Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken 2 or 3 types of tests, countless times, for the past 3 years, and they all had me as an INTP, but l keep wondering if maybe I really am an INFP..could the tests be that wrong?

I mean, I wanna express my unique individuality, and all that, but I also want to know the laws of the Universe..I have dreamed of being a genius since I was 5..what does that make me? Could you be somewhere in between 2 personality types?

But, back to the main question..is it common for INTPs to want a deep, emotional/passionate connection with someone, or are they really frigid all the time?:mellow:

·
Registered
50 Posts
You're probably a lot like me, Mantis. I just got done replying to your post in my thread, but basically I've found that when it comes to close relationships I behave more like an INFP than INTP. Also remember that just because you have x y and z cognitive functions dominant doesn't mean that you don't use the others. It just mean they aren't necessarily as dominant. You could very well have developed one of your functions beyond that of an INTP, but the majority of the time you prefer those related to an INTP. Those are just my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have taken 2 or 3 types of tests, countless times, for the past 3 years, and they all had me as an INTP, but l keep wondering if maybe I really am an INFP..could the tests be that wrong?

I mean, I wanna express my unique individuality, and all that, but I also want to know the laws of the Universe..I have dreamed of being a genius since I was 5..what does that make me? Could you be somewhere in between 2 personality types?

But, back to the main question..is it common for INTPs to want a deep, emotional/passionate connection with someone, or are they really frigid all the time?:mellow:
Hmm I think most human beings want that.. I sure do. We are not frigid, just rational. =P Emotions are scary and messy.. but they still bring interesting and necessary things to out life.

·
Registered
749 Posts
One of my best friends is INFP, and he sticks to his own morals no matter what. I stick to my principles no matter what. So most of the time my principles are in line with his morals; however, when they clash it leads to immensely overwrought debates that sometimes can get pretty ugly.

If you want to know what you are for sure you need to learn if you use Fi, or Ti. If Fi sounds more you, then you're INFP. Also, my INFP friend is obsessed with reading all of Hawking's books and all that other jazz. Any type can have a penchant for understanding. Learning the cognitive functions (Ti, Fi, etc.) and which one feels more 'you' is the best way to accurately type yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd definitely say so, but perhaps we go about it in a more detached manner as seeming to not care, because maybe we are also realistic about and don't want to get our hopes too high? After all we are emotional beings. We deny being lonely but really want some form of companionship.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think all types want to find that soulmate. I think for T types in particular, this can be one of the rarer instances where they might feel intense connection. In some ways that can make it seem even more special.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't believe in "soul"mates but I do believe INTPs can fall in love and be very passionate with/to that person. Most of the time you're not always 100% I N T or P, so you could be 55% T and 45% F.... that little bit more could make you a T but you still have a lot of those F traits. I feel like I border F, but that's only because of my relationship with my boyfriend. In all other aspects, I'm T all the way.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
INTP's can feel passionately inside, but we just don't express it (and we are more concerned with rational principles than feelings, as has been stated). The only way to know is to figure out if you relate more with Ti or Fi, which has also already been stated.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Not uncommon at all. The difference between T and F isn't that F types have emotions and Ts don't. It's that Fs base their rational decisions on them. We don't.

With regards to whether you're an INFP, the tests could very well have been wrong. In particular, if you're under a great deal of stress, your inferior function (Fe for an INTP, Te for an INFP) can come out. Since the inferior function has a habit of "taking over", it can convince you that you're really of the opposite function.

Do this: instead of focusing on how you feel, focus on your habits. Do you habitually find yourself basing decisions on logic (T), or your relationship to other people?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wish i could be more open and trusting with my thoughts and emotions. When i want to say something i usually tell myself don't bother, they will either not understand or wont care. I've gotten used to not saying whats on my mind. I hate that i can't express my emotions properly, and people don't understand that either. I feel like a misunderstood outcast. That makes me 'frigid' most of the time. I would want that emotional/passionate connection only with my SO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're probably a lot like me, Mantis. I just got done replying to your post in my thread, but basically I've found that when it comes to close relationships I behave more like an INFP than INTP. Also remember that just because you have x y and z cognitive functions dominant doesn't mean that you don't use the others. It just mean they aren't necessarily as dominant. You could very well have developed one of your functions beyond that of an INTP, but the majority of the time you prefer those related to an INTP. Those are just my thoughts anyway.
I've never actually had a relationship..maybe that adds extra intensity to my emotional side? :crazy:

But, yeah, I agree. I am sure I am an INTP. The thing is I am manic-depressive. Yesterday I was depressive, and over-emotional, and when I get like that I feel too much and can't control myself, so I probabbly act more like an INFP.
But when I'm stable, like today, I go back to my love of thinking and finding the general rules behind everything.:proud:

I do have a strong feeling side, too, though I guess it might have something to do with growing up in a house full of repressed emotions, fraught with the sad memories of having lost a child, and dealing with my father's alcoholism...I learned to decode my parents' emotions from a very very early age..and also growing up being overweight, and having to deal with all kinds of criticisms have probably made me more careful with the emotional sides of life, and more careful in dealing with other people's feelings, and detecting vulnerabilities..

Though I might have always been somewhere right in between an INTP and INFP. As a child, I used to spend most of my time drawing, painting, watching discovery channel..lol.
My teacher actually remembered me for being the best in natural science and drawing/English(which is a foreign language to me).
I was obsessed with animals, and I told the teacher I wanted to be a marine biologist when I grew up. I was 6 at the time.
I actually didn't even remember this until she reminded me of it, when I graduated middle school, at the end of the 8th grade.
I've really strayed from my path, but I'm still interested in knowing the origins of species..and then, I also still need an artistic outlet..I paint in water colors, every now and then. Nothing fancy, though I was top of my class at drawing, when I was in middle school. I took part in several exhibitions, at that time, organized by our art teacher.

In the first 4 grades I was known for being really good at creative writing..funny how I started out so promisingly, and now I'm like totally lost in translation..:unsure:
I guess 6 years of depression can do that to you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish i could be more open and trusting with my thoughts and emotions. When i want to say something i usually tell myself don't bother, they will either not understand or wont care. I've gotten used to not saying whats on my mind. I hate that i can't express my emotions properly, and people don't understand that either. I feel like a misunderstood outcast. That makes me 'frigid' most of the time. I would want that emotional/passionate connection only with my SO.

same, here. I feel blocked when it comes to expressing my emotions..I just feel I can't do it. I guess that it's mostly a fear of being misunderstood, or showing my vulnerable side.

I think it's easier this way-people think I'm emotionally and sexually underdeveloped, so they leave me alone..lol.

What's your "SO"?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of my best friends is INFP, and he sticks to his own morals no matter what. I stick to my principles no matter what. So most of the time my principles are in line with his morals; however, when they clash it leads to immensely overwrought debates that sometimes can get pretty ugly.

If you want to know what you are for sure you need to learn if you use Fi, or Ti. If Fi sounds more you, then you're INFP. Also, my INFP friend is obsessed with reading all of Hawking's books and all that other jazz. Any type can have a penchant for understanding. Learning the cognitive functions (Ti, Fi, etc.) and which one feels more 'you' is the best way to accurately type yourself.
"Introverted Feeling (Fi) is an internal “compass” judgment function that makes subjective decisions based on personal feelings, morals and values."

hmmmm. Doesn't everybody make decisions based on values, though? If you value logic more than anything, you make decisions on it..
I definitely don't make decisions based on feelings or morals, however..

"Introverted Thinking (Ti) is an internal “compass” judgment function that allows us to make decisions based upon internal, subjective logical deductions."

I don't quite get the difference between these two. But I say the second sounds like me. I am building a huge puzzle in my head since early childhood, and taking every new info as a piece that needs to be fitted in.

·
Registered
341 Posts
same, here. I feel blocked when it comes to expressing my emotions..I just feel I can't do it. I guess that it's mostly a fear of being misunderstood, or showing my vulnerable side.

I think it's easier this way-people think I'm emotionally and sexually underdeveloped, so they leave me alone..lol.

What's your "SO"?
SO = Significant Other, the person you're in a relationship with (or was, or will be or plan to be...)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm passionate about things..

I have some emotions. I just don't use them to make decisions.. except in the rare cases of anger getting the better of me. I can snap sometimes, and everything comes out all at once. Is that passion?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When you have the ability to see so many different possible outcomes, and then you think about how you would react to to them, how can you not be passionate in your real interests?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I FEED on passion. I NEED it. Intellect is a passion, connection is a passion. If anything, the INTPs I have met are the most passionate people I know.

Passion is the driving force behind the INTP, and they would be lost without it. I consider it one of our fundamental properties.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That word makes me cringe.

I'm insatiably curious and enticed by systemics, and I sometimes experience fiery bursts of mania and infatuation with existence. You could say I have passion for perception.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts