Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have an impression of us INTPs being too lazy to work towards efficient results in secondary school, and in that way making it hard to get accepted at world class unviersities like Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and Harvard, but it might be just me and faulty assumptions based on stereotypes? I will use my own situation as an example, I don't think I can ever earn that B in P.E on my secondary leaving certificate required to even be considered at Oxford(you need B's in each subject with no exceptions, good luck with that, mvwho) and even though it is something I have wanted for several years now, I just cannot see myself working towards such a goal because I always assume that it will be okay, and that I will earn the required B eventually, no matter how hopeless it in reality is, and the fact that the best grade I have ever gotten in P.E is a lousy C. I do not know why I am like this, but it is definietly a fatal flaw.

Many INTPs, like myself, are theorists and many of us are also academics with years and years of higher education, but to be taken up as a student at the top universities in the world, you have to be the best, right? If you have straight A's in every theoretical subject but a C in P.E, you are only the second best if there is a candidate who also has straight A's except from a B in P.E and let's say a B in mathematics. Then you will be put second, and this is something that really, really discourages me(and the mere thought of physical activity exhausts me.)

·
Registered
569 Posts
There's actually plentifully active INTPs who enjoy sports, also ones that totally hate it. Is there any kind of sports that engages you, and which you can enjoy?

I'm also little curious, it reads ENFP in your profile, ENTP in you signature but you talk about yourself as INTP. How did you come up with these?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm a rising high school senior and I don't particularly want to go to a top university (for undergrad; I have GOT to get into a top university for grad). I prefer small colleges. I also want to live near home (the college at the top of my list is less than an hour away). I think other INTP's would prefer small colleges as well. I'm not sure about the "living near home" part, though.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm also going into my senior year of high school. I'm pretty lazy but I still have good grades. Can't be bothered to do homework a lot of the time but still ace tests (which is why I can't WAIT for the college classroom). I'm just gonna go to a state school and move on with my life.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm pretty lazy, too. Luckily, you don't need to work hard in high school to get good grades. You WILL have to work hard in college, though. I'm taking a couple of college classes right now; it's not easy.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Depends on the individual, but the laziness and questioning of authority INTPs undergo in their earlier years (and even later) would deter many from going to "world class universities." I'd say they are probably more unlikely than many types.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Reactions: cades

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm going to the University of Central Florida and classes start in 2 weeks. I definitely wouldn't say that it is a world class university tho lol. I just chose it because they have a deal with my local community college to transfer every credit which a lot of colleges won't do, and besides they are like 45 mins from my house.

But I'm defintely too lazy to even get into a world class uni, especially not pass classes. But what is up with your P.E. class lol? Mine is you just have to show up, sometimes. Honesly kids skipped it a lot and still passed. And you are suppose to dress out, but if you just wear school colors it is fine lol.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If it's true, I hope to be an exception. I'm still a few years away from graduating high school, and I still have very little idea what I want to do yet, but so far in high school I've had straight A's, even in PE, good reports from my teachers, and have only grown to love the whole business more. Who knows where I might be able to go?

INTP's aren't necessarily lazy, as such; we just don't devote as much energy to things we see little point in. For me, however, my education- my formal education, in particular- is something very important to me, and so I focus on it. My dream would be to go to a world-class university, so I do my best to get there.

Reactions: associative

·
Registered
421 Posts
If it's true, I hope to be an exception. I'm still a few years away from graduating high school, and I still have very little idea what I want to do yet, but so far in high school I've had straight A's, even in PE, good reports from my teachers, and have only grown to love the whole business more. Who knows where I might be able to go?

INTP's aren't necessarily lazy, as such; we just don't devote as much energy to things we see little point in. For me, however, my education- my formal education, in particular- is something very important to me, and so I focus on it. My dream would be to go to a world-class university, so I do my best to get there.
From personal experience: in the UK plenty of INTPs attend world class universities.
Source: my university experience (Bristol - World ranking 74); my colleagues at work in the lab.

Cambridge, in particular, seems to produce the INTP alpha-geek type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts