Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,470 Posts
in my experience yes, but when vulnerable
they may be over-emotional in a way that resembles an ISFJ, like getting triggered over small things and maybe twisting things they would otherwise understand through their Ti and become hurt by them

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Generally speaking, no. They have the same functions so you can get the two mixed up in that way but it really only usually happens if you don't know the person very well but can see what functions they use.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I think people usually have more in common when it comes to functions than letters but not always. As an ISTP I have more in common with ENFJs than I do with ESFJs or ENFPs even though by letters ENFJs are the exact opposite.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
No, ISFJs are fundamentally different from INTPs through both a Jungian and MBTI perspective.

Jung believed that the auxiliary function shared the orientation of the dominant function, when sufficiently differentiated and developed in the consciousness. He considered the tertiary to mostly be unconscious and sharing the orientation of the inferior. He noted that sometimes the tertiary could be made conscious, but in being made conscious, it still carried the taint of the inferior.

The functions are better thought of not so much as eight functions completely separated by E/I, but instead the same four functions with varying proportions of E/I. For example, Jung noted that Extraverted Thinking types generally had a subjective factor to their thinking, and considered a pure Introverted Thinking type to have unconscious, extraverted functions.

In other words, to assert that ISFJ and ISFP would have completely different functions would not be Jungian, as they are both introverts who prefer S and F with an introverted lean. It is also not Jungian to assert that ISFJ and INTP use the same functions in a slightly different order, as their top two functions would be opposite, and they would share little in common beyond being introverts.

This viewpoint is also inconsistent with the MBTI dichotomies. ISFJs and ISFPs share a lot in common because they are both I + S + F + IS + IF + SF + ISF, while ISFJs are otherwise complete opposites of INTPs beyond both being introverts.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,470 Posts
in my experience yes, but when vulnerable
they may be over-emotional in a way that resembles an ISFJ, like getting triggered over small things and maybe twisting things they would otherwise understand through their Ti and become hurt by them
oh wow i completely misread the OP hahah @johncena i thought you asked if INTPs can behave like ISFJs

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I don't know if ISFJs are more similar to INTPs or ISFPs, but it's something I've been wondering about a lot. I think they can defently be much more similar than what's often described. I think it might be something that's not either/or, but might depend on the individual. Where some ISFJs are going to me more INTP or ENTP like while others will be more ISFP like, with others even being more similar to ISTJs or INFPs.

I don't think ISFJ/INTP is unique in this way, but that it's the same for INFP/ISTJ INTJ/ISFP and ENTP/ESFJ. I would think it would go in in a similar way, but those are the main ones from my experience, and I could be 100% wrong about this. :eek:h:

I've been confused by this though as I'm probably either INTP or ISFJ, and then if not, ENTP or ESFJ, but can't tell which one. Even if I only consider functions or only consider dichotomy, I still can't tell. :confused:

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
Are ISFJ closer to INTP than they are to ISFP because of similar functions?
Closer to ISFP in behavior, but closer to INTP in terms of how they think.

Reactions: Aluminum Frost

·
Banned
200 Posts
Resemble ISFP behavior but not as eccentric or rule breaking, can be equally as lazy and polite. Resemble INTP being quietly judgmental with their Ti. They way they speak is sort of similar to INTPs also, although INTPs usually have more depth to what they say

·
Banned
692 Posts
Yes, I would believe so.

ISFJ's have a tendency to engage in Si-Ti loops, and INTP's in Ti-Si.

INTP's can be quite fond of their Si and in those moods, you could easily mistake them for a higher order Si user. ISFJ's can be very strong in Ti; if you venture over to the ISFJ forum you'll see quite a few posters that you would confuse for INTP's.

I think it depends on the ISFJ/INTP though. Thinking back, the more Fe heavy ISFJ's probably give off more of the SF vibes that make them resemble ISFP's. But ISFJ's with very well developed introverted functions (engaging that Si-Ti) will be more likely to resemble INTP's. Similar to how INFJ's with high Ti start to give off IxTP vibes.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
ISFJs and INTPs are nothing alike and don't think alike either imo.

The idea that the two types share more similarities than an ISFP and an ISFJ - two types who have to select the same answers in tests to receive ISFx results, obviously - is beyond preposterous and not supported by any credible research.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
ISFJs and INTPs are nothing alike and don't think alike either imo.

The idea that the two types share more similarities than an ISFP and an ISFJ - two types who have to select the same answers in tests to receive ISFx results, obviously - is beyond preposterous and not supported by any credible research.
I often score INTP on tests, and never score ISFJ or ISFP. People in person even think I'm INTP, including one professor back in college that had been using MBTI as a teaching tool for over 20 years and went over the results to a very long, drawn out test(not sure what test it was, it was a paper test) with everyone individually. This might not be common though, but I don't think it would be so uncommon to be considered preposterous, but it's hard to tell, and people can work with different definitions of preposterous so I'm not sure if you're saying it's impossible or just very unlikely, but I still wouldn't say it's really that unlikely. :idunno:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I often score INTP on tests, and never score ISFJ or ISFP. People in person even think I'm INTP, including one professor back in college that had been using MBTI as a teaching tool for over 20 years and went over the results to a very long, drawn out test(not sure what test it was, it was a paper test) with everyone individually. This might not be common though, but I don't think it would be so uncommon to be considered preposterous, but it's hard to tell, and people can work with different definitions of preposterous so I'm not sure if you're saying it's impossible or just very unlikely, but I still wouldn't say it's really that unlikely. :idunno:
It's beyond preposterous, about as ridiculous as consistently typing as an INTP, being professionally? typed as an INTP and then typing yourself as an ISFJ due to what - some technicality related to "cognitive functions" that are practically disproven and not supported by any credible studies or research.

Which more accurately reflects "you"?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
It's beyond preposterous, about as ridiculous as consistently typing as an INTP, being professionally? typed as an INTP and then typing yourself as an ISFJ due to what - some technicality related to "cognitive functions" that are practically disproven and not supported by any credible studies or research.

Which more accurately reflects "you"?

Not neccessarily based on cognitive functions, but even with dichotomy alone I lean towards ISFJ. I've spent a lot of effort trying to combine them and look at them separately , along with Enneagram and Socionics. I admit, I very well could just be confused with understanding myself and/or the theory, but it seems less likely the more time goes by. :blushed:

I could be wrong about this too, you appear to know the test/processes better than I do. But, I think there are so many more aspects to a person's personality that we are currently unable to measure. I wouldn't say it's preposterous for anyone to test differently on any axis or even appear as any of the other 15 different types. For any possible combination of two types appearing similar or any type mistyping or getting incorrect test results, I don't think there's a single preposterous one. Improbable, unlikely, or unusual, sure, but not preposterous.

Also, I could be completely wrong about this, but I get the idea that MBTI only deals with natural preferences. But, humans are complex creatures and I don't think we always live by our natural preferences. It seems like people can be less open to this idea with the S/N axis than they are with other axes, especially with I/E and P/J. It seems like part of the difficulty with dichotomy is separating natural preference from learned preference.

I could be looking at it the wrong way and mistyping myself, but ISFJ makes more sense, even though in many ways I'm more N, T, and P. But I don't view these as my natural preferences, just learned preferences. :thinking2:

To answer the questions:

1. I enjoys exploring abstract ideas and possibilities.

2. I like information to be presented in the form of details.

3. I focus on the present and enjoy things as they are.

4. Contribute creative ideas, following my inspiration.

5. I proceed in a random fashion, missing out unnecessary steps.

6. An idealist, with extreme, with my head in the clouds.

7. I tend to use things for the purpose they were intended.

8. Sets goals that are specific for what's about to be achieved.

9. Prefer to invent my own solutions.

Also, on different tests, I'm always confused by the difference between "prefer" and "enjoy". Because many things I prefer I wouldn't say I enjoy, and many things I enjoy I wouldn't say I prefer. :confused:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Not neccessarily based on cognitive functions, but even with dichotomy alone I lean towards ISFJ. I've spent a lot of effort trying to combine them and look at them separately , along with Enneagram and Socionics. I admit, I very well could just be confused with understanding myself and/or the theory, but it seems less likely the more time goes by. :blushed:

I could be wrong about this too, you appear to know the test/processes better than I do. But, I think there are so many more aspects to a person's personality that we are currently unable to measure. I wouldn't say it's preposterous for anyone to test differently on any axis or even appear as any of the other 15 different types. For any possible combination of two types appearing similar or any type mistyping or getting incorrect test results, I don't think there's a single preposterous one. Improbable, unlikely, or unusual, sure, but not preposterous.

Also, I could be completely wrong about this, but I get the idea that MBTI only deals with natural preferences. But, humans are complex creatures and I don't think we always live by our natural preferences. It seems like people can be less open to this idea with the S/N axis than they are with other axes, especially with I/E and P/J. It seems like part of the difficulty with dichotomy is separating natural preference from learned preference.

I could be looking at it the wrong way and mistyping myself, but ISFJ makes more sense, even though in many ways I'm more N, T, and P. But I don't view these as my natural preferences, just learned preferences. :thinking2:

To answer the questions:

1. I enjoys exploring abstract ideas and possibilities.

2. I like information to be presented in the form of details.

3. I focus on the present and enjoy things as they are.

4. Contribute creative ideas, following my inspiration.

5. I proceed in a random fashion, missing out unnecessary steps.

6. An idealist, with extreme, with my head in the clouds.

7. I tend to use things for the purpose they were intended.

8. Sets goals that are specific for what's about to be achieved.

9. Prefer to invent my own solutions.

Also, on different tests, I'm always confused by the difference between "prefer" and "enjoy". Because many things I prefer I wouldn't say I enjoy, and many things I enjoy I wouldn't say I prefer. :confused:
I haven't got time to respond "properly", but the kind of analytic criticism and emphasis on definitions you employed in this post indicates an innate preference for T, imo.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
No, they process the world in a vastly different way. The functions might be the same, but the positions that they're in drastically change how one works in relation to another.

ISFJs lead with Si, which is a Perceiving function that uses Sensing to interpret data.
INTPs lead with Ti, which is a judging Function that uses Thinking to organize data.

The only similarity in those functions is that they're both introverted, but this is already obvious because both types are introverted.

The first two functions are the ones who shape your cognitive process the most, and both ISFJs and ISFPs use Sensing and Feeling in different orders to process the world. INTPs use Thinking and Intuition first, so it's unlikely that you will confuse the two -- unless they're in a unbalanced state of mind, which is not their default.

Edit:

I will say, though, that they do share some similarities beyond just functions. Both ISFJs and INTPs tend to be rather passive, and, sometimes, child-like in their demeanor. Also, depending on external factors, like Enneagram type or upbringing, you can confuse the two. For example, female INTPs might be taught to act more like SFJs, and male ISFJs might be taught to act more like STPs due to gender roles. But those cases are the exceptions rather than the rule.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
How? This was about functions, not letters.
Exactly - I've targeted the actual problem.
Too much wankery with regards to "functions".
Nobody can even define them without some dickhead complaining about it so there's got to be zero credibility in their validity for this reason alone, lol.

ISFJs and ISFPs share infinitely more in common than ISFJs and INTPs who's only similarity is introversion.

Outside of that, they gather information differently, they make decisions differently and they approach the outside world differently.

Anyone who thinks ISFJs share more in common with an INTP than an ISFJ is out of their mind.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts