Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't have to answer these questions, but they're just there to get stimulate any ideas:

I keep on reading that INTP's are pretty detached and low maintenance. However, are they intellectually stimulating for other people? Or do other people understand their motives? Do they even try to understand INTP people or would that just be other INTP's? Does this just mean that INTP's are isolated worlds of their own? What does it mean to appreciate an INTP? Does it mean understanding who they are?

Hah, this makes it seem like INTP's are jigsaw puzzles XD.
But that sorta makes our lives limiting in a way. We're like enormous, walking spheres which never cause impact (making us simple). Disclaimer: there are always times INTP's do make an impact, but it's not like it's constant or anything

Also, this whole post sounds like a serious case of collective special snowflake syndrome according to over-analysis of self. I'm even going to add a disclaimer stating: "Don't blame me for reading too many INTP articles!"

Not like one person can accurately portray a whole population of people based off a questionable test.

Uh, the less commitment put into the responses, the easier they are to answer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Motives? What motives.

I think I'm pretty simple, others seem to think otherwise.

Why would anyone "try" to understand one another - you either get it or don't, and it is fine either way. If someone is so interesting that I "try" to understand that person, probably means I am already or bound to be romantically interested.

You ask bunch of questions that sound very un-INTP or maybe it's just me. I don't quite get what you are saying/asking.

Isolated worlds? The idea worlds or our inevitably quiet social world due to our IN-ness? Are you asking if we are so lonely due to our "complexity"?

Just spent a nice day with an INTP friend. We have different interests, we rarely talk, he does his nice things (for me and for himself) and I do mine, I enjoy his company. We don't talk much but we can just begin in the middle of the deepest thoughts and he is - I am - right there to follow one another. Back to our thoughts/books/games. It's so damn comfortable when I spend time with my INTP friends.

We like simple, good things. Got our own messy routines and preference, we have high tolerance for lots of things and very low tolerance on some. Therefore we are both low maintenance and high maintenance at the same time, took me a long time to realize that. Each has his/her own configuration on that (which might contribute to others' perception of us as particularly high/low maintenance).

I don't know if other INTPs resonate with this. Like we are simple people - we really don't need much, but we do need those few essential things in good quality - and that varies among every INTP I've met.

Well the list of our few essentials usually contains - "few good books," then quickly diversify into good rum, a pettable creature, leather goods, weapons, .. I don't know :p

I'm simple. If you asked my friend, he'd probably also say he's a simple man.

My head is a maze and a puzzle with idea webs, but no one needs to figure me out. I figure stuff out and it's fun. I'm quite comfortable in my whatever world. I have simple rules and values that I've lived with/by since I was a child. It gets refined sometimes, but nothing important changes. I know what I like and I know even better what I don't like. If anyone asks, I communicate them clearly without hesitation. I really don't understand why I should look complex to anyone, but I do get that puzzled reaction sometimes just by being me. :p

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Motives? What motives.

Why would anyone "try" to understand one another - you either get it or don't, and it is fine either way. If someone is so interesting that I "try" to understand that person, probably means I am already or bound to be romantically interested.

You ask bunch of questions that sound very un-INTP or maybe it's just me. I don't quite get what you are saying/asking.
I agree with everything you said, but particularly this. I didn't really know what to say to OP but you summed it up pretty well.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My motives are as uncontingent on others as possible, so yes they are pretty simple. But I can understand why this would mean others don't relate. The only reason I see people caring to relate is whether they can manipulate or sympathize. I think there is a point where if they tried to relate too much they may call their own motives into question, and that disturbs them. But seeing as I overanalyze my motives, I don't have this issue so much. Which could be a good thing and a bad thing I suppose.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Eh, yes and no? We're like a clock. Everything on the surface is clear, precise, laid out and to the point. It's guileless, if we say we want to do something because of Y that's generally why we want to do it. Not we want to do it for Y but also secretly for A-G and it's kinda implied that we're doing it for X and underneath all that we're only really doing it for Z. Unless of course Y requires that we lie and then we'll do that instead but you get the point.

Beneath this relatively clean facade lies the clockwork, to us this is still pretty simple and straightforward. It makes sense. There aren't unnecessary mechanisms. It's complicated because we tend to want to understand everything or as much of it as we can before coming up with the face of the clock. Seeing the clockwork for the first time might be intimidating to the uninitiated though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
However, are they intellectually stimulating for other people?
I share my knowledge with others, I also enjoy participating in discussions. I believe so.

Or do other people understand their motives?
This leads to..

Do they even try to understand INTP people or would that just be other INTP's?
I've never found anyone to completely "understand" me, including other INTPs.

Does this just mean that INTP's are isolated worlds of their own?
I am.

What does it mean to appreciate an INTP? Does it mean understanding who they are?
Understandng, enjoying their company, to appreciate their existence.

·
Registered
INTP
7,052 Posts
Agree with reply #8

I think anyone who knows me will say I'm quite complex. I think we have this kind of air which tells people that they can have an intellectual conversation with us about anything, even if it isn't a subject we know about. For that fact alone, I think it makes us quite complex, if anything because we usually can handle the depth of any given topic. It gives us a certain 'status', I guess?

But as far as relationships go - friends, family, love, whatever - we require the lowest maintenance by far.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Just reading "Secret Lives of INTPs" where there is part about biograpehrs calling INTPs complex, conflicting etc- completely missing the point.
The argument is that simplistic analysis of INTPs is oblivious of the general principles behind our decision. Finely nuanced position is mistakenly viewed as contradictory (because it is not one way all the way).

·
Registered
766 Posts
I do not understand myself, while some people think they understand me - I just go with it now, if they believe they understand me, lets pretend I'm that person.

Probably due to, as someone mentioned, it's a very simplified version of self that is presented externally in most cases.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Motives? What motives.
No driving motive. Just the reasoning behind actions. No one really knows why we do stuff, right? Not unless there's a given reason, and that reason is probably not all encompassing. I'm trying to get the analysis of people down.

INTP's are known for trying to solve complex problems which might not have an answer. For me, people are the same way.
I get what you're saying, that people have relative ideas of what is complex or not, and I agree with that.

Lol, my un-INTP questions are just adding to the spectrum of what INTP's can ask. Sorry if things might not seem really clear-cut. I was just wondering about how much an INTP's internal world affects the external world. There seems to be a lot going on inside, but I just don't really get the point of having so much thinking inside without having any impact. It just seems like a waste of energy.

After reading this response, refer to the first response considering how one reason can't really encompass everything. PARADOX!! XD

Isolated worlds? The idea worlds or our inevitably quiet social world due to our IN-ness? Are you asking if we are so lonely due to our "complexity"?
No, not particularly. I'm not talking about how INTP's are lonely because of any complexities. Although, that would sound like a really funny romance novel character XDD That's so sappy.

Isolated worlds....don't dig too deep into what I say. I just try to say stuff in a fancy manner to change up the structure of sentences and make it sound interesting.

We like simple, good things. Got our own messy routines and preference, we have high tolerance for lots of things and very low tolerance on some. Therefore we are both low maintenance and high maintenance at the same time, took me a long time to realize that. Each has his/her own configuration on that (which might contribute to others' perception of us as particularly high/low maintenance).
Reading this feels like it's some sort of cop-out answer. Mainly a cop-out because it's got that summing-up attitude, which is sorta interesting. But it's abstract enough to be applied to everyone.

Nothing is really said in the previous statement, just some 1 second judgements which I guess are observations because they're more biased and haven't been filtered by thinking it through to neutrality. Hah, being biased is an observation!

Huh, that previous statement (and this one) sounds like an analysis of an observation. I feel like I'm looking at infinite reflections from two mirrors facing each other.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The world is complex...layers upon layers of interlocking systems. Reflecting some knowledge of this or making a novel connection isn't innately complex, though I can see how it can come off like this. Last time I checked mirrors didn't have a complexity of moving parts.

I'm not a complicated man...I like simple pleasures like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lol, my un-INTP questions are just adding to the spectrum of what INTP's can ask.
Hmm no.

Very thorough reply, by the way.

Isolated worlds....don't dig too deep into what I say. I just try to say stuff in a fancy manner to change up the structure of sentences and make it sound interesting.
Hmmmmm no. Don't dig too deep, did you say? Hm anyway, very thorough reply indeed. I can point out something "off" about almost every sentence but no point.

An ISFJ with an NT parent (if you give me your gender I can safely guess which one, but the answer is already obvious 85%)? Or an INTP with very non-INTP parents struggling to emerg... no. I'd stick with the first one.

Hey, there are many motivations (usually unconscious, in your case now, probably definitely unconscious) why an individual tries to be a diff MBTI but.. hm.

Because an INTP just, wouldn't ... do this. I mean, be this.

Look, I mean this in the most neutral way possible. It awesome to be one MBTI, and it also sucks just as much to be one. But trying to be something else takes extra energy.

Just more convinced of whatever I was thinking before when I read your first post (my hypothesis above).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm no.

Very thorough reply, by the way.
Thanks! It's sorta obsessive compulsive because when you quote someone, you get their whole reply so I just gotta talk about everything!

Hmmmmm no. Don't dig too deep, did you say? Hm anyway, very thorough reply indeed. I can point out something "off" about almost every sentence but no point.
Yeah....that's like every question I'm asked. Wait, can you tell me more about the "off" thing? I've kinda given up on making points because you just sorta end up coming back to where you started off anyways.

An ISFJ with an NT parent (if you give me your gender I can safely guess which one, but the answer is already obvious 85%)? Or an INTP with very non-INTP parents struggling to emerg... no. I'd stick with the first one.
Damn, you couldn't be more wrong about the ISFJ thing XDDDD I'm such a lazy procrastinator (haha, that sounds redundant), and I don't believe people are inherently good or something. I'm too averse to structure to be an advocate for tradition.
I checked, by the way (reading the description for ISFJ), so I do see why you'd think about the whole "rich, inner world" thing.

I do have a mom who seems really ESFJ (but hasn't taken the test because I've failed to make her take it) and an ENTJ father. They're pretty non INTP. Um, struggling to emerge? Now you've peaked my interest! Gah, I can't read your mind or something XDD

Hey, there are many motivations (usually unconscious, in your case now, probably definitely unconscious) why an individual tries to be a diff MBTI but.. hm.

Because an INTP just, wouldn't ... do this. I mean, be this.
Maybe a low self-esteem? Like self-contradiction and self examination in every sentence? Maybe I'm just forming another person in my head who'd reply with cynicism to a certain phrase and am just expressing that self-doubt in text.

BAH, now that sounds psychotic XD

Look, I mean this in the most neutral way possible. It awesome to be one MBTI, and it also sucks just as much to be one. But trying to be something else takes extra energy.

Just more convinced of whatever I was thinking before when I read your first post (my hypothesis above).
Hm, maybe there is no basic ground to what an INTP is? Isn't MBTI about how someone processes the world? So it doesn't necessarily address how one expresses his/herself (now my gender is pretty obvious).
I've tried many times with different MBTI tests, even trying to change up my answers in the same test to change up my resisted impulses (like not going with the first instinct), but I always seem to get INTP.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts