Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question that has stemmed from a number of different places, and I believe Excido may have started a thread on this a while ago. However, this bears asking again;

Are INTJs naturally inclined to be thrifty?

I've taken a good hard look at my income and spending pattern before and since becoming involved in a relationship. During the before period, I made less, had fewer things and spent a good deal of my income on maintaining an LDR. I also managed to save. A LOT. I could pay for international flights (not all for me), assist family when it was required, and led what I felt was a comfortable life.

Now that I am married, I find that even though I make about twice what I used to, there is a lot less saving going on. Due to a joint account, things are constantly spent on things I just don't see the need for, and even things that are obvious, like socializing, take a lot out of us financially, without the obvious draining effect on me. Costs develop from things that could have been avoided with a little planning and sacrifice, and there are requests for all sorts of items, that given the nature of our finances, I can't very well refuse. Also, I seem to be getting a lot of gifts, even though I've flatly stated from the beginning that I don't want material goods.

I'll not deny that a few of the things that have been purchased were worth the investment (a computer and internet access as a couple), but given what I'm making, I shake my head when I look at what gets saved each fortnight. I'm just wondering if other INTJs find that their finances improve when left alone in their natural state? I've spoken with a few people, and the evidence seems to be good, but also one or two cases where INTJs spend money at the drop of a hat.

Please feel free to share your experiences.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am pretty anorectic financially. Had to learn to get anything fun or silly for myself. My natural tendency is to live like a monk. I have been making good money for about 13 years now, and I spend a lot of time playing with it mentally. I go pretty far on unusual savings methods in order to be able to do some very fun things. I guess I am lucky my SO will go along with any money plan I want. But then again, he really benefits when it's time to spend. Did I train him? Maybe. I don't know if I would have been able to convince a non-INTJ female, though.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
When I was single I had a huge savings rate but now that I have a family I am free with my money. I dread when the social security paper comes every year that shows how much you earned in your lifetime because when I look around I don't see any of it. I do see a happy family and kids that aren't bored so I guess that makes up for some of it.

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm very frugal when it comes to myself, yet fairly generous to others. I find it much easier to spend a few hundred on gifts to my SO, than on gifts to myself. It's pretty ridiculous really, especially if one considers I have a very good job and could really splurge if I wanted to.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am by nature thrifty, I tend to double or triple think before every purchase, which often ends in me not buying the thing is question.
Although I do not have experience with living with a partner I do know that when someone needs money I am more than ready to give it to them. So I'll probably stop saving when/if I ever move in with someone else.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am. One of my nicknames was ebenezer.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
For the next few years, any money I make will be going into maintaining an LDR. :dry:

Until I'm able to immigrate.

I avoid spending money on anything that isn't necessary now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have never been good with money, but more to the point, I have never cared about it. I hate it actually. I don't need or want much, so basically, if the necessities are covered, I'm cool.

My wife can be defined, nicely, as frugal, and by my family, psychotic. She's terrified about being old with no money. Though on the one hand, this issue is one of those we have trouble discussing, I love working and she loves saving.........so we're debt free and own our house.

*But I do want to buy a new, smaller desk....it would help me clean off the one I have now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've always had a need to save, and as a result I have sizable savings.

I too ponder carefully every significant/non-strictly necessary purchase.

Currently single so I don't have any relationship expenses.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm not a tightwad, but at the same time I don't spend my money on random shit. When I do spend, I tend to splurge and do it all at once, then stop for a long period of time, then repeat. I'd say I'm smart about my money and have been pretty good with it. I have goals and things I want to accomplish that require saving.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am, and always have been a Tightwad, as you put it. I have inherent issues with brand names of any kind. (Who the hell decides whose name is worth more on my jeans? Why would I pay three times as much just so my ass says Tommy?) I understand quality comes with a price but to many confuse real quality with the prestige of having "Designer" labels. I do however spend to much on others, I Have five people in my life whom I love and would do anything for, and I like to buy them presents to show that although I may be cold and distant in there eyes at times, I truly do value them. And Buying them things is much better than sitting around and talking about my feelings. :mellow:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Want not, waste not pretty much. It took me six months to spend money I received for Christmas/birthday. That went to a cell phone. Material goods aren't really my thing; I buy clothes, books, and food. I would spend cash on experiences if I wasn't a homebody who had few people to go with.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Same here. I don't care much about material goods and the sole idea of being in debt disgusts me, so I don't spend much for myself and have a pretty ascetic life. I also like knowing I have a good amount of extra money spared just in case something happens or I plan something big. When it comes to the few people I care about though, I love buying them presents or helping them when they have financial issues and don't count.

I only indulge in little treats for myself once or twice a month like a book or a good bottle of wine, and bigger ones once in a blue moon such as a concert or an expensive cloth/pair of shoes (I don't like 99.9% of the stuff I see in cloth/shoes shops, but when I do see one I like I MUST have it no matter how much it costs! It's almost compulsory).

I can't talk about the relationship part of the question as I don't have any experience about it, the concept itself of sharing money accounts flies over my head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have always been thrifty and lived within my means. Thought hard about any significant expenditure. Never felt a need to keep up with the Jones'. When I started earning enough money I saved, as did my wife. I have recorded all of our expenses and income either manually or in money management programs such as Quicken since 1985. We saved a lot together with a purpose: we retired at ages 55 and 53. Now we live on our investments and pensions. I seem to spend money more easily now, although I do worry about having enough to last the rest of our lives. If things get tight we may just move to Ecuador. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I wish I was a tightwad. I spend money on clothes, electronics, books, and worst of all, eating out. Going out always involves dining out, gas money, maybe tickets, maybe new clothes/accessories for an event. I'm crazy about perfume too. :crazy:

And chewing gum. :confused: I go through a pack a day, and I used to smoke a pack a day too. And drinks. I go to bars and clubs at least 3-4 times a week.

Worse, I'm a vegan and try to stick to health foods, which is way expensive. So that doesn't help. :-/

After rent, bills, school tuition/textbooks & ADHD meds, I blow through money like there's no tomorrow. I'm always overdrawing my accounts, exceeding my credit balance, I have like $100 in my savings...

I'm also investing in my business right now, so that's more $$$, but at least that's for good purpose. I've got to learn to get my spending under control. :sad:

INTJs, you're all lucky bastards. How is it so easy for you?

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Honestly, I live in my mind 90% of the time and admission is free :happy:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
. I have recorded all of our expenses and income either manually or in money management programs such as Quicken since 1985.
I'm doing that as well. It's very insightful to see where the money actually goes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm not materialistic, I don't need much, but I save up my money. Not for gadgets though or fancy things. I just save up for books about subjects that I want to learn by myself.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts