Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? Which personality basks under the limelight of trolling? Are INTP's the most effective, due to their amoral method of thought? Or could an INFJ with the right demeanor really set the fireworks off?

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
ENTPs generally tend to make more effective trolls than INTPs. Either can rile me up, but ENTPs seem to enjoy it more. If an INTP is also a type 6 on the enneagram, sometimes this allows for a kind of trolling that I consider especially entertaining and endearing, but I can't quite describe it in a way that distinguishes it from ordinary trolling. It has a different feel to it, where the troll is slightly arrogant in a cute, desperate way instead of being sadistic or doing it solely for entertainment. The type 6 INTP trolls tend to respect me, are drawn to me as a protector, despite being the kinds of people who would never admit to having any weakness, and are therefore less scary than the kinds who like making people cry just because they can. The motives behind it seem to be different. I'll try to get back to you on this.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
No, I never troll. People who know me would say I do it all the time, but that's not true. Trolling is done for the sake of the enjoyment of pissing someone off. I do it for the mind games themselves. If nobody ever got bored or offended, I would be extremely happy. In fact, the people who take it and give it right back are the ones I tend to like the most. If the price of finding such connections is an eternal grudge from some random ISFJ or similar, so be it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would hate to think so. I know of very little that can even get an emotional response from me. I was thinking about a thread in general called 'Try and make me mad' heh. I am type 9 and trolling is not my thing.

Now, if I see someone who is trolling others who are giving valid or emotional responses, I may troll them out of boredom and for laughs. I trolled a guy in my local paper forum for a few days. He called everyone that disagreed with him extreme names and tried to be as awful as he could. I felt a civic duty to attack him. I would say the same things to his face.

I read somewhere that an INTP with a below average IQ has a greater risk of turning to crime. I do not know if trolling would fall into 'crime'.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ENTPs It has a different feel to it, where the troll is slightly arrogant in a cute, desperate way instead of being sadistic or doing it solely for entertainment.
Haha, maybe there should be an encyclopedia for the types of trolls on the internet and how to react to them by only using Shakespeare quotes. The first chapter would be called "It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock". The second could be titled "Lord, what fools these mortals be".

ENTPs probably make sense as one of the more effective trolls. I would like to hear from an INFJ troll, though. What is the suicide rate for your victims?

·
Registered
672 Posts
God, I hope not.:proud:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I never troll. People who know me would say I do it all the time, but that's not true. Trolling is done for the sake of the enjoyment of pissing someone off. I do it for the mind games themselves. If nobody ever got bored or offended, I would be extremely happy. In fact, the people who take it and give it right back are the ones I tend to like the most. If the price of finding such connections is an eternal grudge from some random ISFJ or similar, so be it.
So could we view trolling as a lesser art when compared to oneupmanship, satire, etc. Could trolling be seen as a garage band while Voltaire and his work would be seen as an evolution of trolling for a greater purpose. Or is trolling just a cheap imitation of the individual listed above?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't troll, but I did a little bit when I was a silly teenager.

My friend is kind of a real life troll. She's not the internet type, but she's always winding people up for her own amusement. I think she's an ISTP.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'll sometimes crack jokes, but I never really "troll." It just doesn't entertain me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
ENTP with INTP closely behind.

Reactions: SamuelLowry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll sometimes crack jokes, but I never really "troll." It just doesn't entertain me.
I am beginning to think that many of the INTP's here view trolling as a cruder version of their more sophisticated play. Is it safe to say that trolling is viewed as not being worth the effort, since it is too easy? What would you guys call the step up from trolling? I think I should have titled this thread along the lines of what another poster mentioned. Which personality type if so inclined, would make the most effective troll?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
ENTPs usually make the best trolls - why do you think they get banned from this forum en masse? :p

in MBTI sense I would say that best trolls would be those who can project emotional reaction of their target with high accuracy and then proceed to enjoy it as way of personal entertainment leading to extensive practice in this field - as such it would be a personality type that has feeling and thinking functionalities close together that would be most given into urges to troll as well as make most proficient trolls - INTP's feeling function is their inferior as such they simply would not appreciate trolling for what it is, INFPs feeling function is their primary as such they would simply find it distasteful to rally people up for their own entertainment - following from this, i would expect ENxPs and INxJs to troll and be most proficient in trolling, INFPs and ENFJs will be against the idea on grounds that they don't derive satisfaction from it, INTPs and ENTJs will claim to have competence but defer to lack of interest

as for who makes best trolls, intuitives or sensors, TeFi types or FeTi types, depends on situation and the target audience about to be trolled I suppose

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Thanks, that was rather insightful. You forgot to mention your thoughts on INFJ's though:wink:
... umm, I was hoping you would not notice >.> ...

my thoughts on INFJ trolling is that we may or may not troll

1 - 20 of 45 Posts