Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through some stuff in life recently and based on several internet inquiries and a lot of memes, it seems that INTJs are most likely to be Aspies than any other personality type anywhere from mild Asperger's to heavily Asperger's. What are your thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think they personally relate to the INTJ stereotypes. I doubt they would know their actual functions without a professional differentiating their Asperger tendencies from function characteristics.

·
Banned
521 Posts
INTJ-ness isn't a developmental disorder. Brief, superficial observation might sometimes confuse outward aspects of the two but I doubt a competent analyst would think them the same.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I think they personally relate to the INTJ stereotypes. I doubt they would know their actual functions without a professional differentiating their Asperger tendencies from function characteristics.
Heh, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
INTJ memes are disgusting. Though, I can't find any that seem to relate to Aspies.

·
Banned
2,064 Posts
i've been going through some stuff in life recently and based on several internet inquiries and a lot of memes, it seems that intjs are most likely to be aspies than any other personality type anywhere from mild asperger's to heavily asperger's. What are your thoughts on this subject?
bullshit.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,786 Posts
I agree with Snapple and call bullshit. I will say that INTJs are possibly more likely to have codswallopy memes about their state of mental health just a little more than other types though.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
No, not at all. The INTJ stereotype is aspie. Plus, aspies are weak on most of the cognitive functions that INTJs are weak on. So they get mixed up sometimes.

Reactions: MarioAndLuigi

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, not at all. The INTJ stereotype is aspie. Plus, aspies are weak on most of the cognitive functions that INTJs are weak on. So they get mixed up sometimes.
I only started this thread because of several correlations I've noticed among INTJs and Aspies like obscure social interactions, having a lack of friends, being loners, passion for science, intelligence, or being slightly to very autistic, some degree of autism. Also, Correlation ≠ Causation.

·
Registered
257 Posts
While some INTJs will have Asperger's, I highly doubt most of us do. I know I don't. I think it's just that INTJs and Aspies have similar behaviour patterns. The key difference is that while Aspies sometimes fail to understand social convention, INTJs understand it, we just disregard it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Aargh, not again.
I missed all the other discussions. Did they have anything of value?

-----

As stupid as it is, I tried to research this topic a bit. I went to wrongplanet forum and looked up several topics about MBTI with polls, and most of the answers were indeed INTJ. But it looks like most of people just took tests to determine their type. I took a look at one of those tests, it seemed to try to pick a letter: I vs E, S vs N, F vs T and P vs J. Most of the questions about I/E were about dealing with social situations and I can see how an aspie could choose answers which will result in more I. There were also many questions about going with the flow vs preferring to have things organized and known, that's probably P/J, and an aspie could choose answers which will result in more J, maybe also more T. Struggling with theory of mind can also lead to more T than F in the rest results. I have no idea about more N than S in the results though.

So, I think, even though INTJ is by no means equal to high likelihood of AS, some AS traits can be mistaken for INTJ traits by tests or poorly informed people.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I missed all the other discussions. Did they have anything of value?

-----

As stupid as it is, I tried to research this topic a bit. I went to wrongplanet forum and looked up several topics about MBTI with polls, and most of the answers were indeed INTJ. But it looks like most of people just took tests to determine their type. I took a look at one of those tests, it seemed to try to pick a letter: I vs E, S vs N, F vs T and P vs J. Most of the questions about I/E were about dealing with social situations and I can see how an aspie could choose answers which will result in more I. There were also many questions about going with the flow vs preferring to have things organized and known, that's probably P/J, and an aspie could choose answers which will result in more J, maybe also more T. Struggling with theory of mind can also lead to more T than F in the rest results. I have no idea about more N than S in the results though.

So, I think, even though INTJ is by no means equal to high likelihood of AS, some AS traits can be mistaken for INTJ traits by tests or poorly informed people.
MBTI isn't even supposed to be used on people with a disorder (personally, I don't like the word disorder, but Asperger's Syndrome is recognised as an autism spectrum disorder so.....)
I'll look for the old threads when I've got a minute.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think Aspies are more likely to be seen as an INTJ than any other type, sometimes they are very obviously not INTJ's though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll look for the old threads when I've got a minute.
Probably it will be better if you don't waste your time on it, I'll look them up myself. It didn't occur to me at 4 a.m.

Is the idea behind MBTI not usable on people with disorders something like this: disorders change personality so much that nothing except for traits caused by those disorders can be seen?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is the idea behind MBTI not usable on people with disorders something like this: disorders change personality so much that nothing except for traits caused by those disorders can be seen?
In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules which people often use to form judgments and make decisions. They are mental shortcuts that usually involve focusing on one aspect of a complex problem and ignoring others.[1][2][3] These rules work well under most circumstances, but they can lead to systematic deviations from logic, probability or rational choice theory.[citation needed] The resulting errors are called "cognitive biases" and many different types have been documented. These have been shown to affect people's choices in situations like valuing a house or deciding the outcome of a legal case. Heuristics usually govern automatic, intuitive judgments but can also be used as deliberate mental strategies when working from limited information.
Heuristics in judgment and decision-making - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually came to the forum to post this, was looking for the thread but people are irrational everywhere. :proud:

Found a name for that type of stupidity now (sorry, it's too late for the nice guy filter :D). It does save brain resources for more "important" matters if you are a bit lacking on it :D (sorry again :tongue:).

Found while looking here:

Behavioral economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are three prevalent themes in behavioral finances:[4]
Heuristics: People often make decisions based on approximate rules of thumb and not strict logic.
Framing: The collection of anecdotes and stereotypes that make up the mental emotional filters individuals rely on to understand and respond to events.
Market inefficiencies: These include mis-pricings and non-rational decision making.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Heuristics in judgment and decision-making - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually came to the forum to post this, was looking for the thread but people are irrational everywhere. :proud:

Found a name for that type of stupidity now (sorry, it's too late for the nice guy filter :D). It does save brain resources for more "important" matters if you are a bit lacking on it :D (sorry again :tongue:).

Found while looking here:

Behavioral economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure I understand your point. Is it about people who see only a disorder and don't notice anything else behind it or about people who can see only one thing at a time?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Although INTJs may share certain traits in common with people with Aspergers -- awkward social skills immediately coming to mind -- there's more to Aspergers than that. They're generally strict with rituals, have sensory preoccupations, have difficulty communicating, and a deep tie in with obsessions.

There's a large difference between being deeply interested in a topic and being obsessed with it to the point where you can't stop thinking about it, or appreciating routine but near-losing your ability to function when you don't eat your oatmeal at exactly 8:30 in the morning.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your point. Is it about people who see only a disorder and don't notice anything else behind it or about people who can see only one thing at a time?
It about using rules of thumb, being lazy, close-minded, wrong, irrational, all the time.

More about the first when I was talking about it, its everywhere tough.

I'm included in the stupid, irrational default mode of thinking...

·
Registered
86 Posts
While some INTJs will have Asperger's, I highly doubt most of us do. I know I don't. I think it's just that INTJs and Aspies have similar behaviour patterns.
I think this is spot on. Also heads up DSM-V no longer recognises Asperger's as an official diagnosis. I have High-functioning Autism if you want to call it. Either way I'm slightly autistic, but I can function within society. I'm just slightly eccentric that's all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts