Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my understanding IQ tests have multiple answers, some obvious and others more hidden.
The more hidden answers you get the higher your IQ is, so it would seem that if you're naturally intuitive the test would be in your favor while someone who naturally looks for the fastest solution would get a lower IQ.
Is this really true?
If so why don't they tell you this?

If this was already discussed, sorry I couldn't find it using the search button.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to take an IQ test, but I'm honestly afraid that I'll score really low and feel bad about myself.
I tend to choose whats most obvious when I'm taking these kinds of tests, and tend to feel unsure when I look for "hidden" answers as tend to feel that the most obvious answer should be the correct one.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
IQ-Tests, if anything, favor Ni.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
As an adult timed tests penalize cautious and creative thought processes. Adults just need enough intelligence and knowledge to complete most items and enough stupidity to do it like a robot. It can tell reliably if a kid is intellectually precocious or retarded. It was designed for that purpose anyway.

For adults, life is the test. If you can solve what no one solves, if you can invent what no one invents, you're smart. Or else you're average. And if you think you're smart despite not achieving any creative greatness, you're most likely below average.

Quite a few decades ago, a bunch of american savant idiots did a large scale IQ experience and kept track of the young students whose score was above 130. It occurs that many years later, two nobel prize winners who participated to that experience scored a tad BELOW 130, barely failing the test, and none of those above achieved anything significant.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
From my understanding IQ tests have multiple answers, some obvious and others more hidden.
Which tests are you talking about?

Is this really true?
I don't know about IQ tests in general, but test takers can score more points on one of the verbal subtests of the adult Wechsler if they give more than one definition of the given word.

If so why don't they tell you this?
Speaking of the example I gave above, the test administrator asked me if I had more to add to my answer, but didn't say anything about the scoring specifically.

I assume that would defeat the purpose of the test in some way.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
It's in favor of the rational thinking types.
What he said.

Plus I'm not a huge fan of the IQ test. We can do without it.

Reactions: Glenda Gnome Starr

·
Yaybe
4,213 Posts
I have won, for test I've done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For adults, life is the test. If you can solve what no one solves, if you can invent what no one invents, you're smart. Or else you're average. And if you think you're smart despite not achieving any creative greatness, you're most likely below average..
Sorry if this is a bad argument but here we go.

If you had 2 people and they had the same intelligence, but different personalities, one believes the more obvious choice is the most correct, while the other believe the more complex is the best, and because of that he would get a higher IQ score no?
If the first person knew the more complex the better he would get the same score, no?

then again I don't have any experience with taking IQ tests or how they work for the most part, this is just a thought that came to mind.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
@Jeremi intelligence (inter legere) is not solely the ability to find the right answer, but to ask the right question and identify the superior issue. If I had to design an IQ test, instead of presenting one issue at a time, I would present many and ask people to analyze and decide which one is more fundamental. Because that's where all the genius lies.

That is an epistemological aspect of intelligence which is a product of our personalities, or two aspects of a same function. So different personalities cannot perform the same. There is only one epistemologically optimal personality, and a vast array of deviances. Different personalities cannot perform the same when it comes to ask the right question. At best, they can fail at the same point for opposite reasons. The more an issue is fundamental, the more apparent it is.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
optimal personality
lol

Also, solving and inventing as criteria for intelligence is a flawed concept. Those things only display what a person chooses to do with their mind, they don't measure it. Extremely different things, not to mention slanted to a very specific type of intelligence, it would seem. Creating something for society doesn't make me more intelligent, it just makes me useful. But since people are fundamentally selfish creatures, I'm not at all surprised at this type of judgement.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Are IQ tests tilted in favor of Intuitive types?

Whether the answer is yes or no; it doesn't matter. (So you can jumble up a few words, and remove the question mark from the sentence in bold)

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,093 Posts
If you had 2 people and they had the same intelligence, but different personalities, one believes the more obvious choice is the most correct, while the other believe the more complex is the best, and because of that he would get a higher IQ score no?
If the first person knew the more complex the better he would get the same score, no?
Then they would both score the same, because it doesn't matter what conclusion they gonna reach, it matters why they reach it and how they do that, also in what period of time.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts