the other T types sometimes get these threads? Are their reactions notably different?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts