Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello once again lady's and gentleman, through out my life I have never ever been able to watch "scary" movie's. I was wondering if all INTP's commonly had this problem or am I just a wuss. I was thinking that INTP's would see movies to be more scary then they actually are because we think of all the possibility's that could happen, so we would end up being more scarred of the images we made up in are minds then the actually movie it self.

Reactions: Vexilla Regis

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know that a lot of films could be based on real circumstances but I am always acutely aware that what I am watching is not 'real', therefore I do not tend to have any kind of emotional response to films. This is probebly why I don't tend to watch many films.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nope, not at all.
I can easily differentiate between what's on the screen (and thus can't affect me) and what's not.
I do have to say though... I was watching this movie a couple of months ago in the theaters, it was a thriller or something.
I was quite scared by it... until something happened involving demons or something at which point my heartbeat halved, cuz I knew that was never gonna happen in real life.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just a wuss then =( lol

Reactions: Vexilla Regis

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nah, just the outlook you have I guess. The movies never scare me directly, the problem I always have is after when my Ne decides to play around with it. Then it gets really messed up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I was a kid I could get pretty terrified. Heh, I had nightmares for weeks after watching What Lies Beneath. These days I'm still not a fan of horrors at all. It's that whole "you're supposed to feel this way" mindset, so I would rationalize even more to try and make intellectual plot connections, which usually aren't fruitful in most horrors. The scary parts that sometimes get me are the sudden, loud, and vivid surprises.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, I'm not scared of horror films. I usually laugh at them and all my friends who freak out.
However, I think some alien movies are scary, the alien has to be pretty convincing though. This might be because it could happen one day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can handle horror films and such if I have to, but I've never understood the attraction so many people have to them. They don't bring me any pleasure. Not to mention the fact that if something does manage to startle me, it momentarily breaks my stoic facade, and I'd rather that didn't happen.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Hello once again lady's and gentleman, through out my life I have never ever been able to watch "scary" movie's. I was wondering if all INTP's commonly had this problem or am I just a wuss. I was thinking that INTP's would see movies to be more scary then they actually are because we think of all the possibility's that could happen, so we would end up being more scarred of the images we made up in are minds then the actually movie it self.

Yes. For me it began when my father showed me Aliens and The Terminator. Its scary when you are 3. Later on i would watch Scream. And at that point, i stopped. Horror/Scary movies are perverse they deeply perturb me. The brutal stabbing of a person and the whole struggle as they slowly die. Those images stay with me for a while. Is beyond wrong. I often wonder at the rate we are going when Snuff films will be available of Netflix?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I haven't watched that many horror films, mostly because no one will go see them with me and I'm not old enough to go all by myself (according to my mom) and I can't be bothered to find one on Netflix, but I remember the X-files episode The Neighborhood freaking me out a lot when I was about 8 or 9.
I watched Underworld Revolution when I was about 9 with my dad at midnight once... That was an interesting experience. Wasn't really scared though...
I don't think that external imagery can really scare me, but when it involves my own imagery (aka my imagination), that's when I get scared. Some books will freak me out so much that I won't be able to settle down for a bit... Maybe because I'm introverted and I focus more on my internal world, so if my internal world is filled with creepy images then I'm scared.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Like some of the rest here, they had a major negative impact on me when I was a kidster, but now they are common fodder that I just roll my eyes over. This does not mean I would willingly watch any horror movie even now, but it's not something that would bother me if I see something similar in content that would otherwise be found in action films under a different setting, which I do watch. Real-life murder scenarios do get me thinking heavily though, mostly it reminds me of what people there are around me, in case I do forget, so it is kind of helpful sometimes to make me keep that watchful stance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. For me it began when my father showed me Aliens and The Terminator. Its scary when you are 3. Later on i would watch Scream. And at that point, i stopped. Horror/Scary movies are perverse they deeply perturb me. The brutal stabbing of a person and the whole struggle as they slowly die. Those images stay with me for a while. Is beyond wrong. I often wonder at the rate we are going when Snuff films will be available of Netflix?
When I was 3-5 I watched "The Grinch that stole Christmas" not the animated one, I started to cry and my mom took me to Chuck-y-Cheese, then I was happy in the ball pit =)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like some of the rest here, they had a major negative impact on me when I was a kidster, but now they are common fodder that I just roll my eyes over. This does not mean I would willingly watch any horror movie even now, but it's not something that would bother me if I see something similar in content that would otherwise be found in action films under a different setting, which I do watch. Real-life murder scenarios do get me thinking heavily though, mostly it reminds me of what people there are around me, in case I do forget, so it is kind of helpful sometimes to make me keep that watchful stance.
After watching "Dexter" I am fully aware of what people can do, witch is kinda weird because most INTP/INTJ think a lot like him including me.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
When I was 3-5 I watched "The Grinch that stole Christmas" not the animated one, I started to cry and my mom took me to Chuck-y-Cheese, then I was happy in the ball pit =)

Ball pits are awesome. Im going to have one installed in my house.

Reactions: Borrowed Lunacy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't watched that many horror films, mostly because no one will go see them with me and I'm not old enough to go all by myself (according to my mom) and I can't be bothered to find one on Netflix, but I remember the X-files episode The Neighborhood freaking me out a lot when I was about 8 or 9.
I watched Underworld Revolution when I was about 9 with my dad at midnight once... That was an interesting experience. Wasn't really scared though...
I don't think that external imagery can really scare me, but when it involves my own imagery (aka my imagination), that's when I get scared. Some books will freak me out so much that I won't be able to settle down for a bit... Maybe because I'm introverted and I focus more on my internal world, so if my internal world is filled with creepy images then I'm scared.
A couple years back I was reading a book I think it was "Narnia" which has very few pictures in it, it was describing a skeleton I had the image in my mind perfectly when I turned the page my heart skipped a beat and jumped back not expecting a picture of what I imaged I stopped reading for a day and next time I read I covered up up the page with my hand, while typing this in deep thought my phone rang and I jumped lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ball pits are awesome. Im going to have one installed in my house.
I want to have a toilet seat that can recline, also I would want a foam pit they had one in my gymnastics's class, the pit seemed huge when I was 6 now it seems tiny.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Couldn't be further from the truth for me. I've yet to see a horror film that'll give me nightmares.
I'm the person rolling my eyes during the film and chuckling at others' reactions.

Subtle is always best.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I find most horror movies stupid and boring. Most seem to just rely on startling the audience which gets me pretty good but doesn't actually make for good film. Philosophical movies like Inception, Donnie Darko, Memento, and The Shawshank Redemption (just to name a few) usually emotionally get to me and invoke a strange emotion that I guess I could most closely relate to creepiness or erieness but no, actual horror movies don't scare me aside from the startle factor during the movie itself.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts